Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Breaking News: Russian School Stormed

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 11:33 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Breaking News: Russian School Stormed

On Sky news now. Russian special forces have stormed the school where 100's of children were being held.

Horrific scenes on TV now, chaos and kids being stretchered off. Seems like the storming has failed or at least partially failed.

Old 03 September 2004, 11:40 AM
Rachael
Scooby Regular

I agree, pictures have been horrific. There seems to be some lack of organisation, nobdoy seems to know how many children there are, whether there are any left inside, whether the gunmen (and women) have taken children with them, and it seems like nobody knows who is in charge.
The pictures are quite disturbing.
Old 03 September 2004, 11:44 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Tank fire and Grendades going off now

Some reports that all the kids are alive, but that seems to be very optimistic now
Old 03 September 2004, 11:53 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

more here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624024.stm

I suppose if this quote is true- "They took some of the injured out of the gym and finished them off right there in the corridor," then there wasnt much else they could do.

Steve
Old 03 September 2004, 12:01 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was never going to end peacefully . Storming the building was probably the only way to limit the casualties. I don't think the Chechens did their cause a whole heap of good today.

Suresh
Old 03 September 2004, 12:04 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
It was never going to end peacefully . Storming the building was probably the only way to limit the casualties. I don't think the Chechens did their cause a whole heap of good today.

Suresh
Agree totally. As I said in the other thread, people like this make demands that cannot be satisfied, killing them is the only way. Its just too bad they had to drag innocent people down with them.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:15 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

10 confirmed dead, more to follow for certain. What a shambles
BTW the media are only reporting on a certain section of what goes in the news. There are atrocities going on all over the world, not all of it relgious based. Some of it is tribal, some of money, some over honour and some for none at all.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:22 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Now being reported that 13 terrorists have escaped
Old 03 September 2004, 12:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
Don't see Sihks, Buddists, Christians on telly killing people or blowing things up do you
Invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan not shown on your TV Bob?

No Israeli rocket attacks and bulldozing of Palestinian homes?

Trial of Slobodan Milosevic (Christian) for war crimes and crimes against humanity?

It's all there if you look, I'm afraid. The difference seems to be, it's Moslem individuals who perpetrate such crimes - when it comes to other religions, they let the state do it. Is that better, or worse?

Not a dig at you personally mate, but trying to put the bigger picture.

Sevodnya uzhastnie den. Today is horrible.

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 03 September 2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:48 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Should have sent the SAS in they would have done the job properly!

I used to think the Spetznaz were the best but obviously that was in the days of the cold war. When I was in the Army in the late 80's the very word Spetznaz used to send a shiver down your spine.
Old 03 September 2004, 01:03 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Watching the greatest SAS missions on Weds nights on Ch 5. They've done and been through some right ****, but last weeks was the storming the embassy program. What a superbly executed maneouver, they are a force to be reckoned with for sure!
Old 03 September 2004, 01:13 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Should have sent the SAS in they would have done the job properly!

I used to think the Spetznaz were the best but obviously that was in the days of the cold war. When I was in the Army in the late 80's the very word Spetznaz used to send a shiver down your spine.
I disagree. Its being reported that Spetznaz were depolyed as the gunmen were threatening a mass execution.

Given the circumstances, and seemingly total lack of information on just how many hostages were inside and their condition, I very much doubt the SAS, or indeed any other SF unit would have done any better, however I would have thought it could have been contained a little better.

The Iranian Embassy siege wasn't rigged with trip mines, suicide bombers strapped up with explosives and other deadly hazards and was reported to have been a well researched operation prior to the storming, including days worth of surveillance. It would appear that the Russian School siege simply didnt provide enough time to conduct the necessary surveillance, due to the threat of a mass execution.

I feel very sad for the poor children involved - God only knows the effect this sort of thing will have on the survivors.

