Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police Violence on the BBC news.

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 10:11 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Police Violence on the BBC news.

Feckin' disgraceful. There's no need for that from Blair's Storm Troopers.

UB
Old 15 September 2004, 10:15 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Events today just showed how pi$$ed off the people are with this Gov. For all Maggires faults at least we did'nt have people invading Parliament every few weeks.

Time for Tony to go I think especially if he insists on the parliament act to get this vote through.

And why didn't Blair vote on the issue.As always doesnt want to be seen to be siding with anyone.

Chip.
Old 15 September 2004, 10:51 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The images I've seen will stay with me for a long while.

What I fail to understand is - we have a line of riot gear wearing meatheads, 6 deep, laying into honest but annoyed tax paying citizens, whilst the very premises they are alledgedly 'protecting' are being successfully infiltrated because there are no *genuine* security measures in place. This kind of major incompetence and ham-fisted policing just astounds me, given the kind of threats government now supposedly faces.

That idiot of a Home Secretary should seriously consider his position after this IMO.....

UB
Old 15 September 2004, 11:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Did you see the woman being interviewed with a huge cut on her lip from a batton? And another guy literally pouring with blood from his head? These aren't chav football hooligans or organised criminals these are hard working, decent people - the kind of people who have never been in trouble with the law.

Welcome to Blairs Britain, guaranteed to criminalise you unless you are an illegal immigrant, a pikey or dole bludging chav.

UB for Parliament!
Old 15 September 2004, 11:02 PM
Subaru_bolam
Scooby Newbie

From what ive seen the police were also attack and provoked, thats often forgotten that the police are also getting attacked and were heavily out numbered
Old 15 September 2004, 11:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Did you see the woman being interviewed with a huge cut on her lip from a batton? And another guy literally pouring with blood from his head? These aren't chav football hooligans or organised criminals these are hard working, decent people - the kind of people who have never been in trouble with the law.

Welcome to Blairs Britain, guaranteed to criminalise you unless you are an illegal immigrant, a pikey or dole bludging chav.

UB for Parliament!
Yes, I also saw the guy crouched by the ambulance receiving first aid as a copper sat beside him with a broad grin on his face.

And to think Blunkett was making pledges about 'customer satisfaction' and people's poor impressions when coming into contact with the police earlier this week. What a feckin' clown that man is.

UB
Old 15 September 2004, 11:10 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru_bolam
From what ive seen the police were also attack and provoked, thats often forgotten that the police are also getting attacked and were heavily out numbered
no they weren't and err... no they weren't. When I was watching live footage on BBC News24 the Police were clearly intimidating the protesters. As for heavily outnumbered, I think you can reverse that statistic.
Old 15 September 2004, 11:11 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Feckin' disgraceful. There's no need for that from Blair's Storm Troopers.

UB
Disgraceful. Reminds me of the Poll Tax riots.

Old 15 September 2004, 11:19 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru_bolam
Yeah, the protestors were chucking plenty of stuff over and at the cops. It was pretty much 50/50.
Old 15 September 2004, 11:26 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
Yeah, the protestors were chucking plenty of stuff over and at the cops. It was pretty much 50/50.
Yes, but a wood and cardboard poster is not much of a match against a fully Kelvar armoured, helmet wearing, batton wielding 'gook' is it?

UB
Old 15 September 2004, 11:40 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bloke
When similar social injustices were committed, yes.

I understood that the Third Way would eliminate all such poor decision making. How wrong I was.

UB
Old 15 September 2004, 11:48 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bloke

Hmm

I know a good number of SWP members who went there to lob the first bricks in the poll tax riots then foxtrot oscar - hardly the same thing but large over-reaction by the police this time

Some heads HAVE to roll over both debacles today - invasion and protester bashing

&

(social comment mode) the reason the 5 got into the chamber is likely because they DIDN'T look asian

Not a good day for democracy and law/order methinks

Old 16 September 2004, 12:13 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you know the police were not provoked. From the news footage, there was a large group of 'protesters' attempting to pull down the metal fencing and people had obviously broke through if they had got as far as the chambers.

What do you expect the police to do. "Err - now now, please kindly stop and go back" "you're all being very silly"

Batons would have been drawn as a deterrant to start with, such as ' GO BACK OR GET HIT'. The ones who chose not to go back and run at the police line have only themselves to blame if they got hit.

