Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private Reg when selling

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2004, 09:46 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Reg when selling

Anyone know the best process of changing a private plate over when selling and buying a car?

Currenlty have one on my car, and I will sell the car first, and then be on the look out for a new car ( 2nd hand not brand new ).

Is it a case of putting it on retention ( sp ) ?

If so isnt this going to be a problem with v5 etc taking a while to come through?
Old 24 August 2004, 10:17 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
Anyone know the best process of changing a private plate over when selling and buying a car?

Currenlty have one on my car, and I will sell the car first, and then be on the look out for a new car ( 2nd hand not brand new ).

Is it a case of putting it on retention ( sp ) ?

If so isnt this going to be a problem with v5 etc taking a while to come through?

You will have to put it on retention.It only takes a couple of weeks.When you get your new car go to local licensing office and you switch your plate to new car there and then.
Old 24 August 2004, 10:31 PM
l3wyy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I normally get the dealer to do it, most big main dealers have an account direct with the DVLA, When I slung in the 172 for the STI8 they moved it. It you're doing it private, as the man say's above - or pop along to your local office and take a place in the - - - - V E R Y L O N G Q U E U E - - - - And don't try farting in the queue to get to the front quicker....It doesn't work
Old 24 August 2004, 10:33 PM
l3wyy
Scooby Regular

Oh forgot to add, retention is £85 from one to the other and if in retention and off a vechile is an additional £25 per year. Main post offices also have the forms.
Old 24 August 2004, 10:37 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l3wyy
I normally get the dealer to do it, most big main dealers have an account direct with the DVLA, When I slung in the 172 for the STI8 they moved it. It you're doing it private, as the man say's above - or pop along to your local office and take a place in the - - - - V E R Y L O N G Q U E U E - - - - And don't try farting in the queue to get to the front quicker....It doesn't work
Oh and make sure you get in the right queue,not like me who waited 35 mins then had to start again when man at window said"wrong window mate ,not my department that,you need that one over there"FFS.New ticket ,new queue,nother 25 mins.!!!!!!
Chester RD Manchester btw.
Old 25 August 2004, 08:29 AM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

They normally tell you that the V5 will take about six weeks to come through, but in my experience it has always arrived within two.
Old 25 August 2004, 09:28 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

retention is £105, ive just done it

Its £80 to transfer and if its on retention its a further £25 after 12 months.

Be aware that if you sell the car and the private plate is still on the V5 the new owner of the car will also own the private plate. top tip - retain the plate before you submit the V5 to dvla.

This was the case when i bought my car in february, being a good guy i got in touch with the original owner of the plate and he paid the fee to have it retained. although the plateis in my name i had his name put on the retention certificate as well, signed it and gave it to him.

hth
chris