Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just had to share this...

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 12:07 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had to share this...

Here's another example of how speed cameras help us. I swear that this is true and unembellished.

A few weeks ago I was riding along behind a lady in a Mercedes. Nice quiet residential road, doing just under 30. The lady drove straight into a parked car.

I stopped and got off to see if she was OK, needed a phone, whatever. And her opening comment, after I had established that she was unhurt and that yes, I had seen what happened, was this,

"It can't be my fault - I wasn't speeding."

Because as we all know, speed kills. Inattention and plain old crap driving doesn't...

God help us all.

SB
Old 13 August 2004, 12:21 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Give these people as much room as they need. They're on drugs, or pissed. Or maybe they're just high on 'Blair's Brittain' - i.e. they think they can litigate their way out of any incompetence.

UB
Old 13 August 2004, 12:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

saw an old bird arrive outside the office this morning and take near enough 20 minutes to climb out of her car and wak 15 feet to the front door. My first thought was 'imagine the emercency stop'..... 3.2 miles thinking distance at 30 mPH etc........
Old 13 August 2004, 09:15 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Had an old biddy pull across my lane on the motorway tonight, she wasn't looking what was to her right or behind her, just thought she could move lanes as she wanted regardless of what was around her She must have been in her eighties. I beeped the horn on the bike but I don't even think she heard me lol - probably stone deaf These people just shouldn't be on the road!
oi bob, heres a slant for you.
if you werent on the road, this incident wouldn't have happened at all, so its your fault.

LOL

PS On-anon (piccadilly) tonight 5.00-7.00pm happy hour b there or square.

BB
Old 13 August 2004, 09:21 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beemerboy
if you werent on the road, this incident wouldn't have happened at all, so its your fault.
Hello

You should work for the Saudi Arabian police force. Quite a long time ago, a person that I was working with was arrested (and then got bailed and ran away..) for murder.

His crime was that he was in a taxi that crashed and killed someone. The arrestable offence was that if he (as a non-mulsim) was not in the taxi then it would not have crashed in to the person and killed them. Not a racist comment, just an interesting philiosophical point. Not that my colleague thought like that...

Steve.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:26 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

In Flintshire, where I live, there is a campaign to get more speed cameras! And this is from the general public. Saying that, our incidence of RTAs has decreased by 40%, and we have the greatest concentration of speed cameras in North Wales.

Maybe Flintshire CC have actually put them where they are needed.

Still doesn't account for the silly cow mentioned at the start of the thread though.

Geezer
Old 13 August 2004, 09:27 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

lol. But to be fair she was probably just in shock.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:37 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
In Flintshire, where I live, there is a campaign to get more speed cameras! And this is from the general public. Saying that, our incidence of RTAs has decreased by 40%, and we have the greatest concentration of speed cameras in North Wales.

Maybe Flintshire CC have actually put them where they are needed.
Geezer
I doubt it, it is just figure fudging again. Put the cameras where there have been a freakishly high number of accidents in a given year. What's going to happen next year?? Accidents go down where the cameras are, which of course they would have done if nothing at all had been done. I also suspect the "40%" quoted is "at camera sites" and not overall. See how much the figures drop next year. Also ask your local council for the figures for the Fatalities, not the KSI figures as see if you are still happy
Old 13 August 2004, 12:30 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
"It can't be my fault - I wasn't speeding."

Because as we all know, speed kills. Inattention and plain old crap driving doesn't...

God help us all.
Trouble is, judging by the way people drive these days, I think a lot of people have this mindset that if they are not speeding they arent doing anything wrong!
Old 13 August 2004, 12:38 PM
WENDI B
Scooby Regular

Old biddies are my biggest bug bear, Don't they need to resit a driving test or retire from driving! 60 sounds like a good age to give it up! or they should be banned from public roads, or given their own lane, or shipped to another country!
Old 13 August 2004, 12:39 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Trouble is, judging by the way people drive these days, I think a lot of people have this mindset that if they are not speeding they arent doing anything wrong!
Spot on....

Remember reading some research a few years ago as to who was the safest driver:

a) Mr legal driver on motorway @ 70mph
b) Mr illegal driver on motorway @ 90mph

Mr illegal driver @ 90mph was deemed much safer as he was at least 'alert' and constantly aware of his surroundings ie. looking out for plod and generally having a heightened sense of anxiety/risk as he knows he is doing wrong.

Where as Mr legal driver @ 70mph was so complacement and lazy as he thinks he's no danger to anyone and not in any trouble. Therefore reactions are a lot slower etc....

Makes perfect sense to me ....

Although as I'm sure someone will soon point out no doubt if Mr Legal @ 70mph was to pay attention, then that would be the ideal scenario
Old 13 August 2004, 12:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WENDI B
Old biddies are my biggest bug bear, Don't they need to resit a driving test or retire from driving! 60 sounds like a good age to give it up! or they should be banned from public roads, or given their own lane, or shipped to another country!
Not sure that age is the big factor there, my old boy is in his mid 60's still competent in his cars and on his motorbikes, but then he is an enthusiast and that does perhaps lead to a higher standard of driving
Old 14 August 2004, 04:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Fast Boy,

You should realise that elderly people often cannot move very fast when they are walking because of arthritis or some similar complaint that affects them when they are standing or walking. Does not mean to say that their minds are not still sharp or that they cannot use their legs well enough for driving when they are seated in the car. Did you actually talk to that person to be able to form an accurate idea of her competence or was that just an unfair assumption of yours?

Wendi B

Your remarks have no accuracy with such a generalisation and you should be ashamed for displaying such a selfish attitude! One day when you have grown up you may realise why.

Les
Old 14 August 2004, 07:26 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Great story Just goes to prove that if you say something enough times, people will believe anything. Now repeat after me: Speed Kills, Speed Kills....

Reminds me of a guy I was at school with who, while riding his push bike home, managed to go straight into a skip Shouldn't laugh, but he got ripped to shreds for weeks afterwards.

Chris
Old 14 August 2004, 07:29 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

My dad is well old and he's a wicked driver. So much so I told him to trade in his Polo for a Scooby.
Old 15 August 2004, 12:11 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

we watched a woman at work the other day trying to reverse out of a space..

there was a car parked about 15 ft behind her, it wasnt impossible to get

out, but meant you needed a double chop..

she had two attempts and took for twenty minutes, before finally coming

into reception and asking if we could find the person in the other carand ask

them to move.. the receptionist asked if i could give her a hand...

she had a mk 2 astra.. i jumped in and went to wind down the window..

it didnt work, nor did either of her electric windows...

2 chops later i was out...

mind you how did the stupid woman identify the gap between vehicles...

by standing between me and the other car!!!!!!!!!!

when i returned to reception, one of the secratarys said... it took her 15

minutes to try and reverse in, she gave up and drove in..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personaly we dont even think she had a driving licence!!!

Mart
Old 15 August 2004, 11:31 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

2 chops later i was out...
Lamb, pork or karate?