Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should hunting foxes with hounds be banned?
Ban it
54.97%
Keep it
45.03%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Fox Hunting Poll

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 12:39 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Fox Hunting Poll

Simple Poll,

Ban it or Keep it - none of the hows and whys.
Old 15 September 2004, 12:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ban it - but for different reasons to most others that say ban it I expect.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:03 PM
jgc
Scooby Regular

Ban it.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Too many thinks getting 'banned'. Let's see some imaginative legislation instead.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:10 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Keep it.
Cos if theres is one thing I cannot stand its this "I dont like it so YOU cant do it" attitude which is prevelent in society these days.
astraboy.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:23 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Ban it once and for all.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:28 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Like fox hunting is really the most important subject that they could be devoting parliamentary time to.

As UB says in the other thread, it is a cynical attempt by blair to throw a bone to some woolly jumper wearing back benchers who have got the hump.
Old 15 September 2004, 03:21 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

interesting to see how this works out.

BTTT
Old 15 September 2004, 03:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
Like fox hunting is really the most important subject that they could be devoting parliamentary time to.

As UB says in the other thread, it is a cynical attempt by blair to throw a bone to some woolly jumper wearing back benchers who have got the hump.
Agreed!

p.s. voted keep it
Old 15 September 2004, 04:04 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

All you people who want to ban hunting, i wish you would come round to my house and take away my resident foxes. They are a total and utter pan in the *rse. I was woken up *again* last night at 0430 am. Just had a look at the garden and there seems to have been some kind of fight going on as most of our pots have been knocked over and there's blood on the patio! I hope at least one of the b*stards was fatally wounded.
Old 15 September 2004, 04:13 PM
jgc
Scooby Regular

It has already been established that hunting foxes does not control the population, it is a tradition.

How do you think not banning hunting will solve your problem ? ... and do you think there might be a way for you to solve the problem ?

This issue here is animal cruelty, not pest control.
Old 15 September 2004, 04:20 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

ban it. Simple. There is no need for this babaric form of hunting.

Bob
Old 15 September 2004, 04:31 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier
It has already been established that hunting foxes does not control the population, it is a tradition.

How do you think not banning hunting will solve your problem ? ... and do you think there might be a way for you to solve the problem ?

Hunting will not solve my problem one way or another as it is not a popular pastime in East London. However, I was just trying to make the point that foxes aren't the cute furry things that some people seem to think. If you have to live cheek by jowl with them they are a real nuisance.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to control them in the urban envirnoment. You can't shoot them due to proximity to highway and residences. It's illegal to poison them. Apparently it's cruel to use a live trap and release them somewhere else as the won't know where they are . You can't use a snare due to the danger of catching the next door neighbour's cat in it. The council won't do anything about them. The RSPCA suggest that there isn't even any point in trying to get rid of them as anither fox will just move in to the old one's territory in any case.

For my money, if a few of their country cousins were getting chewed up by dogs, that might create a population imbalance that could lead to some of the city boys deciding to move out to the sticks.

Anyone got a pack of blood hounds they could lend me?

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 15 September 2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 15 September 2004, 04:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I was woken up *again* last night at 0430 am. Just had a look at the garden and there seems to have been some kind of fight going on as most of our pots have been knocked over and there's blood on the patio!
Typical country-dweller response to a town problem - immediately blame the foxes.

Don't you know that garden gnomes come alive when humans go to bed?
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I totally agree, why dont they put their red coats on and go rat hunting. Both are vermin but there are more rats so why not contribute in keeping the vermin population down.

Like Borat said " In Azbeckistan we catch bear and chain it up, then we all shoot it. Good fun, yes"

Whilst on the subject does anyone agree with "other" blood sports like in some eastern countries pit weasel type animals against snakes etc
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Anyone got a pack of blood hounds they could lend me?
I think there'll be some going spare soon enough
Old 15 September 2004, 04:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
I think there'll be some going spare soon enough
I doubt it will be blood hounds - fox hounds maybe
Old 15 September 2004, 05:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What I find amusing is that most of the people clamoring for a ban are in fact hypocrites. They try to distance themselves yet the simple fact remains that we are all natural hunters and we all have an innate enjoyment of the chase and the kill.

I watch so-called animal lovers get all tearful when they see a fox hunt, but they don't shed a tear for the pig that went into their sausages, the cow that went into their shoes or the spider they crush against the wall with smug satisfaction and a glint in their eye.

Put any of you lot in a position where you pitch your wits against a quarry, you overcome that quarry and make the kill you will be buzzing, literally shaking from the adrenalin, I guarantee it.

The only difference between us is that I can admit it.
Old 15 September 2004, 05:06 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Oh well i'm sure all those against hunting, will be only too glad to put down all the thousands of hounds across the country as they will be totally untraineable for domestic living. The're only a few thousand of them to kill nothing much!

Dont think of that do they.

