Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boy racers

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2004, 09:18 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boy racers

Everytime I see this guy in his corsa on the way to work, he's driving at twice the normal speed limit, always sits on your tail whether you're doing 20 or 60mph and generally, is a bl%$dy dangerous driver. I know you are supposed to back off and allow more room to the car infront but this makes no difference to his distance behind you.
This is the sort of driving that the police should sort out, not on occassions when you stray 6 or 7mph over the speed limit.
He is the sort of driver that allows insurance companys to charge what the hell they like. I'm not going to react to his intimadation, but it is only a matter of time before he hits me or someone else.

And what really annoys me is that nothing can be done about it.

Any thoughts??
Old 16 September 2004, 09:24 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flamer kit?
Old 16 September 2004, 09:31 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jjones]flamer kit?
But you just know that the cops would do me instead, being an impreza an all. Good idea though, I will ponder it!!!
Old 16 September 2004, 09:33 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Just pull over mate..... let them past.... then the inevitable shunt will happen way in front of you..

It's taken me 2 years to learn to ignore the to$$ers..... I usually make sure I do 20 just to really pi$$ them off before pulling over...ha ha
Old 16 September 2004, 10:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

LMAO at the Flamer kit idea...I can just picture the bumper on the tailgating corsa being set on fire
Old 16 September 2004, 10:48 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Stop at the traffic lights, get out, walk slowly up to his car, rip him out of it, kick him to death

Job done - its the only way they learn
Old 16 September 2004, 10:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Get a bumper sticker that says: "If you can only afford a Corsa, then you can't afford to damage my car!" :-)

Best.
Old 16 September 2004, 10:51 AM
bennyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard Askew
Stop at the traffic lights, get out, walk slowly up to his car, rip him out of it, kick him to death

Job done - its the only way they learn
I absolutely agree! can't beleive you need someone to tell you this
Old 16 September 2004, 11:03 AM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

Feckin corsa drivers, fed up with getting tailgated by em.

You just know that if I need to brake suddenly they are gonna go sailing into my rear bumper.

The down side of having brembo's I suppose.
Old 16 September 2004, 11:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

.....although handy for fixing the scuff on the rear bumper obtained in the supermarket car-park

Would I do such a thing? ...yes
Old 16 September 2004, 11:17 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

***** sake just show him your tail lights

I had a girl racer in a Focus 170 tailgate me on the M56 a few weeks back even though we were in the outside lane in a long line. She kept backing off and then tailed 2ft from my bumper. A few shows of the stop lamps and she backed away

She also came off the same junction as me so as we came down the slip she did it again. So i slammed on sharpish and watched as her tyres lit up with smoke everywhere. She was visibly shocked and didn't even offer any abuse. I think she learnt her lesson
Old 16 September 2004, 11:19 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I also have the same problem. Slowing down to 20 really does **** of the bodykitted boy racers Especially when they try to make a gap and you close it on em
Old 16 September 2004, 11:23 AM
matt85
Scooby Regular

I think it happens to all Impreza drivers.

Reason being is these little sh*ts enjoy sitting up your **** to bait you into putting your foot down. Some of them just like to see a fast car going fast wheras the rest of the brain-dead idiots try it because they think they could keep up.

It usually happens to me with an Astra with a 6-foot stainless wing. Like hes going to keep up anyway.. tsch...
Old 16 September 2004, 11:47 AM
New_scooby_04

Matt,

Yep, fraid so. Trouble is: I think most of them think their miserable 1.4 Nova could keep up!! If you travel around the speed limit, every mother's son simply HAS to get past you. People assume that just cause you have a fast car, you have to drive everywhere flat out!

Personally, I won't be baited by boy racers: it's too dangerous. These morons simply don't understand how much quicker an Impreza can accelerate than a "normal car" and just how much more speed it can carry through corners. They would probably wipe out trying to keep up. Best to just let them past and give them the look!

Best.
Old 16 September 2004, 11:56 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

There's a tit round by us with a 306 cabriolet with 4 exhaust pipes (Why FFS?). Keeps trying it on with me through the middle of town (30 zone which is barely wide enough for two cars 'cause of all the people parking on double yellows ).

I just ignore him. Not worth the risk of damaging my car. Anyhow, the way they come racing past our house I'm hoping one of them will miss the corner and end up in the Severn

He did try it on with my neighbour though, who has a Noble M12 thing. Suffice to say he lost.......
Old 16 September 2004, 11:57 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I often get Impreza drivers doing this to me. Accelerating upto me, dumping dump valves dumping their dump all over the place. Then easing back and doing it again....over and over.

Bwooaarrppp chissssssshhh sshhiiiisssooooooo bbwwwiiisssssshhhhh chiiiisshhhh.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:00 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
I often get Impreza drivers doing this to me. Accelerating upto me, dumping dump valves dumping their dump all over the place. Then easing back and doing it again....over and over.

Bwooaarrppp chissssssshhh sshhiiiisssooooooo bbwwwiiisssssshhhhh chiiiisshhhh.