Neil
Old 03 September 2004, 01:21 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Officials say 250 hostages wounded, including 180 children
What a disgrace. The people who refuse to condemn these sorts of acts are beneath contempt.
Old 03 September 2004, 01:34 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Apparently they haven't quite escaped, but are cornered in a nearby building.
Old 03 September 2004, 01:41 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Hopefully it will be the same as with the SAS embassy siege, i.e. the terrorists will be "ushered" back into the building and duly dispatched!
Old 03 September 2004, 01:43 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

There was no way for the siege to end easily. Bear in mind that food and water was being refused, so the kids were going to start to suffer seriously very soon, and the fact that the Chechens have never exactly showed a willingness to negotiate ... this was a (tragic) inevitability.

As to whether the Russian troops did a good job? Doesn't seem so at present, but we'll have to see what the trus casualty figues are one it's all over. If, as reported, there were in excess of 1000 hostages, then 100 dead, though awful, might well be considered to be a reasonable enough survival rate. It would never be a 100% survival rate, not with that many hostages and so many gunmen.
Old 03 September 2004, 01:51 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I just hope that the SAS update their training - it won't be long before these nutters do something at least as bad here.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:40 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

ANother PR disaster for the Jihad.

When will the rest of the Muslim world make a decent attempt at stopping what is happening? Watched the news Wednesday night - Sadr and co. hiding behind Islam, School hostages, planes blown up, French reporters getting kidnapped (and France is well known for its stance against the war in Iraq, and the Palestinian cause) you name it, these illiterate ****** are hiding behind their phoney "Jihad". Where are the moderate voices of the Jordanian/Egyptian/Lebanese Muslims? Look at how the French have handled the head scarf issue (the head scarf being a fairly recent fashion for Muslim women) - they put the law of the land first (which is very Islamic)

And what's all this Martyr stuff? - the remaining "freedom fighters" scarpered out of the school once they'd slain a few toddlers. So they don't get to see Allah now then as they bottled it?

Shooting children eh?

All facist muslims are free to come round and have a pop if they fancy it.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

When will the rest of the Muslim world make a decent attempt at stopping what is happening?
Good question. Apparently, according to the experts on this board it's got nothing to do with Muslims.
Old 03 September 2004, 05:25 PM
Scuba
Scooby Regular

The russian army forces didn't look very sorted out or commanded! They were running about the place without any armour or helmets at one point!!

Different story if that happened over here (god forbid)...our troops would have holes in there boots and jammed guns!

Na, it would be a 'SAS' operation who would leave no feckin 'Jihad' extremist behind...
Old 03 September 2004, 05:34 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

If it happened in this country there would probably be some politically correct lawyer preventing any attack on the hostage takers on the grounds that it would infringe their human rights.

UB
Old 03 September 2004, 05:43 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
If it happened in this country there would probably be some politically correct lawyer preventing any attack on the hostage takers on the grounds that it would infringe their human rights.

UB
Get real - why do you think we don't get hostage situations in the UK? The message went out very clearly following the Iranian Embassy siege that anyone trying it would not succeed.

I was not a fan of Thatcher - pretty much as far opposite as you can imagine - but her deployment of the SAS has saved many lives since, more because of their total precision than due to their undoubted ruthlessness.

And although I'm aware you don't like Tony Blair, he was quite willing to take us to war, and wouldn't shrink from ensuring terrorists in the UK were fully dealt with.

Afterwards, yes, you'd probably have some celeb lawyers trying to argue about human rights, but as in the case of the Belgrano, the vast majority of the population would recognise that it was a pretty repellent thing to do, but one which needed doing.
Old 03 September 2004, 06:00 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The IRA needed taking out in Gibralter, didn't stop the SAS members getting fcuked over for doing it so no this country isn't so great at protecting its military forces doing their jobs!
Yeah, but they were REALLY stupid in doing it the way they did. There's a rule of law, and in a hostage situation everyone is quite happy to trun a blind eye. When it comes to an ambush, you've got to be CERTAIN that you've got it right. In this case the SAS unit were mistaken in the assumption that (a) the IRA unit had a bomb in the car (they had put a bomb in a DIFFERENT car though) and (b) they were armed.

Although there was media criticism of the SAS for unlawful killings, the inquest cleared the regiment, so it's not entirely fair to say that they got screwed over.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: Russian School Stormed