Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Appraisal on Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 11:51 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Appraisal on Tuesday

Have got my appraisal at work on Tuesday, should be ok as obviously I am a hero but just need some pointers on what to say, examples and stuff, havent donme one for years as it was optional and generally I am busy doing actual work rather than farting about telling them how great I am but now they have made it mandatory.

Its not like a private company where if you are any good you get to keep your job and a few extra quid or if not its P45 time, its all poncy categories about team working and taking responsibility, it doesnt cover work related stuff like whether you can actully do the job.
Old 22 August 2004, 01:11 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure your first question is 'how much extra money are you getting'

depending on the answer, will then depend on how well the rest of the appraisal goes and for how long
Old 22 August 2004, 01:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonic, doesnt make a lot of difference, 3% agreed for September, Cost of living rise for the whole organisation and I get my last increment in April which takes me to the maximum of my career grade, I then have to get promoted to get any more money which is a bone of contention, going to keep asking though.
Old 22 August 2004, 01:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your lucky then

I wasnt so lucky, and they waited until the end of the appraisal to tell me that I wont get any more money,

I was so annoyed, we were there another 4 hours discussing why
Old 22 August 2004, 03:33 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally appraisals are not linked to salary reviews - at least they shouldn't be.

An appraisal should discuss how you've done against objectives (or KPIs - key performance indictators). So if you don't have objectives there is not much to appraise and you'll probably find the exercise a waste of time. This is because before you walk in your boss will have a different view on what you should have done vs. what you have done as you'll boss won't know all the variables that you've managed over the year.

Anyway, it should include

1) Acheivements against objectives including stretch targets. You'll probably find that unless your objectives are revisited regulary, what you've done is different to what objectives you were set 12 months ago. This is where you want to "big yourself up". Mention positive aspects you managed time, budget, cost savings, benefits. Additionally talk about your ability to manage - people skills such as teamwork and communication, vendor management, etc.

2) Challenges. What you'd have done differently and why.

3) Examples of best practice. What you've taken from the previosu year that you can reapply in new situations.

4) Career Development. Discussion on where you want to go in the medium to long term (2-5 years) and how you think you can get there. The point here is to agree a development pklan that will be supported by the company.

5) Agree a Training Plan. To work more on your good points and adress the bad points. Could be discussed as part of point 4

6) 360 degree feedback. This is something relatively new and is where you provide feedback on your boss and you're own underlings provide feedback on you. It's a kind of check and balance activity that allows feedback in both directions.

Finally, all the above should be documented (signed by both you and your boss) and put in your personnel record. When the salary review happens this information should be taken in to account. During the appraisal you can mention how you're taking on additional responsibility and delivering value, etc. But keep money discussions seperate and save it for the salary review if possible.
Old 22 August 2004, 03:34 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know I need training on spelling