Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question on insurance and accidents...

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 09:20 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically it shouldn't make a difference - they usually ask "have you had an accident in the last five years". No comment about did you claim, was it the other guy's fault, etc. So you're expected to declare all or be caught fibbing...

Of course, whether or not they can prove anything is a different matter.
Old 08 September 2004, 09:20 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Elephant told me that even though my wifes claims were 100% non fault and recovered from the 3rd party, the claims would still increase our premium, but not as much as a fault claim
Old 08 September 2004, 09:47 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't say "no" to any accidents, 'cos it isn't true. Should they find out about it at a later stage, your insurance could well be invalidated. Clipping wing mirrors is one thing, but your accident was a bit bigger than that.

For what it's worth, I've had two accidents in my car in the last year, both of them caused by people coming out of a side road into my car. Clear case of fault on their part, so nice and clear cut on both occasions.

In each case I've claimed on my insurance, who have required me to pay the excess when they've repaired the car. They've then claimed against the other company, and refunded my excess shortly afterwards. Norwich Union have assured me, after each incident, that although it would be recorded on my file (as a "not at fault" claim), the fact that they'd made a full recovery from the other party's insurance co (abd had an admission of fault) meant that there would be no impact on my premium, a fact borne out when I renewed and saw it fall significantly.
Old 08 September 2004, 09:51 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Elephant told me that even though my wifes claims were 100% non fault and recovered from the 3rd party, the claims would still increase our premium, but not as much as a fault claim
That's incredible . If it's true, then that makes them money-grabbing tossers IMHO - but legally, don't you then have some sort of claim against the 3rd party for economic loss? (Which you could use your insurance company's legal services for? )
Old 08 September 2004, 10:04 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

What I'm saying is that you're not reporting accurately, and that it gives them wriggle room should you ever be involved in another accident and the facts of a non-declared prior accident be discovered. Bit of a bugger when you've had a total write-off, and the insurance assessor says that some of the damage was from a prior accident ... and the insurance company then refuses to pay out. The likelihood is minimal, but people can and do get stung for it every year.

In your case it seems that you'd have no problem, and you'd end up with a fully repaired bike. Why not ring your broker up and ask them how it works, and whether you'd have a loading for a not-at-fault claim - it's clear that different companies have different policies, and yours might well say "no increase".
Old 08 September 2004, 10:06 AM
juicy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
So Moose you suggesting that even if I don't make any claims and tell anyone about it I still should declare the accident at time of renewal? I wouldn't do on the basis no action was taken and therefore no blame was apportioned and no costs by anyone were incurred so insurance doesn't need to know about it.
That is what most people do i imagine. But the insurance company will ask if you have had an accident whether it was your fault or not.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:13 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They can easily check whether you've made a claim in the insurance database so its not worth lying.....
Old 08 September 2004, 10:16 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

you have to declared the accident if you are to blame or not.

Once the insurance company are told that it was a non fault claim (100% other persons fault), your premium should not go up. If it does I suggest you move insurance companies or speak to someone else higher up the chain.

Thats the whole point of a non fault accident - that it does not effect the innocent party.

Dont let them tell you otherwise mate.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:48 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

They ask you if you have had ANY accidents claims or convictions so legaly you would be lying but if you made no claim i would not tell them as they WOULD increase your premium

your dammed if you do your dammed if you dont
Old 08 September 2004, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If there are no claims involved B2Z then I think they have no way of finding out. You do have to be careful though. I once lost my protected NCB because the firm said that Protected NCB was not available under their rules if you had had any kind of accident whether it was your fault or not, and I had some woman drive into the back of my car when she was looking sideways at her passenger! Her insurance accepted full responsibility but I still lost the NCB!

Les
Old 08 September 2004, 04:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Tesco increased my premium for 3x non-fault accidents (cost about £300 more!!!!). (Did quotes with and without the claims.)
Old 08 September 2004, 08:30 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Angry

2 years ago I had 3 non fault claims against me where full compensation was secured by my insurance company in all cases as i was not to blame. However, when phoning around for an alternative quote at renewal time I was refused cover at two places because of these non fault claims. Premiums are loaded by some insurance companies for non fault claims and that is a fact.

Jerome
Old 08 September 2004, 09:15 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I suppose that insurance companies see people who've had an accident are a higher risk than someone who hasn't. Unfair if you were 100% not at fault but 'statistically' you are more likely to be involved in a future collision. Many companies (the better ones) don't load your premium if it wasn't your fault but many will jump at the chance to charge more. Kicking themselves in the foot really as you're more likely to change insurers come renewal.
Old 09 September 2004, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good luck with that B2Z

Les
Old 09 September 2004, 09:10 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

yes insurers do charge more for non fault acidents, statistically you are more likely to have more accidents.

ps i dont think they have any way of checking what claims you have, the only ones recorded on miaftr are total loss ones and theft/fire claims, only way they can find out is if they were to ring the insurance company and ask, which they dont

MID (motor insurance database ) only shows who the insurer is for the date you input, and contact details of the company, no claims or personal details at all