Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ghost storys

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 11:46 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ghost storys

The other day when i was half asleep half awake in bed i felt a tap on my head three times tap tap tap at this i turn around still asleep and grabed a hand which then seemd to melt away. Then i woke up looked around the bedroom and under the bed thinking one of the kids or wife was playing a trick on me to find no one there. It dint realy bother me at the time i just went back to sleep but i told the wife and it gave her the shivers.
This set me thinking has enyone seen a ghost on here or any good ghost storys
Old 12 August 2004, 11:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Oh boy!! another one of these threads.

No doubt somebody will post the links to previous ghostly extravaganzas...

UB
Old 12 August 2004, 11:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You may want to go and get a brain scan chap !
Old 13 August 2004, 12:36 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Yer imagination playing tricks imo. Your brain 'tricks' you into thinking that you can feel something etc. Think about your dreams, it's the same except you are in a percieved state of awareness. When you experience them, you really do believe them to be real even though they clearly aren't.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:47 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Yer imagination playing tricks imo. Your brain 'tricks' you into thinking that you can feel something etc. Think about your dreams, it's the same except you are in a percieved state of awareness. When you experience them, you really do believe them to be real even though they clearly aren't.
Ah, sank you very much Professor Van Helsing for zis scientific explanations of ze paranormals.... It vill all be, as you say, 'fine und dandy' from here on in....

Old 13 August 2004, 08:54 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The hotel where my wife works is supposed to be haunted, it's an 18th century manor house, a while ago thhey had some ghost experts in for the night with special cameras, they sat up all night and found nothing, this hotel was also on a T.V. programme with Michael Aspel a few years back, my wife has worked there 18 years and has yet to see the ghost, mind you she's been there that long she could be the ghost
Cheers
Colin
Old 13 August 2004, 08:58 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doofus
I've had one .. about 8 yrs ago .. I was 24 .. woke up as my bedroom door opened ... the handle used to rattle a bit ... so sat up and looked at the clock .. it was only 4.30 a.m.

Definitely awake as checked the clock a few times and sat up, saw woman about 45, short dark hair (thought was my mum) in a red dressing gown at the door but she faded from the waist down (i.e. didn't see any feet/slippers) .. she smiled moved towards the radiator (about 4 feet or so) and then faded away.

Defo awake, not eyes re-adjusting to anything as I'd sat up and been awake for a good 15 seconds before any movement, should have scared the ****** out of me but didn't feel threatened just wondered what was going on. Still believe to this day I saw a ghost.

Can't have been my mum as she had passed away about 6 months before, did take me some time to go back to sleep. I am a rational person so very sceptical of most things but this one was genuine.

Haven't told many people about it, just the missus really.
Makes me feel a bit sad/better as to justify it think it may have been my mum checking I was OK. She used to have a dressing gown similar.

No joke.
Doofus.
Not calling you a liar, but please prove that you were awake during this incident by providing ECG / EEG outputs to confirm this. Until then I suggest that you were mistaken.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:00 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
The hotel where my wife works is supposed to be haunted, it's an 18th century manor house, a while ago thhey had some ghost experts in for the night with special cameras, they sat up all night and found nothing, this hotel was also on a T.V. programme with Michael Aspel a few years back, my wife has worked there 18 years and has yet to see the ghost, mind you she's been there that long she could be the ghost
Cheers
Colin
That's unusual, these paranormal nuts usually manage to find / invent something to prove there are ghosts there
Old 13 August 2004, 09:01 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I love reading about other people's ghostly experiences then spend the rest of the day scared outta my wits looking constantly over my shoulders

I'm already convinced this house has a presence, reading this thread this will just make me feel worse but I can't help myself, d'oh
Old 13 August 2004, 09:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lmao, can see where this thread is going not getting involved I reckon half the cases were people still half asleep half dreaming etc and half could well be true
Old 13 August 2004, 09:05 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lmao, can see where this thread is going not getting involved I reckon half the cases were people still half asleep half dreaming etc and half could well be true
When somebody shows me some credible evidence they I'll start to belive that that incident is true and that others may be. So far that evidence is very much lacking and so for me it is a case of people being mistaken or half asleep etc until otherwise proven
Old 13 August 2004, 09:48 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK .. obviously I was not strapped to any sort of cardio unit
So in light of a complete lack of anything other than anecdotal evidence we have what?? I prefer to follow explanations that fit quite nicely and don't require a fundamental shake up of the laws of science. Happy to do that if there is strong evidence, but in this case?? I don't think so.

...then realised it wasn't quite right.
Bingo!!!! Something isn't right, what is the most likely explanation, given that at the time you were in bed, it was the middle of the night and you "think" you had just woken up??

You won't believe it until you see proof which is fair enough, unless it was you having the 'experience' you wouldn't be able to tell whether you were half asleep etc ..
I suggest that anecdotal evidence is worthless. I have on a number of occasions woken up from a dream and been amazed at how realistic it all seemed. I didn't think ghosts were involved as the scenario in the dream was completely unrelated to my current location (i.e. I was dreaming I was on holiday for example). It would seem more likely that you were dreaming of your departed mother, checking up on you before she went to bed. Because so much of it was common to your actual situation, it just makes the dream "seem" even more real.

