Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anti speed camera stickers! Everyone should have one!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 06:39 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti speed camera stickers! Everyone should have one!!

Ive seen a few cars displaying great speed camera pis$-take stickers in their rear windscreens, and Ive just found the source!

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_camera_signs.htm

Actually the Association of British Drivers site - stickers are downloadable and printable - EVERYONE should have one of these on display
Old 03 September 2004, 06:45 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Childish and petulent IMO

Give me speed cameras over speed bumps any day...
Old 03 September 2004, 07:13 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link - I especially like the Russian proverb one.
Old 03 September 2004, 07:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yeah - so did I very true

For those who haven't seen it:

'Kogda dengi govoryat, togda pravda molchit'

or

'When money talks, then truth is silent'
Old 03 September 2004, 07:32 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

My favourite:

And this quote about the stickers:

"Crass Rubbish"
Brian Ladd, Essex Police / Essex Safety Camera Partnership

ROFLMAO
Old 03 September 2004, 09:26 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

T-Shirts as well! Wear one to court
Old 03 September 2004, 09:30 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Money from fixed cameras does not go to the Police.
Old 03 September 2004, 09:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Makes me laugh, this childish hatred of Speed Cameras!

It's like hating Lions because they will eat you if you stroke them - what do you do??

Lesson - Don't stroke a Lion!!

You all KNOW that a camera will take a photo if you speed .....

Why hate them??

Just DON'T SPEED and you will have no need of 'Toys-out-of-the-Pram' Stickers!!

Grow up, slow down and don't get wound up!

Pete
Old 03 September 2004, 09:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Money from fixed cameras does not go to the Police.
Yes it does - they keep the funds necessary to maintain and provide the 'service' - only surplus funds are sent to central government now. Almost all police forces now participate in this scheme.
Old 03 September 2004, 09:54 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thing is Pete - you know as well I as do, that all this stuff spurted by the government is crap. They no more want you to slow down, than they want you to give up smoking or drinking or driving your car. It all generates too much money.

If they were serious about reducing road deaths and improving road saftey they would
introduce a tougher driving test, make advanced driver training compulsory, introduce compulsory eye tests every 5 years, look at the design of road junctions (poor road design is estimated to count for 60% of all accidents) etc etc. Problem is, this all costs money, rather than generating it.

Cynical? Me?
Old 03 September 2004, 10:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Thing is Pete - you know as well I as do, that all this stuff spurted by the government is crap. They no more want you to slow down, than they want you to give up smoking or drinking or driving your car. It all generates too much money.

If they were serious about reducing road deaths and improving road saftey they would
introduce a tougher driving test, make advanced driver training compulsory, introduce compulsory eye tests every 5 years, look at the design of road junctions (poor road design is estimated to count for 60% of all accidents) etc etc. Problem is, this all costs money, rather than generating it.

Cynical? Me?
I agree, Chris - BUT, to complian about the law is stupid - its there, it has to be heeded or there are penalties to pay!

I don't agree with the TV licence (been in court for that!) - I don't agree that you should pay to sail a boat on the River! (who owns the river FFS!?) - I don't think I should have to pay for a licence to fish!!

However, if I don't want to get done I have to abide by the rules or pay the price ...... sticking childish stickers in my car will do NOTHING!

The law says thou shalt NOT speed ......... if you do, you choose to and you have to pay the penalty if caught!

I speed - and have been caught - BUT, the only way to cheat the government out of money from cameras is NOT to speed!!

Now, THAT would be the clever and grown up thing to do!!

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 03 September 2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:18 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Yes it does - they keep the funds necessary to maintain and provide the 'service' - only surplus funds are sent to central government now. Almost all police forces now participate in this scheme.

Fixed cameras (Gatso, Truvelo) are government funded (to build and maintain). The police are involved with the legal side of speeding though any police officer worth his badge will tell you they are not the answer to speed related injuries/death. (off the record of course).

Police make money from mobile vans, guns etc. Usually placed in areas where seeding actually IS dangerous.

Fixed cameras are to line the government pocket - police play a part due to the legalities of speeding thougn the police, as a group are not responsible for them.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:20 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pslewis
Makes me laugh, this childish hatred of Speed Cameras!

It's like hating Lions because they will eat you if you stroke them - what do you do??

Lesson - Don't stroke a Lion!!

You all KNOW that a camera will take a photo if you speed .....

Why hate them??

Just DON'T SPEED and you will have no need of 'Toys-out-of-the-Pram' Stickers!!

Grow up, slow down and don't get wound up!
Pete
The problem with speed cameras is that they can measure but one parameter, speed. There are unfortunately a lot more measures of what constitutes dangerous driving, tail gateing, weaving between lanes, using a mobile phone whilst at the wheel, driving tired, driving an un-fit car, not taking into account road conditions are but a few. I would hope most people would agree that travelling at 70mph on a motorway in heavy rain or snow be much much more dangerous than say travelling at 80mph in the dry on the same road at a quiet time of day, one would be deemed acceptable in the eyes of the law the other not.
My point is that a speed camera is a blunt tool, they have their place on our roads, but these are outside schools and busy road junctions, not on straight sections of our motorways and dual carriageways. I believe these places are best served by our Traffic Police and a good helping of common sense.

Pete, you show me a driver who has never speeded, and I'll show you a liar!!

