Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dobermans

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2004, 04:26 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dobermans

Move in to my new house in a few weeks (waiting on the builders finishing it off)

Its not the biggest in the world but it will do just now

So i am after a couple of dogs (no jokes about the g/f)

Always fancied dobermans as they seem the most loyal of that family ??

Anyone got any views both good & bad

Thanks

Stephen
Old 07 September 2004, 04:31 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

nowt wrong with the dogs, lovely, aslong as theyve come from a reputable breeder and brought up well it will behave as good as most domestic dogs
Old 07 September 2004, 04:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Any registers for them ??

Fancied a boxer but heard horror stories about them tearing the house apart when left alone
Old 07 September 2004, 04:40 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

how long will you leave them for?
Old 07 September 2004, 04:42 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

4 to 5 hours at the most during the week
Old 08 September 2004, 12:38 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

SO how do we find a reputable breeder? Do we go to dog shows and the likes of?
Old 08 September 2004, 12:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

contact the KC, they will put u in touch with breeders and will probably know if they have any litters or not.

other thing u could do is join the doberman club or association or what ever it maybe called, usually provided with a book full of breeders.. Google it.
Old 08 September 2004, 12:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

from a web site on how to choose dogs:

Now let's look at some common characteristics for this breed...

If you want a dog who...

Is large and strong, yet sleek- and elegant-looking
Has a short easy-care coat
Thrives on exercise, athletic activities, and challenging things to do
Looks serious and imposing, so makes an effective deterrent even when friendly
A Doberman may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

An extra careful search to avoid dangerous lines
Providing enough exercise to keep him satisfied
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Aggression, sharpness, suspiciousness, or shyness when not socialized enough
Aggression toward other animals
Emotional sensitivity to stress and loud voices
Physical sensitivity (tendency to react defensively when startled or mishandled)
Shedding
A multitude of serious health problems
Legal liabilities (public perception, future breed bans, insurance problems, increased chance of lawsuits)

sounds lovely!
Old 08 September 2004, 12:58 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Tiggs, EBT aint exactly the easiest of breeds to deal with either r they..... we all pick and choose a specific breed we like, its all down to how much time and devotion we can offer it as to whether they are suited or not
Old 08 September 2004, 01:02 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

We had a Doberman when I was really young but my Papa made me mum get rid because he kept knocking me on my **** everytime he walked past I am a cat person, but there is something abut that particular breed of dog that attracts me to them. I like St Bernards too - I might get one of those and become a lady of leisure to look after him

They are wonderful dogs, provided they behave!! But then you could say the same about kids really and I'm not planning on having any of those anytime soon!!
Old 08 September 2004, 01:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

An extra careful search to avoid dangerous lines
Providing enough exercise to keep him satisfied
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Aggression, sharpness, suspiciousness, or shyness when not socialized enough
Aggression toward other animals
Emotional sensitivity to stress and loud voices
Physical sensitivity (tendency to react defensively when startled or mishandled)
Shedding
A multitude of serious health problems
Legal liabilities (public perception, future breed bans, insurance problems, increased chance of lawsuits)
Exact same case for a retriever or a labrador!!

Lovely dogs. I've had two in the past, most loyal companions I've ever had.
Old 08 September 2004, 01:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Tiggs, EBT aint exactly the easiest of breeds to deal with either r they..... we all pick and choose a specific breed we like, its all down to how much time and devotion we can offer it as to whether they are suited or not

dave, as i have said in the past i would kill my dog if i thought i could get away without it killing me. its nearly 10 now so hopefully will be gone soon anyway.

i got it as a 21st present and i was a fool. i thought the big dog and studded harness was cool (not in a chav way, more like a young bloke in an expensive car way)

i would advise anyone NOT to get one. there are a zillion dogs out there so why choose a dog that has a chance of being a problem.

where we live now we back on to fileds, every day i take the other 2 dogs out, we have no leads -they just run around taking no notice of other dogs,ppl,etc.....the EBT has to be on a lead all the time because (although he is friendly enough) other dogs can give him greif because he likes to go up to them.....every now and again that can get iffy.

on top of that the breed has minor health problems....nothing that will kill it (pitty) but enough to be an expensive problem- if it was a car you wouldnt buy it knowing that some go wrong? (although the other stupid thing i bought was a TVR so maybe im just stupid!)

stupid dog.

