job application forms - disclosing salary

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 05:51 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default job application forms - disclosing salary

hi all

most job application forms now ask for your current salary. i would be hesitant to complete this.

will this mean that my application form gets chucked? do people lie (i don't want too).

basically the job i'm looking at pays ~10k above what i'm on now so don't want to get a crap starting salary at potential new job.

cheers
steven
Old 20 September 2004, 05:54 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

dont lie too much - they will be able to check based on your p45 (or whatever number it is). rounding up is ok

remember to put benefits down too (e.g. £xx + bonus + bens).

however, u have to remember that if 10k is a large percentage of your salary, they will want to know why u think u deserve that kind of pay rise most likely.
Old 20 September 2004, 05:58 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

milo - see, that's the problem. this job is paying market value, mine is underpaying by that much so they might think something is weird, like i must be useless (could be true :-) )...

what about just leaving it blank? good/bad move?
Old 20 September 2004, 06:07 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

if u leave it blank and its something they want to know, they'll just ask u in the interview. they'll probably ask u it anyway in the interview to see if you're lying.

dunno what 10k is as a percentage for you, but every time ive changed jobs, the pay has been about 10k more than the previous one. so its not like its impossible to get good raises.

if the new job is identical to your old one however (i.e. no more responsibility), and you're currently getting paid 10k but are expecting 20k, you will most likely have to justify why you deserve double your salary.
Old 20 September 2004, 06:25 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I have exactly this problem if i want to move. My current job pays very much under market rate.

just put it down and haggle if they offer a lower start...
Old 21 September 2004, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems like an imposition to me. Don't see why they feel they have the right to ask you a personal question like that. Very useful to them of course, but that is your own private business as far as I can see.

Difficult when you are hoping for the job of course but I think it is unfair of them to ask.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2004, 12:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Just put it down, if anything they might think, this guy is ona lower wage than this guy we could offer him the job if hes good enough at a lower rate BUT u have the advantage of knowing what they intend on paying.... So it gives u something to negotiate with if u get my drift
Old 21 September 2004, 01:05 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You're going to have to tell them at some point as a basis for negotiation of a new salary and don't lie, they may ask to see a payslip to back it up, and ultimately would need a P45. Either way when they find out the consequences may not be good.
Old 21 September 2004, 01:14 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

I've interviewed a few people in the past who've lied about their previous/current salaries on their applications and in the interview but i never realised until i received their P45's and saw what their 'Year To Date' figure was. I'm pretty sure it's a common ocurrence but it certainly made me think about their trustworthiness when they can lie to the owner of the company so blatantly to get the job in the first place.

I'd say that you're best to be honest and show that you've nothing to hide. Afterall, the reason you're probably leaving the old job is, as you say, because you're being paid well below the market rate.

In the main, companies don't tend to make mistakes about their salaries. If they advertise a figure the chances are that it's a budgetary figure they've allocated for that position and it will be linked to the market rate.

Anyway, best of luck with the interview and i hope they give you a good remuneration package!

Cheers

James
Old 21 September 2004, 03:10 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice folks. even though the salary is advertised with a 3 grand range they ask what i expect. i think i'll go in a grand lower than their lowest, not to seem greedy, and to give an edge over others.

also, they do ask why i'm leaving my current post - is it a bad move to say it's solely because the salary is below market value? the job is identical to mine so hardly going to advance my career - actually career wise it's not a good move but i need the cash!