...sounds like there's a problem with the map on it
Old 16 September 2004, 12:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I had an astra tailgating me on the M4 near Reading services, he was right up my **** with all his mates in the car, so I slowed down a bit so there was a gap between me and the car in front then sped up a bit and stamped on the brakes then off again the astra behind locked up and started snaking in the fast lane , after that he backed off considerable and changed lanes the last thing I saw was him move over to the slow lane. Never saw him again afetr that. I know I could have caused an accident by my actions but it got the **** of my tail.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:28 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

I must admit though, every now and again when im behind a supercar (Ferrari's, 911's etc) on an appropriate bit of road i drive a bit close to see if they take the bait and put their foot down. A guy in a Noble bit good and proper once. Got right behind him, looked at the clock and by the time i looked up again he was out of sight.

It can be fun on odd occasions, its just knowing where to do it.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:48 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

No matter what somebody has done, whatever the provocation there is no justification for standing on the brakes so hard that the car behind has to take emergency action this is one of the most stupid things you can do in a car and will give all scoob drivers a bad name. If you want to give a message gently dabbing the brake pedal to flash the brake lights - fine but rather pull in and let them run into the back of someone else.

Dont let your temper and adrenaline get the better of you.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlu
No matter what somebody has done, whatever the provocation there is no justification for standing on the brakes so hard that the car behind has to take emergency action this is one of the most stupid things you can do in a car and will give all scoob drivers a bad name. If you want to give a message gently dabbing the brake pedal to flash the brake lights - fine but rather pull in and let them run into the back of someone else.

Well said!!
Old 16 September 2004, 01:45 PM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

I know this isn't related but I was in my works van last night and there was a mob of kids that went past me on both sides with their scooters, well one of them had a neon tube on the bottom of the faring, I nearly crashed the van I was laughing so much.
Old 16 September 2004, 02:44 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by WRBlu

I presume this was aimed at me, anyway I had been dabbing the brakes and flashing the fog lights slowing down but all to no avail, I could not pull over and let him past either so I stamped on the brakes just enough to get the lights on and slow down then I put my foot down again.

If the **** hadn't been up my **** then I would not have needed to take the action I did.
Old 16 September 2004, 02:48 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

I guess we are all grown ups on here?

....I can remember being in my teens doing loads of stupids things on cars and bikes...

said Corsa drivers will be the ones posting on here in 10-15 years, moaning about boy racers...

re the girlie in the ST170, have you noticed a lot of girlies drive close behind, just the normal manner of driving for some.

P'haps she wasnt being agressive, just the way some women drive...

Just a thought
Old 16 September 2004, 04:01 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa

re the girlie in the ST170, have you noticed a lot of girlies drive close behind, just the normal manner of driving for some.

P'haps she wasnt being agressive, just the way some women drive...

Just a thought
Yeah I've noticed this, I don't think girls view it as being aggressive. My GF does it sometimes and I always tell her to allow more room in case something happens.

At the risk of being severely flamed I'd say a lot of female drivers are slightly 'disconnected' or 'remote' from what is going on around them when driving. They're probably daydreaming about shoe shopping or something more fun than driving

They're not so in tune with the intricacies of male aggressive signals, and so don't read those situations in the same way. To most guys driving close is an aggressive act and so they react in kind. I feel more defensive when I have a male driver right up behind me (oo er) than a female driver.

Generalising of course and all just IMHO...
Old 16 September 2004, 04:21 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blip
Yeah I've noticed this, I don't think girls view it as being aggressive. My GF does it sometimes and I always tell her to allow more room in case something happens.

At the risk of being severely flamed I'd say a lot of female drivers are slightly 'disconnected' or 'remote' from what is going on around them when driving. They're probably daydreaming about shoe shopping or something more fun than driving

They're not so in tune with the intricacies of male aggressive signals, and so don't read those situations in the same way. To most guys driving close is an aggressive act and so they react in kind. I feel more defensive when I have a male driver right up behind me (oo er) than a female driver.

Generalising of course and all just IMHO...
Its not a generlisation to say that most girlies arent so keen/enthusiastic about cars and driving...So they arent so attentive...

I bet said girlie chose her Focus 'cos she liked the colour or " the wheels"

Any girlies on here that flame me will be enthusiasts, so they are the small exception to the rule!
Old 16 September 2004, 04:27 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Here ya go ...

Tailgating: What to Do
Old 16 September 2004, 05:00 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon
Here ya go ...

Tailgating: What to Do

and I always thought pushing the gear lever over towards the reverse gate, thus illuminating the reverse lights, was the safe method......
Old 16 September 2004, 05:16 PM
New_scooby_04

So you're saying that my approach of winding down the window and shouting:

-"Get that piece of sh*t Corsa off my ****, you ignorant w*nker"-

may be unwise
Old 16 September 2004, 05:26 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

It's times like that I wish I had a James Bond Living Daylights-style laser that fires out from my alloys as they try and overtake, whereby it seperates the top half of their car from the bottom. That would be cool.

Quick Reply: Boy racers