ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Just had to share this... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/352639-just-had-to-share-this.html)

Sbradley 13 August 2004 12:07 AM

Just had to share this...

Here's another example of how speed cameras help us. I swear that this is true and unembellished.

A few weeks ago I was riding along behind a lady in a Mercedes. Nice quiet residential road, doing just under 30. The lady drove straight into a parked car.

I stopped and got off to see if she was OK, needed a phone, whatever. And her opening comment, after I had established that she was unhurt and that yes, I had seen what happened, was this,

"It can't be my fault - I wasn't speeding."

Because as we all know, speed kills. Inattention and plain old crap driving doesn't...

God help us all.

SB

Bravo2zero_sps 13 August 2004 12:13 AM

LOL its scary out there!

Had an old biddy pull across my lane on the motorway tonight, she wasn't looking what was to her right or behind her, just thought she could move lanes as she wanted regardless of what was around her :o She must have been in her eighties. I beeped the horn on the bike but I don't even think she heard me lol - probably stone deaf :rolleyes: These people just shouldn't be on the road!

unclebuck 13 August 2004 12:21 AM

:)

Give these people as much room as they need. They're on drugs, or pissed. Or maybe they're just high on 'Blair's Brittain' - i.e. they think they can litigate their way out of any incompetence.

UB:mad:

fast bloke 13 August 2004 12:26 AM

saw an old bird arrive outside the office this morning and take near enough 20 minutes to climb out of her car and wak 15 feet to the front door. My first thought was 'imagine the emercency stop'..... 3.2 miles thinking distance at 30 mPH etc........

Bravo2zero_sps 13 August 2004 12:49 AM

LOL its like that FB at my local gp's car park. Sitting in the waiting room waiting for the appointment is the best bit, watching the old codgers do 17 point turns, watching two reverse out their spaces from opposite ends of the car park, think they are going to hit one another so both drive straight back into their spaces at the same time and then start all over again :D Has me in stitches until I realise i'm sharing the roads with these lunatics :(

beemerboy 13 August 2004 09:15 AM

Had an old biddy pull across my lane on the motorway tonight, she wasn't looking what was to her right or behind her, just thought she could move lanes as she wanted regardless of what was around her She must have been in her eighties. I beeped the horn on the bike but I don't even think she heard me lol - probably stone deaf These people just shouldn't be on the road!
oi bob, heres a slant for you.
if you werent on the road, this incident wouldn't have happened at all, so its your fault.

LOL

PS On-anon (piccadilly) tonight 5.00-7.00pm happy hour b there or square.

BB:)

boxst 13 August 2004 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by beemerboy
if you werent on the road, this incident wouldn't have happened at all, so its your fault.

Hello

You should work for the Saudi Arabian police force. Quite a long time ago, a person that I was working with was arrested (and then got bailed and ran away..) for murder.

His crime was that he was in a taxi that crashed and killed someone. The arrestable offence was that if he (as a non-mulsim) was not in the taxi then it would not have crashed in to the person and killed them. Not a racist comment, just an interesting philiosophical point. Not that my colleague thought like that...

Steve.

Geezer 13 August 2004 09:26 AM

In Flintshire, where I live, there is a campaign to get more speed cameras! And this is from the general public. Saying that, our incidence of RTAs has decreased by 40%, and we have the greatest concentration of speed cameras in North Wales.

Maybe Flintshire CC have actually put them where they are needed.

Still doesn't account for the silly cow mentioned at the start of the thread though.

Geezer

Senior_AP 13 August 2004 09:27 AM

lol. But to be fair she was probably just in shock.

OllyK 13 August 2004 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geezer
In Flintshire, where I live, there is a campaign to get more speed cameras! And this is from the general public. Saying that, our incidence of RTAs has decreased by 40%, and we have the greatest concentration of speed cameras in North Wales.

