Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone done open university??

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2004, 08:24 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done open university??

I'm thinking of doing an OU degree. Has anyone done one?

Got a HNC and HND and someone told me this would count in terms of points.

Are they really hard to do? Any tips?

Last edited by Recaro; 14 September 2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 14 September 2004, 08:54 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I have just finished my first year, you really need to be honest with yourself and make sure that you set enough time apart to do the reading and the work otherwise you will regret taking this on.

check out the ou website, you can get some points towards your degree through your existing qualifications.
Old 14 September 2004, 09:23 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I also have an HNC and HND (in Computing). Around 10 years ago, I looked into doing an OU BSc in Computing and it was going to take 5 years - the HNC/D only exempted me from the first year. I was still expected to do an elementary Maths course though. There was still a sginificant workload - you basically did the half the work of a full time student over twice the time, around 15 hours a week minimum during term time. I abandoned the idea because I didn't have that much free time then (not to mention the application and discipline required). Each academic year was broken up into 3 terms with a 1 or 2 week summer study camp.

A few years ago, the OU started an MSc course (Computing for Commerce and Industry), which was in 2 parts. The first 2 years got you a Post Graduate Diploma (C02), and the second part was 6 months to do a dissertation for the MSc (F05). This course was also different in that it was not broken up into terms, but rolling 6 week assignment periods over the whole course without any breaks. All the blurb boasted that the course was designed for the busy professional. This course suited me much better and I signed up.

I was horrified when I got the first assignment through though. The amount of work was significant and required pretty much all of the materials I was sent to be around you. I had planned to do some work on the 1.5 hours each way train journey to work. But, because I needed to take several text books and some ring binders with me, this didn't work - even if I got a seat.

As an indication on the amount of work to do in a 6 week period, one part of the assignment required me to do some research, then a 5000 word essay afterwards. This not insignificant part of the assignment was worth about 5% of the total mark for that assignment. I had assumed that having worked in the industry for over 10 years would make it easier, but for me it didn't.

They claimed all the work could be done in 15 hours per week - all inclusive. I would guess that for most normal people that would translate into 30 hours per week. I simply did not have that much time on my hands so I reluctantly gave up. I was doing a 40 hour working week, spent 3+ hours a day on pub[l]ic transport and was also an active member of the TA (1 or 2 weekends a month + 1 evening a week).

I really am not trying to discourage you, just giving you some insight into my experience so you have a more realistic set of expectations than I had.
Old 14 September 2004, 10:31 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

going back to OU this year after a year break. i would echo the above comments. self directed study requires ALOT and i mean ALOT of committment. this is the reason i took a year out. started a level 3 astrophysics course and sadly had to give it up as home life was dreadful at the time. going back this year to do a level 3 maths course that will help me with the astrophysics. if you are just starting then level 1 and some of level 2 is ok time wise. level 3 is another matter. as jerome says 15 hours a week really means at least double that. as for credit transfer, don't start me......three years,part-time at one of the universities in belfast doing a mixture of level 1 and level 2 course and all i got was 140 points in credit, so beware. if you have done previous courses, especially computing then if they are oldish i.e. more than 5 years then they might not be worth the paper they are written on (academically speaking) as this field changes so quickly.

HTH

cheers

big sinky
Old 14 September 2004, 11:36 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Go to prison for a few years

Only joking!