Mark
Old 03 September 2004, 10:24 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark_S
The problem with speed cameras is that they can measure but one parameter, speed. There are unfortunately a lot more measures of what constitutes dangerous driving, tail gateing, weaving between lanes, using a mobile phone whilst at the wheel, driving tired, driving an un-fit car, not taking into account road conditions are but a few. I would hope most people would agree that travelling at 70mph on a motorway in heavy rain or snow be much much more dangerous than say travelling at 80mph in the dry on the same road at a quiet time of day, one would be deemed acceptable in the eyes of the law the other not.
My point is that a speed camera is a blunt tool, they have their place on our roads, but these are outside schools and busy road junctions, not on straight sections of our motorways and dual carriageways. I believe these places are best served by our Traffic Police and a good helping of common sense.

Mark

Speed is the only measurable thing though. Its not dangerous in itself but its "more" dangerous if coupled with ****** driving.

It sucks I know but there isn't another alternative.

My gripe is with ill placed cameras.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:27 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

If this goverment (or any other for that matter) are serious about reducing road deaths then they should spend a lot more on making the roads safe. The A1 for one would benefit big time if they upgraded it to motorway all along its length (removing all the dangerous side turnings) . The money is there for gods sake, they take enough from us to fund road building all across Europe!.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:30 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

If this goverment (or any other for that matter) are serious about reducing road deaths then they should spend a lot more on making the roads safe. The A1 for one would benefit big time if they upgraded it to motorway all along its length (removing all the dangerous side turnings) . The money is there for gods sake, they take enough from us to fund road building all across Europe!.
I use the M1 dailly. 120 mile round trip to work.

A good start would be signs saying :

"remember, keep left unles overtaking".

Congestion would decrease so much. But what do I know - I'm just a pleb that votes instead of being voted 'for'.
Old 03 September 2004, 10:33 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Speed is the only measurable thing though. Its not dangerous in itself but its "more" dangerous if coupled with ****** driving.

It sucks I know but there isn't another alternative.

My gripe is with ill placed cameras.
My point is that traffic police seem to have been replaced by machines. Surely the alternative is to bring back the traffic cop who can take into account conditions/bad driving/speed etc etc. It's all about money though isnt it!!
Old 03 September 2004, 10:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mark
Can't 'quite' follow that logic??

Its a SPEED camera - it measures speed and prosecutes those doing in excess of the posted limit.

It is not a 'Tired/Sleepy Detector Camera', a Tail-Gating Camera or a Mobile Phone use Camera ................. it does what it says on the box, so I can't see your point?

There are other driving offences that a speed camera doesn't see - but thats no excuse for breaking the law and speeding is it?

Like I said, I speed - if I get caught then thats whats supposed to happen!!

Pete
Old 03 September 2004, 11:02 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Like I said, I speed - if I get caught then thats whats supposed to happen!!

Pete
Is this guy one of the cops making £7k per year in overtime running the scamera vans?

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

http://www.abd.org.uk/
Old 03 September 2004, 11:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

If you don't speed then you won't get caught and feel bitter, thats all I am saying!

Choose to speed and get caught - well, pay up - its the penalty for speeding!

Its a fact of life - the sooner some become to accept it as such the less of these, "I got done for doing 100MPH please help me get off threads"!!

Or the even more pathetic, "I'll show them, I'll put a sticker in my car that says Speed Cameras Stink"!!

Come on, grow up, slow down and put your money to other uses!!

Pete
Old 03 September 2004, 11:14 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I'm sorry my logic was too complicated for you
Old 03 September 2004, 11:15 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

My point is that traffic police seem to have been replaced by machines. Surely the alternative is to bring back the traffic cop who can take into account conditions/bad driving/speed etc etc. It's all about money though isnt it!!
Agreed 100% but I fear they never will.

Sucks doesn't it.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I'm sorry my logic was too complicated for you
Hmmmmmmm, complicated? The word childish did spring to mind, but alas I held my tongue

Pete
Old 03 September 2004, 11:23 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmm, complicated? The word childish did spring to mind, but alas I held my tongue

Pete
Suggest you read Nicks thread "Foundation stone of "Speed Kills" Abandoned by DfT" maybe then you might get it, but then maybe not.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

To me, if you break the law and get caught you pay a penalty ...... its very difficult for me to stretch that into your logic. So I won't try

Pete
Old 03 September 2004, 11:28 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

To me, if you break the law and get caught you pay a penalty ...... its very difficult for me to stretch that into your logic. So I won't try

Pete
Good
Old 03 September 2004, 11:32 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

new law:
pslewis cannot go faster than 10 mph
Old 03 September 2004, 11:36 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If you don't speed then you won't get caught and feel bitter, thats all I am saying!

Choose to speed and get caught - well, pay up - its the penalty for speeding!
Oh dear theres always one isnt there, coming out with the "speed limits are there for a reason, if u break them u deserve to be caught argument"...

So lets say you have a perfectly safe stretch of duel carriageway way - 70mph limit, so I presume you'd agree it was safe to travel at 65mph in normal conditions? Not breaking the law there.

Then speed cam partnership comes along - "oh lets cut the limit to 50mph for no reason, and hide a camera van down there", so now 65mph IS illegal and results in 3 points, and (more importantly for them) £60 fine...... get the picture? thats whats happening and thats whats pis$ing people off.

Just because you dont disagree with speed camera policy doesnt automatically mean you think its fine to drive everywhere at stupid speeds.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:40 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Pete

Agreed....but, do you not agree that some laws are flawed?? After all, laws are devised by people, some humans (who make these laws) are as prone to make mistakes as any other human.

Road safety is good. Damn, I have a Porsche for the track but a boggy basic Vectra for the road. Speed doesn't kill but its the only, realistically contributing factor tha you can measure.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 03 September 2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:54 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Am resisting the temptation to reply having spent the afternoon sweeping (well....more jet washing) a 6 year old off the road. An incident purely caused by excess speed.............

Quick Reply: Anti speed camera stickers! Everyone should have one!!