T
Old 08 September 2004, 01:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lmao. fancy donating it to a good home? why dont u like it? must have done something wrong in a past life for u 2 want it too pass on as such
Old 08 September 2004, 01:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Thanks for your views chaps !

I will be taking my time looking for the right dog, really need to be careful as "maybe" in a few years kids might come along so thats the only doubt i have with getting one, but as you have said as long as its properly trained & looked after then things will be fine !!

One another note, i have never considered getting any of the Bull Terrier Family, never floated my boat though they all are really nice looking dogs !

Thanks

Stephen

Ps Claire dont worry this one wont get the chance to knock you over
Old 08 September 2004, 01:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dave, its just a stupid dog.

1. its thick....and they all are. my family breed them in the 80's, my mother worked at a huge EBT kennel in the 60's........EVERY one is born a retard.

2. they can fight.....this doesnt mean they are fighters but it means they have the ability. add this to number 2 and you have the dog equivilent of mike tyson on a good day (still a potential thug)

3. they are sick....the white coat is allways a dodgy sign in animals...skin problems, deafness...all sorts of issues unless you are lucky.

4. they are thick

5. they like humans to much....they dont leave you alone. they always want to be on the sofa, licking the baby, etc, etc......pain. my other dogs live in the utility room (doors open, they just dont care to join us)

6. peoples attitudes...at first its cool when ppl cross the street but after a while its embarassing. not the dogs fault but why buy something that you know lots of ppl will dislike when there is so much choice? i have plenty of people chat to me about my other dogs and no one pulls their kids close when they are near.

7. they are a handfull.....now ppl will say "ohhhh, my ones a handfull" like thats some sort of good thing??? get a grip.....lifes a handfull enough without adding to your problems. an example.....drop a crisp on the floor and my other dogs wouldnt even touch it. in contrast pig face once ate a can of dog food.....still tined and unopened (i think he saw the picture on the front) now thats a funny tale...the mixture of mangled metal and blood covering an empty tin of food like a shark attack.......but in reality its just a hassle you dont need.

so my point is simply....if dog A has 40% chance of being a problem and dog B has 10% chance.....why choose A?
Old 08 September 2004, 01:52 PM
white van man
Scooby Regular

By far and away the best dogs we have ever had.We have got a 5 year old bitch and a 12 week old dog.We have found that there are a lot of common misconceptions about the breed in that they are so friendly and predictable and are great with all our family including thier dogs.Both our dogs live outside in a large garden with two other dogs and as such get all the exercise/play they need which is probably why they are so nice natured.
Old 08 September 2004, 01:56 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Any registers for them ??

Fancied a boxer but heard horror stories about them tearing the house apart when left alone
Why do you want a full on Chav dog?? Boxer, Dobermann etc. What about Staffordshire Terrier, Pitbull, Bullmastif, Rottweiler??
Old 08 September 2004, 02:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

PMSL at the eating a can of dog food

tbh though u have just described our Nelson, he too is rather dumb.

point 6 is just damn annoying, tbh any1 who crosses the road because the dog looks agressive are just as thick and ignorant as the dog.
Old 08 September 2004, 02:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
point 6 is just damn annoying, tbh any1 who crosses the road because the dog looks agressive are just as thick and ignorant as the dog.