Maybe Flintshire CC have actually put them where they are needed.
Geezer

I doubt it, it is just figure fudging again. Put the cameras where there have been a freakishly high number of accidents in a given year. What's going to happen next year?? Accidents go down where the cameras are, which of course they would have done if nothing at all had been done. I also suspect the "40%" quoted is "at camera sites" and not overall. See how much the figures drop next year. Also ask your local council for the figures for the Fatalities, not the KSI figures as see if you are still happy

Nat 13 August 2004 10:58 AM

My friend was telling me last night - driving down two lane slip road, woman in front just stopped dead at the bottom, cue everyone trying to avoid her and a couple of small prangs/bumps. Woman then tried to drive off, my forced her to pull over. She said she wasnt sure if she wanted to go back up the sliproad or not and had stopped to think about it :eek:

CTR 13 August 2004 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradley
"It can't be my fault - I wasn't speeding."

Because as we all know, speed kills. Inattention and plain old crap driving doesn't...

God help us all.

Trouble is, judging by the way people drive these days, I think a lot of people have this mindset that if they are not speeding they arent doing anything wrong!

WENDI B 13 August 2004 12:38 PM

Old biddies are my biggest bug bear, Don't they need to resit a driving test or retire from driving! 60 sounds like a good age to give it up! or they should be banned from public roads, or given their own lane, or shipped to another country!

SiPie 13 August 2004 12:39 PM

Trouble is, judging by the way people drive these days, I think a lot of people have this mindset that if they are not speeding they arent doing anything wrong!
Spot on....

Remember reading some research a few years ago as to who was the safest driver:

a) Mr legal driver on motorway @ 70mph
b) Mr illegal driver on motorway @ 90mph

Mr illegal driver @ 90mph was deemed much safer as he was at least 'alert' and constantly aware of his surroundings ie. looking out for plod and generally having a heightened sense of anxiety/risk as he knows he is doing wrong.

Where as Mr legal driver @ 70mph was so complacement and lazy as he thinks he's no danger to anyone and not in any trouble. Therefore reactions are a lot slower etc....

Makes perfect sense to me ....

Although as I'm sure someone will soon point out :rolleyes: ;) no doubt if Mr Legal @ 70mph was to pay attention, then that would be the ideal scenario :p

OllyK 13 August 2004 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by WENDI B
Old biddies are my biggest bug bear, Don't they need to resit a driving test or retire from driving! 60 sounds like a good age to give it up! or they should be banned from public roads, or given their own lane, or shipped to another country!

Not sure that age is the big factor there, my old boy is in his mid 60's still competent in his cars and on his motorbikes, but then he is an enthusiast and that does perhaps lead to a higher standard of driving

Leslie 14 August 2004 04:27 PM

Fast Boy,

You should realise that elderly people often cannot move very fast when they are walking because of arthritis or some similar complaint that affects them when they are standing or walking. Does not mean to say that their minds are not still sharp or that they cannot use their legs well enough for driving when they are seated in the car. Did you actually talk to that person to be able to form an accurate idea of her competence or was that just an unfair assumption of yours?

Wendi B

Your remarks have no accuracy with such a generalisation and you should be ashamed for displaying such a selfish attitude! One day when you have grown up you may realise why.

Les :(

Chris L 14 August 2004 07:26 PM

Great story :( Just goes to prove that if you say something enough times, people will believe anything. Now repeat after me: Speed Kills, Speed Kills....

Reminds me of a guy I was at school with who, while riding his push bike home, managed to go straight into a skip :) Shouldn't laugh, but he got ripped to shreds for weeks afterwards.

Chris

Aaquil 14 August 2004 07:29 PM

My dad is well old and he's a wicked driver. So much so I told him to trade in his Polo for a Scooby.

mart360 15 August 2004 12:11 AM

we watched a woman at work the other day trying to reverse out of a space..

there was a car parked about 15 ft behind her, it wasnt impossible to get

out, but meant you needed a double chop..

she had two attempts and took for twenty minutes, before finally coming

into reception and asking if we could find the person in the other carand ask

them to move.. the receptionist asked if i could give her a hand...

she had a mk 2 astra.. i jumped in and went to wind down the window..

it didnt work, nor did either of her electric windows...

2 chops later i was out...

mind you how did the stupid woman identify the gap between vehicles...

by standing between me and the other car!!!!!!!!!!

when i returned to reception, one of the secratarys said... it took her 15

minutes to try and reverse in, she gave up and drove in..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personaly we dont even think she had a driving licence!!!

Mart

12LEE 15 August 2004 11:31 AM

2 chops later i was out...
Lamb, pork or karate?