Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know anything about saxophones

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2004, 01:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know anything about saxophones

Went down the pub tonight, got the beer in and sat down. Heard the first few notes of 'Ain't she sweet' on a sax. Suddenly my mind started rolling back to 1986, when I met a girl from Denmark who played Aint she sweet in a way that used to give me goosebumps. I had those goosebumps again, turned round and sure enough, there was Aine standing on stage doing her best at looking gorgeous and sounding absolutely fantastic.

Anyway - enough days gone by (when all this was just fields - she remembered me btw - God I must have been a handsome 15yo )

I now want to buy a sax and learn to play it(specifically Aint she sweet and the theme tune from pink panther). Probably just a drunken notion, but I shall buy one on the morrow !!!

Question is - what do you call a normal sized sax, can you get a cheapie that will satisfy silly notions and how much should I be expecting to pay for a beginners model?

more importantly - I am reasonably good musically - play keyboard, fiddle, *cough*banjo bodhran and drums. What are the chances of me being able to download enough info from the net to teach myself?

Last edited by fast bloke; 23 September 2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old 23 September 2004, 07:54 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Went down the pub tonight, got the beer in and sat down. Heard the first few notes of 'Ain't she sweet' on a sax. Suddenly my mind started rolling back to 1986, when I met a girl from Denmark who played Aint she sweet in a way that used to give me goosebumps. I had those goosebumps again, turned round and sure enough, there was Aine standing on stage doing her best at looking gorgeous and sounding absolutely fantastic.

Anyway - enough days gone by (when all this was just fields - she remembered me btw - God I must have been a handsome 15yo )

I now want to buy a sax and learn to play it(specifically Aint she sweet and the theme tune from pink panther). Probably just a drunken notion, but I shall buy one on the morrow !!!

Question is - what do you call a normal sized sax, can you get a cheapie that will satisfy silly notions and how much should I be expecting to pay for a beginners model?

more importantly - I am reasonably good musically - play keyboard, fiddle, *cough*banjo bodhran and drums. What are the chances of me being able to download enough info from the net to teach myself?
The ideal sax to go for is the alto sax (the normal one you see)...you don't want to be going for bass sax's or the like, because those are only really uselful when you're in a group. A beginners one should cost you a couple of hundred pounds, and if you're mildly competeant at music, you can teach yourself quite easily....very nice instrument
Old 23 September 2004, 07:59 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I'd get a cheap clarinet to start with though, just to test the water..then if you can't stick it you'll probably lose less money/find it easier to sell on. 'fraid to say I quit the sax when I was 14 and moved to England....really wish I'd kept at it now
Cman
Old 23 September 2004, 08:02 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Oops! So you can already read music...should be a piece of cake
C