War in Iraq illegal.....

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2004, 08:48 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation War in Iraq illegal.....

according to Mr. Annan!

Tony, you need to remember the line - I have no clear recollection of that event
Old 16 September 2004, 09:06 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit more important than Basil Brush and his posse, isn't it? Yet what are people more riled about?
Old 16 September 2004, 09:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was stated by the UN Chief at the time but The Allies just were not prepared to take any notice of what he said. Did not suit their agenda of course!

Les
Old 16 September 2004, 09:24 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So does this mean that Bush and Blair will held on war crimes charges.
Old 16 September 2004, 09:44 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Proabably not, they will most likely "do a Chirac" and change the law to make themselves immune!
Old 16 September 2004, 09:47 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No because Mr Annan has no power to officially declare the war illegal. It's just his personal opinion
Old 16 September 2004, 10:06 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The UN has [unfortunately] proven itself to be irrelevent. Their dithering over Iraq allowed for unilateral action. UN dithering over Sudan is about the same. Ineffective and irrelevent. Where is the UN, what are they doing?

Why doesn't Kofi do something useful and declare the UN irrelevent and ask for unilateral intervention in Sudan? Such inaction would IMHO justify that someone else steps in to the mess into Sudan and does the right thing to stop the ongoing humanitarian disaster. I can't imagine who that fool would be though after criticism levelled at those who bother to act? Better to just sit there and let it happen then.... Useless bastids.

Suresh
Old 16 September 2004, 10:16 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

The UN has [unfortunately] proven itself to be irrelevent. Their dithering over Iraq allowed for unilateral action.
Oh please! I forgot it was all about a humanitarian mission. Dithering over Israel never seemed to bother the US.
And Iraq is a real feckin paradise now!
Old 16 September 2004, 11:29 AM
bigJoe
Scooby Regular

Suresh is spot on,

Mr Anan’s and the UN’s lack of leadership and the UN’s lack of direction forced the situation to develop the way it did – the UN failed then and is still failing now.

He should be resigning in shame, not venting his spleen (for no good reason) in public.

As for the legality – anyone who has a vested interest can justify their position, what ever it is using various international agreements over the years, there is as many interpretations of those as there is people who have an opinion.

gsm1

Do you really think the UN ever cared about Iraq (or Israel)?
Old 16 September 2004, 11:36 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Suresh
Why doesn't Kofi do something useful and declare the UN irrelevent and ask for unilateral intervention in Sudan?
Dead simple. Because there's nothing in Sudan worth saving, in the eyes of the countries that could do it. I think the only unilateral intervention would come from the immediate neighbours who'd have their eyes on a land grab of some sort at the end of it. Why risk, say, British or US lives for some poxy piece of Sahara desert?

Sierra Leone exports diamonds, Iraq exports oil, Bosnia and Albania export heroin and asylum seekers. Sudan?
Old 16 September 2004, 01:05 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Dead simple. Because there's nothing in Sudan worth saving, in the eyes of the countries that could do it. I think the only unilateral intervention would come from the immediate neighbours who'd have their eyes on a land grab of some sort at the end of it. Why risk, say, British or US lives for some poxy piece of Sahara desert?

Sierra Leone exports diamonds, Iraq exports oil, Bosnia and Albania export heroin and asylum seekers. Sudan?
Don't disagree with you there, but please remember that there was no oil in the ex-yugoslavia and yet the US did in fact intervene rather agressively.

My point is that UN did bugger apart from procrastinate about Iraq and continues to do precisely the same about Sudan. "Koffie" Annan should indeed be ashamed about the fact that his organisation does nothing to help....

Suresh
Old 16 September 2004, 01:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

I told you - it exported heroin to Europe. And the US didn't want a nasty ethnic war on the doorstep of its biggest trading partner.

Actually, I think a little harder, and it could well have been because of the Commies involved... US acted to stop the possible spread of Communism. That's certainly their style.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:12 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Calling the Scoobynet pro-war lobby...
Old 16 September 2004, 01:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

...and I'd like to recommend a book "Peacemonger" written by a UN peacekeeper diplomat (Marrack Goulding??) - but I found it boring as hell and gave up after the first few chapters! Great facts maybe, but unbelievably dry and emotionless presentation...
Old 16 September 2004, 03:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
A bit more important than Basil Brush and his posse, isn't it? Yet what are people more riled about?
Surely not. The amount of time spent on fox hunting clearly shows it is more important to the Gov than War in Iraq.

Chip.
Old 16 September 2004, 03:26 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
...and I'd like to recommend a book "Peacemonger" written by a UN peacekeeper diplomat (Marrack Goulding??) - but I found it boring as hell and gave up after the first few chapters! Great facts maybe, but unbelievably dry and emotionless presentation...
That's because peace is boring. Can you imgine how dull scoobynet would be if we all agreed!
Old 16 September 2004, 03:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

...yeah, be even duller if we all made the effort to understand what we argue about!
Old 16 September 2004, 06:23 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Suresh conveniently fails to answer about US action over Israel. 35 years of calling upon Israel to withdraw from occupied territories and no action taken. No sanctions or embargos and the US regularly vetoes security council resolutions concerning Israel.
Old 16 September 2004, 07:53 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Give it a rest

Originally Posted by gsm1
Suresh conveniently fails to answer about US action over Israel. 35 years of calling upon Israel to withdraw from occupied territories and no action taken. No sanctions or embargos and the US regularly vetoes security council resolutions concerning Israel.
Not really - I just chose to ignore you because your monotone, abrasive and agressive style doesn't really warrant a response.

Try again with a bit of civility and you never know what might happen...

Suresh
Old 16 September 2004, 08:43 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Not really - I just chose to ignore you because your monotone, abrasive and agressive style doesn't really warrant a response.

Try again with a bit of civility and you never know what might happen...

Suresh
Oh, sorry old chap.

Bit rich talking about aggressive style and civility from a man who sees nothing wrong in killing thousands of people in a foreign land because he believes they have to be 'liberated', whether they like it or not.

If you can't handle someone responding to your argument then don't bother posting in the first place.