Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advisory Speed Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 10:26 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advisory Speed Limits?

Has anyone got any info on the above? preferably from an 'official' looking site?

Just trying to collate as much info as possible for an Insurance claim ...Nervous Norris swerved from lane 2 into lane 1 whilst braking ...reason, he didnt realise i was there ...& hit the brakes because of a '40' advisory limit(sharpish bend off a slip road) ...its A50/A6 interchange heading into Derby if anyone knows it ...actual limit is NSL!

New front bumper & bonnet! & all four tyres need replacing due to feeling like im driving on 50p's!
Old 21 September 2004, 10:40 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Has anyone got any info on the above? preferably from an 'official' looking site?

Just trying to collate as much info as possible for an Insurance claim ...Nervous Norris swerved from lane 2 into lane 1 whilst braking ...reason, he didnt realise i was there ...& hit the brakes because of a '40' advisory limit(sharpish bend off a slip road) ...its A50/A6 interchange heading into Derby if anyone knows it ...actual limit is NSL!

New front bumper & bonnet! & all four tyres need replacing due to feeling like im driving on 50p's!
The advisory speed limit is simply just that, advise. if the road is NSL with an advisory speed limit, you are still within your your rights to be driving at 60 if single carriage way or 70 if duel carriageway. Advisory speed limits can in no way be enforced. provided you were not speeding in accordance to the NSL your fine.
Old 21 September 2004, 11:21 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said, it is not a speed limit unless it is on a circular sign with a red border (or NSL). You cannot be prosecuted for driving above an advisory speed limit but the Police can prosecute you for failing to heed the advice of a road sign (although it is unlikely). If nervous Norris has admitted that he didn't know you were there, he was either:

• in the wrong lane to begin with and not checked his mirrors before the manouvre
  • had recently overtaken you so should have known you were there
  • you were undertaking him

His admittance of driving without due care and attention should be enough to ensure you get a pay out though.
Old 21 September 2004, 11:50 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

He left the dual carriage way in the right hand lane ...not entirely sure why, as there isnt a junction/roundabout for about 3 miles ...I filtered across into lane 1 & was slowly catching him ...was about a car length behind him & was deciding whether to pull out & flash him or just cautiously undertake ...but didnt get chance to do either! doh!
Old 21 September 2004, 12:00 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

So why would a speed limit of 40 mean he had to get over to lane 1? He sounds like a member of the ever increasing 'Lane 1 below 50, lane 2 above it' brigade.
Old 21 September 2004, 12:21 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I think he may of initially seen me in the rear view ...wasnt sure if i was a copper or not (white car) ...has looked up & suddenly seen a '40 sign' & panicked ...he got out ranting about it being a forty limit whilst standing under an NSL sign, the dopey t1t!