Until then I'd have said what a heap of pish and do think a lot of folk just make things up. However I'm a sceptical, grown up, rational bloke, to me it was real.
Doofus.
Your are a sceptical person or you are a sceptic, however from what you have just put I would have said you were not sceptical before, you were cynical and you are not sceptical now, you are a "believer".

A sceptic is "agnostic" about a phenomenon. I am undecided about ghosts, mediums, telepathy etc etc. From the evidence I have seen so far, I think it highly unlikely that they are genuine or anthing more than skullduggery or confusion, however, I am more than willing to swayed the otherway if some compelling evidence is presented. As each year goes by and still no evidence is provided, my belief that these things do not exists becoemes stronger, but it is never a certainty.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:55 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

ollyk

I wont bother.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:09 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
The other day when i was half asleep half awake in bed i felt a tap on my head three times tap tap tap at this i turn around still asleep and grabed a hand which then seemd to melt away. Then i woke up looked around the bedroom and under the bed thinking one of the kids or wife was playing a trick on me to find no one there. It dint realy bother me at the time i just went back to sleep but i told the wife and it gave her the shivers.
This set me thinking has enyone seen a ghost on here or any good ghost storys
This is called a dream, the thread post should be "dream storys (or stories)"

Otherwise i'll post a thread called "anyone else won the lottery"
Old 13 August 2004, 10:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK,

Well reasoned arguments indeed ..

.. but did I imagine getting up and going for a pish just after the incident then as well, before trying to get back to sleep?

.. and before you start is a definite no
Doofus.
If you woke up in a puddle in the morning we would have a bit more evidence to suggest that I am right perhaps. Sadly what you describe is just an extension of your dream (or could even be sleep walking) unless you have CCTV footage, suitably time stamped etc to show you going for the pee afterwards

What people seem to forget is that the human memory is actually a terrible device for recalling events acurately. I explained this in some detail in a previous supernatural thread, but would be happy to paraphrase if people feel it would benefit the discussion.

In short, from a scientific perspective, the human memory is not admissible as evidence.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:23 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK,
Someone asked for ghost stories,
To have a ghost story, you first have to establish that ghosts exist, so far nobody has been able to do this, as a result one has to assume that it is unlikely that they do and work forward from the premise.

I have no physical evidence, you have no proof it didn't happen.
Please note that the burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. If you make a claim, you need to be prepared to provide evidence to support it, it is not down to me to dis-prove it, merely to look at the evidence you provide and question its validity.

I still believe it happened and no amount of reasoning will get me to change my mind either.
I don't expect you to, once most people have accepted something supernatural (i.e. something that flies in the face of scientific evidence or is based on "faith" rather than fact) they find it very hard to accept new evidence and realise that they may be wrong. Indeed in the case of religion, even challenging their belief is usually enough to make them even more determined and close minded.

As a sceptic, I am always open to new evidence (hence why I asked for it in my first post) and am willing to chage my entire belief system in light of new evidence, sadly you seem to closed the door and have stated you will not change your mind, that's very sad.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:25 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Oh and just to add a bit of lightness ... do you know what car I drive ?

It's an DBM MY00 UK wagon, same as you ... spooky eh?
I can here Mulder and Scully outside as we speak.

Doofus.
The only 2 in the country
Old 13 August 2004, 11:28 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Lets just say OllyK is a non-beleiver - I was no different until I saw one.

The problem with confessing (if thats the right word) to experiences like this is you're branded either a Liar of a Looney - you can't win.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Lets just say OllyK is a non-beleiver - I was no different until I saw one.

The problem with confessing (if thats the right word) to experiences like this is you're branded either a Liar of a Looney - you can't win.
Why do I bother explaining that I am a sceptic and what that means if 2 posts later somebody completely igones what I have put and suggests that I am something completely different?

I am NOT a "non-beliver", I am "agnostic" (look it up www.dictionary.com) on the subject. Both belivers and non-belivers have closed minds on the subject, I do not, you an Doofus do.

For the record I have not called Doofus a Liar or a Looney. I have suggested that his memory of events is more than likely inaccurate and have pointed out that the human memory is awful. If anybody doubts me on that I'll be happy to provide a little test for you to show this.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:20 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face REALLY SCARY experience

I had a REALLY SCARY experience in Edinburgh a few months back...

One evening I was working in an old office in the city centre, moving computer equipment down a few floors and I had put a couple of computer monitors in the lift with me.

I swear that no one else was in the lift with me, I pressed the down button and it started moving down [me doing the usual whistle to myself while glancing in the lift mirror to make sure I'm ok] then suddenly the lift lurched violently and one monitor levitated up to the roof of the lift. I was scared ****less, it must have hung there for 1/2 a second before launching itself towards me with a loud bang and then shattering into dozens of bits on the lift floor.

I have never in my life been so frightened, and never again will I leave the monitor cable trailing outside the lift doors
Old 13 August 2004, 05:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Ghosts are real ghosts exist
I know I've seen them when Im pished
Ghosts are real its all true
I've seen them star with scooby doo

Poetic Friday ditty's available from Abdabz at £0.27 each - stop me and buy one
Old 13 August 2004, 05:40 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Dan.
Old 13 August 2004, 06:55 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Interesting how most 'ghost' stories are only experienced by people who are alone. Very rarely do you hear ghost stories involving a group of people.
Old 13 August 2004, 08:21 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sith
ollyk

I wont bother.
PMSL

You owe me a new keyboard Sith

class