Best speed trap detector?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2004, 10:22 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Best speed trap detector?

Hi

My sister is a bit of a mare behind the wheel (aren't most women ) and was caught speeding a month ago (police at the side of the road with a gun)

Yesterday she called me and said that she thinks she's been caught again by a camera van

What's the best way of detecting these sorts of traps? I personally have a road angel 1 but I believe they aren't much use against these & her driving is all local on roads she knows or motorways so I don't think a road angel is any use to her.

She owns 2 cars so a jammer is out of the question because it needs fitting to the car and is not transferrable in a minute

What are everyones thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
Old 14 September 2004, 10:52 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There aren't many options I'm afraid. Things like Road Angel and Origin b2 are primarily fixed camera detectors although they will alert you to a laser gun but by the time they do chances are you'll be collared if you're speeding.

Jason
Old 14 September 2004, 10:58 PM
New_scooby_04

Depends if she trangresses the speed limit by accident or by choice. If it's simply an attention issue, there are a number of devices that sound an audible warning when you exceed the speed limit for a given road type, which will remind her to go easy on the loud pedal. If she speeds by choice then there really is no defence against mobile lazer sites. Lazer jammers are illegal and -if used and discovered- she'd be booked for speeding and obstruction of justice. Sorry!

Best.
Old 14 September 2004, 11:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Depends if she trangresses the speed limit by accident or by choice. If it's simply an attention issue, there are a number of devices that sound an audible warning when you exceed the speed limit for a given road type, which will remind her to go easy on the loud pedal. If she speeds by choice then there really is no defence against mobile lazer sites. Lazer jammers are illegal and -if used and discovered- she'd be booked for speeding and obstruction of justice. Sorry!

Best.
It's not by choice at all She loved the fact that an old car of mine (a sierra xr4i of all things ) had an adjustable speed warning buzzer. I think that new cars should have that again.

If she only had one car I would have gone down the jammer route because in my eyes it's worth the risk unless you are a habitual speeder
Old 15 September 2004, 01:31 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

can't you set an overspeed warning on an origin b2 so it bleeps at you? bit of a pain for each limit (30,40,50,etc) unless it's automatically changing depending upon the prevailing limit but it might have an effect on getting her used to what speed she ought to be doing. think it's mainly for motorway use but don't see why you couldn't set it lower.

don't know whether the new road angel has the same feature...

on my ipaq running tomtom you can set a "safety speed" that turns off the map above the setpoint so you're not trying to read it - it just gives a reduced info readout on a blank background.

/halo mode on/
OTOH she might just use any warnings as a target to see if she can activate the "deterrents" each time she drives - if this is the attitude then she deserves what she gets...
/halo mode off/

Last edited by Apple; 15 September 2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 15 September 2004, 05:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

How good is the origin B2? I am interested in trading my road angel for one
Old 15 September 2004, 08:50 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

have a look on Origin b2 for info and have a search though the threads on SN - it seems most people like them compared to a RA Classic - I'm in the same boat and deciding whether to buy a b2 but I need a satnav solution - I either keep my ipaq / ttn3 and wait for the b2 data lead or get a TT Go and a b2 seperately...

how they compare to the new RA, I can't say but one thing I like about the b2 is the road speed limit display (as long as the database is current and you're not in a temporary lower limit area)

dunno how much you'd get for a trade but Jaycee seems to be able to do decent b2 deals AFAIK

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2004, 08:54 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
...or get a TT Go...
Andy
You know you want to Andy...
Old 15 September 2004, 10:46 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

after the brakes and the extra juice used on the course and... and...

or I could get a ttgo and keep the ra but I want a clock and road limits (little things etc )

Andy
Old 15 September 2004, 11:21 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Origin B2 all the way.. contact Jason at AlphaTelecom
Old 16 September 2004, 09:41 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

On the RA you can save a given spot as any type of Speed Detector IIRC. Most Scamera partnerships publish where they put the mobile cameras (usually the same few places). Get said list and next time she goes past that point record it as a mobile camera. Then everytime she approaches that point she will get a mobile warning. Can't say if there will be one there or not, but at least she knows to watch out. Either that or get a PDA with TomTom and do something similar using CheckPoint