Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

need a bookkeeper? new business plans

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2004, 01:28 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb need a bookkeeper? new business plans

I am thinking of going it alone as a bookkeeper & doing vat returns.

If anyone here employs a bookkeeper I would be really grateful if you could give me a rough guide as to what the going rate seems to be? (in the north) & any general advice on working for yourself would be good. I'm not going to need a bank loan or anything as start up costs for this kind of business are minimal, but I was wondering how hard it is to get paid! Should clients set up a direct debit to a business account or should I just invoice them once a month? & whats the best way to go about getting new clients without treading on peoples toes etc?

PS if you are thinking of taking one on drop me a line & maybe I can be of help.

Last edited by scoobess; 31 August 2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 31 August 2004, 01:30 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

www.businesslink.gov.uk Contact your local Business Link, they will be more than happy to help and answer your queries!
Old 31 August 2004, 01:34 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Thanks eClaire
Old 31 August 2004, 01:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobess
whats the best way to go about getting new clients without treading on peoples toes etc?
Unless you are hoping to persuade people who do not use a bookeeper to start using one, I am afraid the above is unavoidable, you will be taking clients off somebody else - that's business.
Old 31 August 2004, 02:52 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

"Unless you are hoping to persuade people who do not use a bookeeper to start using one, I am afraid the above is unavoidable, you will be taking clients off somebody else - that's business."

Point taken. I would rather attract clients who currently don't use a bookkeeper currently & are begining to struggle with this aspect of their business or new small companies looking to outsource there bookkeeping.
Old 31 August 2004, 02:56 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

£30 a month. My bookeeper comes to my house, takes away the invoices etc etc and brings them back a week or so later. All very relaxed.
Old 31 August 2004, 02:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobess
Point taken. I would rather attract clients who currently don't use a bookkeeper currently & are begining to struggle with this aspect of their business or new small companies looking to outsource there bookkeeping.
Better have a damn good value proposition then otherwise you may well find uptake slow.

Thing is, if you are good and offer good value, you will end up getting customers by word of mouth and will end up poaching clients from others anyway. I wouldn't worry about it, as soon as you have a few customers, others will be trying to poach them off you I can assure you.
Old 31 August 2004, 03:11 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
£30 a month. My bookeeper comes to my house, takes away the invoices etc etc and brings them back a week or so later. All very relaxed.
This is my ideal way of conducting business, £30 seems a good price I'd been thingking between £25-35 for say 3 hours work, plus collection & delivery of paper work. Great help thanks
Old 31 August 2004, 03:26 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Oh and I get invoiced once a month, Wouldn't be happy with a direct debit plan so don't commit clients to it.
Old 31 August 2004, 04:36 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

TBH I think you will be wasting your time and struggle, I have done this for the last 14 years - far too many Accountants are now doing a full package at a set price for small businesses which include doing the annual accounts and PAYE, so you will be up against them and you will find it hard to compete against them
Old 31 August 2004, 07:41 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Redkop, I am training as an accountant & can do wages, PAYE, statutory books, dividend vouchers, accounts etc! just need a my qualification & I can compete with them if needs be.

Or do you think thats not enough?

Last edited by scoobess; 31 August 2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 31 August 2004, 07:51 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
TBH I think you will be wasting your time and struggle, I have done this for the last 14 years - far too many Accountants are now doing a full package at a set price for small businesses which include doing the annual accounts and PAYE, so you will be up against them and you will find it hard to compete against them

Maybe thats being a little negative Redkop. My bookkeeper is mad busy to the point of turning work away. When she started 2 years ago she had nothing. You've got to try or you'll never know...