Comper100

PS Yes you've guessed it im from the country!
Old 15 September 2004, 05:08 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

ban
Old 15 September 2004, 05:13 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

ajm

I was heavily into Air Rifles and yes i shot rats at a farm but then that was a little more humane than releasing 20 dogs to chase a fox around the countryside and just when the fox is exhausted to the point of dying of fright, the dogs tear the poor ****** to bits.

So tell me again.............The Dogs do all the "hunting" and the daft lookin tw@t on the horse does what exactly to get his adrenalin rush

If its ridding vermin from the countryside, shoot the ******, why let a pack of dogs rip the thing to shreds. I'm sorry i dont understand it, tradition yes i can understand but sometimes traditions have to change. I suppose bear baiting is okay in your books?

I'm not having a go, just interested how and where you draw the line
Old 15 September 2004, 05:16 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comper100
Oh well i'm sure all those against hunting, will be only too glad to put down all the thousands of hounds across the country as they will be totally untraineable for domestic living. The're only a few thousand of them to kill nothing much!

Dont think of that do they.

Comper100

PS Yes you've guessed it im from the country!

They can keep their dogs and take them out for a run as and when. The fact that the dogs dont make money and are essentially none productive and there for the enjoyment of the owner makes your claim of putting them down strange
Old 15 September 2004, 05:19 PM
jgc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Put any of you lot in a position where you pitch your wits against a quarry, you overcome that quarry and make the kill you will be buzzing, literally shaking from the adrenalin, I guarantee it.

The only difference between us is that I can admit it.

Not me, and I can guarantee that ... against natural urges ? well maybe, maybe not ... but it really doesn't turn my handle. Beating you in some form of competition yes, wandering around with a gun shooting stuff, no. That isn't to say I am against that at all. Stalking the fox and despatching it quickly and effectively, no problem.

Chasing it across a field with an army of horses and dog's, not to say smearing my face with the blood ? mmm ... nah. It is barbaric and, frankly, shameful IMO.
Old 15 September 2004, 05:46 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

Keep it. Foxes are tw@ts.
Old 15 September 2004, 06:15 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm not particularly bothered if they keep it or not, but, from what I've read, the alternative forms of fox control aren't necessarily any more humane (foxmane?).

People forget that foxes are vermin and farmers are justified in wanting to control this vermin. If said farmer allows some fox hunters to gallop across his land, that's up to him AFAIC.

People further forget that normally only the old and/or infirm foxes actually get caught. Their time is nearly up anyway. Also, that many fox hunts do not result in a kill. Foxes are called sly for good reason. A fit, healthy fox will easily outwit a pack of fairly dim hounds. Alternative methods of control will be indescriminate in their control of foxes - young and old will be killed. Is bleeding to death from a bullet wound or being poisoned really any better?

For the record, I've lived in both the countryside (Lound in Suffolk "rural" enough?) and the city (Central London "city" enough?).

It would be interesting to know 2 things. Firstly, would pro-ban people be as entusiastic for a ban if it were rats the hunters were chasing. Secondly, whether the majority of pro-ban and anti ban people are in the country or the city. I reckon I can guess fairly accurately where each party are from...
Old 15 September 2004, 06:20 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
It would be interesting to know 2 things. Firstly, would pro-ban people be as entusiastic for a ban if it were rats the hunters were chasing. Secondly, whether the majority of pro-ban and anti ban people are in the country or the city. I reckon I can guess fairly accurately where each party are from...
I'm from the city now, but countryside bred.

A work colleague is an avid hunter. And a complete tosser. As a result, anything which will really **** him off is fine by me. There's some morality stuff as well, but the nub of it is whether it will annoy the CU Next Tesday I have the misfortune to work with.
Old 15 September 2004, 06:23 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Ban it. I have no problem with the control of vermin - but by their own admission the hunt aren't that good at it so time they were pensioned off.

Edited to say born and bred in Cornwall.
Old 15 September 2004, 06:29 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Buzzer, there not pets there working dogs, like the horses that do it also. Unfortunately if hunting is banned the dogs will have no work nor will the horses, you can't just let them play in the garden with your children as they aren't trained live in a house, they will have to be put down. Im affraid like it or lump it dogs will be put down and so will many horses.

Comper100
Old 15 September 2004, 06:38 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Angry

its not the banning it the type of people who want it banned ( as in the protesters not the average jo's)

what next, fishing, fast cars they will move on to something else

some of these Bast**ds are only interested in other peoples busines, wish I had the time to protest about things

I don't agree with hunting with dogs but I hate this ever increasing population of goodie goodies

I would love to know how much it has cost to come to this point - surly there is much more important things in life we need to sort out first

wish the govenment spent as much time talking about how they are going to catch more car theives

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 15 September 2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 15 September 2004, 06:41 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

wrong topic.......

Last edited by Jye; 15 September 2004 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Fox Hunting Poll