Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Iraq, the new Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 10:31 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Iraq, the new Vietnam?

Looking at the news this morning, and generally really since 'hostilties' ended, the uprisings seem to be getting more and more aggressive.

The one thing that struck me this morning was the phrase

"The US military said on Monday that Najaf's Governor, Adnan Zorfi, had given its troops permission to raid the Imam Ali mausoleum in Najaf"

Almost like when the South Vietnamese govt. 'invited' them to send military advisors to help them.

The body count is starting to creep up for the Yanks, and I don't see any clear end to this. The Iraqis clearly do not have the security forces to deal with these insurgents, and the country will surely collapse back into chaos and probably an extreme Islamic state or a similar regime to the one that has just been ousted is the US were to leave.

It won't be long before w hear the term 'baby killers' again I suppose

Geezer
Old 12 August 2004, 11:39 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

The simple fact is that IRAQ does not want liberating or modernising, best thing to do is pull out all the western troops and let the religious freaks kill each other.

There will never be peace in IRAQ because there are to many religious leaders and blinkered brainwashed morons supporting them.

Either pull the troops out or send in lot lots more and any iraqu with a gun that is not a government soldier gets shot dead, that will soon put an end to the violence.

Nancying around saying we are peace keepers is not working so why not just shoot the morons.
Old 12 August 2004, 11:52 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Either pull the troops out or send in lot lots more and any iraqu with a gun that is not a government soldier gets shot dead, that will soon put an end to the violence.

Nancying around saying we are peace keepers is not working so why not just shoot the morons
You've killed plenty of Iraqis already. That not good enough for you?
Old 12 August 2004, 12:41 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

As long as there's oil still in Iraq, the US will keep their influence there, be it militarily or by puppet government.
Old 12 August 2004, 05:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

By attacking Iraq illegally in the first place the Allies are now in the position that if the troops leave the country then some tyrant like SH is likely to gain power again, and if the troops stay then there will be continuous strife and loss of life while the power struggle continues.

Doesn't look like a scintillating example of good leadership and sensible descision taking in the first place to me.

As the body count rises, public opinion will turn more and more against the troops remaining of course.

What a way to run a railway!

Les
Old 12 August 2004, 05:37 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

In my humble opinion the allies pulled far to many troops out after the "war" ended. I think there was approx 180K which then dropped to 105K. They should have all remained as retaliation (sp?) was bound to happen.

It is not a question of what is right and what is wrong now. What's done is done and the allies need to sort it out with more troops on the ground.

I do tend to agree, in such countries as Afganhistan (SP?) and Iraq, where the "gun" rules the land as opposed to the "law", they do need to do something extreme to iradicate the common use of guns. If you go out of the major towns in both countries (not that I have been there, but would imagine..) you are not going to see police or the army fighting crime so every ****** owns an AK47.....

Bush certainly will not send any more troops there, not with the elections coming up.

They need to do something to establish law and order.
Old 13 August 2004, 08:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have to say that it is still a matter of what was right or wrong in the beginning of all this. If only to prevent such a gross error happening again.

Les
Old 13 August 2004, 09:01 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Leslie,
Of course we should learn from our mistakes (though we rarely seem to!), but what has been done cannot be undone, so the only important issue now is how to handle Iraq. The issue of WMD and the rights and wrongs of the war are irrelevant to the present situation.

It's a bit of a mess really.

Geezer
Old 13 August 2004, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ok Geezer, but my point was that although it has been done it does not mean that those who did it should not still have to face up to the penalties for those gross errors and misleading us all into the bargain.

Les
Old 13 August 2004, 04:09 PM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

No way is Iraq the new Vietnam. The Iraq conflict is different in so many ways.

On average 4833 servicemen died in Vietnam per year, as opposed 800 dead servicemen so far in 1 year and a half since the war ended.

Things are going to get worse before they get better. Most people see the Iraq through the UK media's eyes which is heavily biased against the war. When was the last time the news showed that the coalition is doing something positive to help the Iraqi people.

Only a MUPPET like Sadr would try and take on the US with convential urban warfare in Najaf.
Old 13 August 2004, 04:15 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
In my humble opinion the allies pulled far to many troops out after the "war" ended. I think there was approx 180K which then dropped to 105K. They should have all remained as retaliation (sp?) was bound to happen.
I'm glad you weren't in charge, or I'd still be there...
Old 13 August 2004, 04:19 PM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

Jerome what part of the armed forces are you in?
Old 13 August 2004, 04:30 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by day tripper
Jerome what part of the armed forces are you in?
I was in the Territorial Army until June last year. Royal Engineers to be precise. I was mobilised and sent to Iraq in March and came back in June.
Old 13 August 2004, 08:22 PM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

I had an interview with the Royal Engineers (TA) a month before Gulf War 2.

Looks like it was a good job I didnt go.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:21 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

Vietnam was nothing to what this could potentially end up as If the Muslim community was to answer this Jihad thing that Mocktader Al Sadder guy keeps asking for ,then IMHO we are all screwed

Grant
Old 13 August 2004, 09:41 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

hahaha mate u crack me up

sti-spec
---------
Mocktader Al Sadder
---------

that was so funny its muqtada al sadr haha mock tader al sadder