Also - seemingly good, honest decent folk can behave like brainless morons. Look at the riots in the world cup in France - accountants, bank managers and doctors caught on cctv in the thick of the action.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:19 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Justed watched it. Seemed to be an element of thugs in there trying to remove the barriers in front of plod. Trouble with most protests is there always seems to be a group wanting to have a ruck who are nothing to do with the protesters at all.

Difficult job for plod, I would not want to do it, heat of the moment your may well lash out. But they should be more restrained in places...
Old 16 September 2004, 12:23 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Reminded me of some of the scenes from miners strike in 1984 except of course the miners had a real reason to protest.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:26 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Justed watched it. Seemed to be an element of thugs in there trying to remove the barriers in front of plod. Trouble with most protests is there always seems to be a group wanting to have a ruck who are nothing to do with the protesters at all.
Good point. There is always someone there trying to stir up trouble... isn't there tiggers!
Old 16 September 2004, 12:48 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Good point. There is always someone there trying to stir up trouble... isn't there tiggers!
Hi ajm, how could you say that about me?

Not stirring up trouble, just pointing out that times never change - although I do seriously feel that the destruction of a whole industry and thousands of livelihoods due primarily to a personal vendetta is a greater reason to protest than the abolition of the somewhat sadistic pastime of a few toffs.

TBH I agree with some of what has been posted on here, but it's the constant undercurrent of 'get rid of Tony Blair and everything will be all right' that I find tiresome, simplistic and frankly lacking in any real foundation.

One question - what if we do get rid of him and it doesn't get better? What then?
Old 16 September 2004, 01:00 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I heard one of the hypocrites who got hit say "they just lashed out wildly for no good reason" well i guess he knows how it feels to be a fox now, the muppet , maybe they should have used police dogs on them for even more realism and see how THEY like it. Maybe.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

One question - what if we do get rid of him and it doesn't get better? What then?
Simple..we bring him back

Or emmigrate....I reckon we should takeover Spain, Seeing the immigrants want to come here so much, they can have it, whilst all the real wage earners and taxpayers bog off out the country and leave them to their "fortune". I have bad vision of this happening in 20 years anyway.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:01 AM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

So........ SOME people turn up with smoke bombs and industrial size bird scarers (bangers) and throw them at Police lines.

And these people wanted a peaceful demonstration.

Silly me
Old 16 September 2004, 01:02 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers

Easy. RIOT
Old 16 September 2004, 01:21 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
BRILLIANT!!! And true!!!!!

I'm sure I'm like many of you out there.....sick and tired of hearing about how we aren't "fair" to such people!!!

However.........do any of us really think that any future government is likely to do anything about it???

This foxhunting ban ........ I must admit to having a change of heart over the last couple of years.
I grew up in a small'ish town, not far from the North Yorkshire moors and I spent a lot of time on my mate's farm. However, I didn't know anything about "country life" really (and I'm not on about the magazine), but in November 2002 I moved to a house on a farm..........rural location.

I've always been against foxhunting, as I saw it as a lot of toffs have "jolly good fun" at the expense of a little fox being chased around, scared sh*tless and then when caught being ripped apart by a pack of dogs.

Having lived on the farm for nearly two years, and having contact with these people, I can honestly say that many of the people that go hunting are not toffs at all. They are normal hard working people from a cross section of working, middle and middle/upper classes. Many of the people do not care if a fox is never caught.....they just want to go out and have an exciting ride on their horse.
No propaganda here...........very often foxes are not caught and they "take the p*ss" out of the hunt, being able to get away with relative ease. I've seen it!!

Maybe I've gone off-track here, so getting back to the original thread........
The police have a job to do.
They represent the law of the country and we should respect that.
If you are at the front of a "mob" in a state of disorder and you are having some altracation with a policeman who has a big stick in his hand.......expect to get bashed!!!!
Throw things at the police....expect to get bashed!!!
Rioters ask for what they get in my eyes.

The police may sometimes wade in a bit heavy, but in order to gain control of a situation quickly, a heavy hand is often required.

