Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Green Day- american idiot

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 07:16 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Green Day- american idiot

Wow what a tune! Don't normally like retro-punk-rip-off stuff, but this is a belter. And a quality video to boot!

Dougie
Old 20 September 2004, 07:40 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Jason, quite like greenday myself, even after what I posted above, but for some reason just think this is a stonker of a tune. MAybe its cos I havnt heard anythin from them for a while.
Ideal mad drivin tune methinks!

Dougie
Old 20 September 2004, 07:50 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Its classic green day, took me back 10 years hearing this track for the first time Most bands who release after a long period out of the public eye seem to try and fit in with what's 'cool' at the moment but they havent changed a bit... chuffed
Old 20 September 2004, 07:55 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

havent changed a bit...
you're not kidding, this tune could've come off any of their old albums.. not that i'm complaining - if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 20 September 2004, 08:19 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

My 6-year old loves Greenday. He's a drummer, I'm a guitarist and we like nothing better than bashing out half the "Dookie" album in the back bedroom of a teatime.

Old 20 September 2004, 08:23 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
My 6-year old loves Greenday. He's a drummer, I'm a guitarist and we like nothing better than bashing out half the "Dookie" album in the back bedroom of a teatime.
We need more kids like this! Less hip hop, RnB, airy fairy pop and more real music... there is hope
Old 20 September 2004, 08:29 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djuk
We need more kids like this! Less hip hop, RnB, airy fairy pop and more real music... there is hope
Your right! He's had exposure to all kinds of music, but as far as he's concerned, the faster it is the better he likes it. He's doing his best to master the drum breaks in the middle of "burnout" at the moment.
Old 20 September 2004, 08:34 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Has lil Frank tried any Def Leppard - local band and all that ?
Old 20 September 2004, 08:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

No, we're not big rock fans in our house. But he's expressed an interest in G'n'R recently.
Old 20 September 2004, 08:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

ahhh - November rain, that'll keep him busy for a while
Old 20 September 2004, 10:18 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Greenday done some superb tunes, this is another belter.

Almost Basketcase material
Old 20 September 2004, 11:36 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

When Busted (and the other shed load of UK tosspot groups) try to copy this style in those stupid mock American voices it makes me ****ing cringe.
Old 21 September 2004, 09:27 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

what I like about this tune is how true it is, american idiot, the idiot nation and all that superb lyrics wonder how it'll go down with the americans if it was released over there
Old 21 September 2004, 09:33 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
No, we're not big rock fans in our house. But he's expressed an interest in G'n'R recently.
Bwhahahaha, he'll have a bandanna round his head soon, and be swigging cold tea out of a Jack Daniels bottle for breakfast!

Either that or you'll find a large draught-excluder snake appearing at inopportune moments.
Old 21 September 2004, 11:27 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Green Day have never really failed to impress me! I remember when they played in Wigan in 1991, they had released 39/Smooth (or 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours as it was later called) and Kerplunk was just at the point of release when they came over to the UK. Not many people had heard of them, but my mate was a singer in a band called Jailcell Recipes who produced 2 amazing hardcore albums and had signed to First Strike Records, so I got exposed to a lot of alternative music (and Green Day) via him.

Anyway, 5 friends and I jumped on the train straight after school (LOL!) and headed out to Wigan. The audience consisted of no more than 50 people in a small room (mostly straight edge and skaters), and I was sat on the edge of the stage in front of the amps with one of my friends. 3 songs into the set Green Day belted straight into 2000 Light Years Away and my friend grabbed a microphone that wasn't being used and we stood up and started singing along. Nobody batted an eyelid, the band were really laid back and encouraged us so we carried on to the end of the song! It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. I can't imagine anybody would get away with doing that now, or be able to get anywhere near the stage. Apparently there's a bootleg of that gig knocking around with us singing on it but I've never heard it, so if anybody has a copy let me know!

Davegtt, all of the American Green Day fans I've met don't take their nationality too seriously, but I did wonder how the song would hold up in the mainstream American music charts! I've just got back from Germany and there was a song on their MTV station, no idea who it was by but the chorus was singing "we're all living in America". The video had the band dressed in NASA astronaut suits playing the song on the moon, which was juxtaposed with images of aborigines drinking coca cola, African tribes-people eating Mcdonald's and Tibetans watching American television channels and playing with Barbie dolls etc. They interviewed a teenaged American pop singer straight after they played the song (an Avril Levigne type of person) and she was quite stunned and didn't really know how to react to it. It was very funny to watch!
Old 21 September 2004, 11:57 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Cool

Minor Threat - quality username! Get hold of the DVD if you haven't already got it:
DC Space * Buff Hall * 9:30 Club

Seminal hardcore indeed. (Not a patch on "Land Speed Record" by Husker Du mind).
Old 21 September 2004, 12:17 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

the album is excellent too