true.....but do you want to run progammes for local schools so you can educate ppl or just take your dog for a walk?
Old 08 September 2004, 02:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yeah course I know what you mean, but its not the kids that need teaching unless ur teaching them for educating their kids down the lines etc in years to come, the people who are the problem are the busy body parents.... the 1's who look at you like scum for bringing an animal that looks likes it could kill into the high street
Old 08 September 2004, 02:18 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Why do you want a full on Chav dog?? Boxer, Dobermann etc. What about Staffordshire Terrier, Pitbull, Bullmastif, Rottweiler??
Didnt fancy any of the others except the rott but fancied something just that little sleeker & energetic
Old 08 September 2004, 02:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Surprised nobody has mentioned the best dog of all, Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
Old 08 September 2004, 02:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

get this and be done with it

Old 08 September 2004, 03:48 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

If you do get one, be sure to keep it back from your Burberry shell suit. They can shred one in seconds
Old 08 September 2004, 04:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiggs, I am not the only one, we have a Cocker Spaniel that is crap, blind, stinks, doesnt do anything, used to be a reasonably crap dog, now its the living dead, I can smell it at the moment yet I cant see it, thick fckuker as well, its 11 and the breed average is 11 year 8 months, wahey, I did however have a dream whhere I was telling Norris McWhirter that I had the oldest Cocker Spaniel ever, 27 years old !

I try to think of ways I can 'off' the dog without getting found out but it just couldnt actually do it, it was getting a big pathetic as disorientated/lethargic (how the wife spots lethargy in inanimate obects I will never know) so it went to the vets, 100 quid later its recovered to its former level of inactivity (we hold a mirror under her nose to see if she is still alive). 40 quid would have made it much better in my opinion, plus only one injection, ever !

Now I wouldnt be cruel to it, or any animal but I have already dug the hole, well she started digging it along with many others in the garden whilst looking for tasty morsels (greedy b4stard it is) when the bins are empty (or the round buffet as it calls them), anyway, the hole is on its way, I have bought some laminate flooring and some rope light and I am going to build a little dancefloor, so I can dance on its grave !

I have now located the smell as I can hear it snoring, hows it ever going to wear out if all it does is sleep, I mean while muggins is out at work it kips all day and then I get to clean its turds up, if it doesnt troff them first that is, whose laughing ?
Old 08 September 2004, 05:01 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Smile

J4ACKO:

I've just had the strangest looks in the office after laughing out far too loud when reading your post!!

You have just described my dog (who is know 14, and our last one was 19!!!!) and in pretty much the same state. Love her to bits and wouldn't dream of causing her any harm but at the same time can't wait till it's all over - bless her!

We've talked about getting a doberman when the inevitable happens with current mutt and the more i think about it the more i'm certain we will get one. I've heard such good feedback from other Dobe owners and i'm a true believer that if the owner takes the time to train the dog (whatever breed) then other than health problems associated with the breeds, all should turn out well.
Old 08 September 2004, 05:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

jacko......lets get our dogs to fight...mine will kill yours in seconds then i will get mine shot as a dangerous dog!

Problemo over!
Old 08 September 2004, 08:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

LMAO @ J4CKO

other than health problems associated with the breeds, all should turn out well
TBH if you want a dog that's guaranteed not to have health problems get a mongral. Damn things live for years

Most pedigrees I've seen seem to be prone to some sort of health problem, from Alsations to Wolf Hounds

My dobey's only had health problems at pretty much their last few years of their life (one lived to 16 the other 17years). The one developed a heart problem at 14 years, and both had some arthritus and had retricted use of their hind legs in the last few years. Most large dogs suffer similar problems at their last stages of life. So it's not just a Doberman thing.
Old 08 September 2004, 08:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone heard of a Rodinglea Scruffy, it was in the Mail on Sunday in alist of the best of everything as the best dog, as in best temprament, personality, everything but I cannot find any other reference to it, it being a mongrel bred from the best bits of other breeds, like Boreder Collie inteligence etc ?
Old 08 September 2004, 09:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

A dog is

Mental and destructive for 2 years
Boisterous and annoying for 3 years
Civilised for about 5 years
in Decline for another 2 years
The on borrowed time for another twenty whilst being annoying, smelly and costing you money

Quick Reply: Dobermans