Marty

Last edited by martyrobertsdj; 16 September 2004 at 06:26 AM. Reason: To change "toofs" to "toffs"
Old 16 September 2004, 01:32 AM
deano
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's wrong for the police to be so heavy handed with the toffs, we should set a pack of rabid foxes on them instead.
Old 16 September 2004, 01:48 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Well, let's get the bugger out of office first, and then we can sort that out!!

UB
Old 16 September 2004, 05:52 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

These idiots who "stormed" parliament should have the book thrown at them. What a shower of human rubbish. Where do the C-untryside Alliance dig these appalling buffoons up from? Boo hoo! I can't kill animals for fun anymore!
It's so unfair! My life is over! Waaahhh!
They make me laugh. I don't think there's ever been a more celf-centered, lying bunch of objectionable oafs than that dreadful rabble.
Old 16 September 2004, 05:59 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Words of wisdom:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homea...305678,00.html

Spot on. And from another article:

"We are disgusted at this display by the pro-hunt lobby, showing utter disregard for democracy," said John Rolls, the RSPCA's director of animal welfare protection. "They have had every opportunity to present evidence to parliament ... those in favour of hunting have failed to win the argument and must now accept the will of parliament."

Douglas Batchelor, chief executive of the League Against Cruel Sports, said the pro-hunt lobby had failed to justify its "dreadful" sport. "Its arguments have been demolished. The hunters must now ... abide by the law of the land, and stop demonstrating an intolerable contempt for democracy."

Phyllis Campbell McRae, director of the Interna tional Fund for Animal Welfare, added: "Our hunt monitors have braved threats and abuse on a daily basis to expose the cruelty and barbarity of this practice. Hunters must now heed the will of parliament and the electorate."

Last edited by popeye; 16 September 2004 at 06:07 AM.
Old 16 September 2004, 06:40 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Actually, now that I've read Popeye's post.......

Dead right really.

A democracy by it's very description means that the decision has been made and we, the members of that democracy abide by the decision.

What is the next stage for the ban? Does it go through the House Of Lords and then on to The Queen for Royal ascent?
Will the Lords actually be awake long enough to hear the bill and will the queen (knowing the Royal Family's penchant for horsey stuff) give the ascent?

I'm not so sure that all of the Countryside Alliance members are a "celf-centered, lying bunch of objectionable oafs", but I can imagine some are!!
My wife is a member!!!! And I have some green wellies!!!!

Marty
Old 16 September 2004, 07:16 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by martyrobertsdj
What is the next stage for the ban? Does it go through the House Of Lords and then on to The Queen for Royal ascent?
Will the Lords actually be awake long enough to hear the bill and will the queen (knowing the Royal Family's penchant for horsey stuff) give the ascent?

The government will be using the Parliament Act to force it past the Lords and straight to the Queen.

Essentially the Lords has been neutered over time and exists as only a check on the Commons/Government to perhaps provide advise over things that have been missed. In the case of Fox Hunting, the Lords have consistently sent back the Bill to the Commons for reconsideration etc, effectively blocking it, but this time the government will be using the Act to force it through. It means that the Lords won't be able to send it back and it'll be up before the Queen as soon as... The Act was put in place to basically stop the Landowning Minority who made up the Lords blocking social reforms and "things that are for the benefit of the majority of the country" because it didn't suit them. However, I think you'll find that the House of Lords does not have many hereditry peers any more and that the majority are political appointees. Blair missed a cracking opportunity to make a decent reformation of the place & instead decided on cronyism Anyway...
Old 16 September 2004, 07:20 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Oh & Queenie also has to sign what's put in front of her - her role is likewise only a check on reality and she has little actual power. She sometimes might reject a bill but it is rare and generally only for minor reasons. She would be de-throned if she tried to force amendments/rejections through on a regular basis. With this particualr hot potato, I don't think she'll dare cause any delay/objection, besides, her horses are generally of the racing variety..
Old 16 September 2004, 07:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wherever the fault lies, I thought it was a particularly ugly sight. The sight of the vicious beating with truncheons and the injuries received reminded me of scenes from Germany in earlier times by a particularly evil organisation. It grieves me that matters can reach such a pitch in our country and does not bode well for the future.

Amazing how they can suddenly find hordes of police for government protection and normally there is never one to be found when the public need one.

Les

Quick Reply: Police Violence on the BBC news.