Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Police can't even protect their own property!

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 11:25 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face The Police can't even protect their own property!

News just in from Holland - Last night 55 police vehicles were set alight in Apeldoorn, a town roughly between Amsterdam and the German border. A serial arsonist is on the loose as this was about he 6th incident to befall the police in as many towns, in as many months. Around 70 police vehicles have been torched so far.

http://www.politie.nl/noord_en_oost_...zoek_brand.asp
(link in Dutch)

Whilst of course I p1ssed off that someone is sending all my tax Euros up in smoke, I enjoy the irony that the guardians of law and order cannot even secure their own property. Not much hope for the general public then...

Suresh
Old 22 September 2004, 01:44 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Eh??

So what do you want. The police officer to stand guarding his car at all times, therefore not answer any calls????
Old 22 September 2004, 02:08 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the Tuf Tuf Club home page is now only available in Dutch. However, I think examination of the page ( http://www.tt-c.nl/ ) will reveal that many in the Dutch police force spend their days sitting in their cars eating donuts and reading the paper while supervising speed cameras, sometimes even hidden in wheelie bins, collecting donations from passing motorists.

I suspect that the fruits of this labour are now being seen just as similar action on the part of the British police is resulting in decreasing public confidence and cooperation in this country. We have seen Captain Gatso take to destroying speed cameras and I guess it is only a matter of time before we see more direct attacks upon police officers or their equipment. As if they don't have enough on their hands without that.
Old 22 September 2004, 02:27 PM
Clett
Scooby Regular

My parents looked outside the window the other day to see their jeep being stolen. (Later found out it was a drunk who had already crashed another car near the top of the farm track, and was looking for a fresh one to continue progress.)

So, called the police, described location, direction etc and waited. About an hour later, the police turned up at the doorstep.... on foot!

Turns out, they had found the jeep in a ditch off the road and gone to investigate. The thief had been hiding behind the other side of the jeep as they had gone round it, then legged it and stole their police car!

Made it another 100 miles or so before he was caught!
Old 24 September 2004, 06:46 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clett
So, called the police, described location, direction etc and waited. About an hour later, the police turned up at the doorstep.... on foot!

Turns out, they had found the jeep in a ditch off the road and gone to investigate. The thief had been hiding behind the other side of the jeep as they had gone round it, then legged it and stole their police car!
ooops!

If the car was being stolen its pointless going to the home address as the car has already gone. The police will do an 'area search' and at which the car was found. If its close by they may send someone on foot to obtain crime details.

If a police car spots the stolen car in a ditch he will investigate - on his own initially if he is the first there. Police cars often get left open, sometimes with keys in the ignition. eg a car chase where the stolen car is dumped in a dead end with a police car right behind it. The TWOC'er will leg it straight away - we don't have time to lock & secure cars as we will have no chance in catching the offender.

Here endeth the lesson
Old 24 September 2004, 09:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

Originally Posted by Felix.
we don't have time to lock & secure cars as we will have no chance in catching the offender.
I find that very hard to believe!

It takes a fraction of a second to take the key out of the ignition. If the car has remote central locking than it can be secured as you leave the car.

Putting aside the financial losses of stolen equipment and cars, surely maintaining control of your environment - thus having access to safety, emergency and protection equipment, plus the ability to rapidly relocate by vehicle, is FAR more important than saving half a second running after a criminal who may also be caught by other officers, helicopters etc. ??

mb
Old 24 September 2004, 10:35 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
I find that very hard to believe!

It takes a fraction of a second to take the key out of the ignition. If the car has remote central locking than it can be secured as you leave the car.

Putting aside the financial losses of stolen equipment and cars, surely maintaining control of your environment - thus having access to safety, emergency and protection equipment, plus the ability to rapidly relocate by vehicle, is FAR more important than saving half a second running after a criminal who may also be caught by other officers, helicopters etc. ??

mb
We should just be thankful that the police in this country don't all carry firearms!