Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Antiworld 07/08/2004

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2004, 06:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Antiworld 07/08/2004

Antiworld has been holding its "International Indoor Festival" for a year now. Consistant outings at London's SEOne have proved hugely popular and with regular sell out parties throughout the tail end of 2003 and all the way through 2004, meant common sense dictated that the event's birthday should be celebrated in Antiworld's own inimitable style.
"Style" is open to interpretation though, but I think a 5 room, 17 hour rave at the same venue, drawing only the best from the planet's finest Techno, Psytrance, Trance and Hard Dance DJs, Plus a 5 hour set from Chris Liberator at the afterparty (Hosted in the same venue, btw) just about covers all the bases. If nothing else it was another opportunity to experience my new found enthusiasm for Psy Trance.
So, after stocking up on Energy Drinks to keep me going, I made my way to the venue. After negotiating the entrance, I was simply waved through by security (Nice one lads) and handed over my ticket to get in. The massive bloke with a preponderance of piercings even found me a couple of flyers after I asked him, this meant I had something to hang on my wall at the end ofthe night. Sorted.
Handily, the first arena I came across was the Psytrance room. It was already packed and the first DJ, Metaphase was keeping the crowd occupied with a cracking set. I have been getting into Psytrance for quite some time now and this was a perfect way to start off the evening. In no time at all the familiar feeling I get when I rave to psytrance were coming back to me. This is not the same as Hardcore Raving. There is no thundering rush of euphoria down my spine as my favourite tune breaks down at 160bpm. No, this is more subtle and can take a number of hours to achieve. However, its very much worth the wait. First of all time looses its way, then it disapears altogether. Then my mind starts to disconnect from my body. I'm no longer moving, rather my body is moving of its own accord. The music becomes more profound and apparant in its construction. The tinest change as the music progresses sounds sublime and the journey it takes you on within your mind is exciting as it is insightful. Finally I begin thinking the deepest and most contemplative thoughts, all of which are a total blur now, but at the time are unforgettable. This is the reason I like Psytrance, no other music can do that to me. Not even Hardcore.
I could have stayed in there all night, but the rest of the rave was calling to me. Reluctantly I snapped out of the dreamworld I had created around me and went for a walkabout round the venue. Luckily, I wandered into the main arena just when German superstar A*S*Y*S took to the decks. I didn't know what to expect, but what he came up with was astounding. Similar to LFO's live performance at Tribal last year, his set consisted of tunes that were firmly rooted in the old style of "Rave" tunes. Amazing Synthy riffs were combined with complicated acid lines and wicked piano chords to make a set that I danced all the way through. I was getting seriously overexcited as its not often that I get to hear that sort of music, let alone dance to it. Finally, he made one concession to the crowd and dropped in a nice vocal, "Feel that motherfukin' BASS!" tore out the speakers again and again. Top set that one, I want to see that guy again.

Next up were Lab 4 and not only were they performing in the main arena, but they were due to put on a live PA. That would explain the prepondernace of scaffolding on the main stage. I had never seen Lab 4 play out before, but unfortunatly,I went away dissapionted on this occasion. It might have been something to do with the Hard act they had to follow from the previous set, it might have been the way EVERYONE wanted to get to the front and thought the best way to get there was barging past me. It might even have been the 6 deep crowd of Chinstrokers surrounding them as they worked. Whatever the reason, it just wasnt happening on this occasion. The music failed to move me. I went in search of something that would.

A brief walk brought me to the Superfish arena. It was hosting their Birthday party and not only were the BPM's noticably higher in here, but there was the benefit of another live PA to arrest my attention. I have never seen Captian Tinrib before either, TBH, I didnt really know anything about them,but the music drew me to the front of the arena to see what was happening. I was confronted by a two guys, one on a keyboard and the other on a drumkit. The high energy tunes they were pumping out were complimented by the live percussion and the bloke on the keyboard dropping some live, if incomprehensible, vocals. I couldn't name the tunes, but the music itself was dancable and not a little energetic. It was more than I needed and I decided to spend some time here, being entertained by the two on stage.
Speaking of entertainment, the next DJ saw me sticking around and being entertained for another hour. The reason I would be entertained is because the veteran of the Hardstyle, Mark EG was up next and you know as well as I do that he does everything possible to get the crowd hyped. This set was no exception. Even though it was a Hard house arena, Mark tore up the rule book and played a Hardstyle and hardtrance set. Usually I am not a Hardstyle fan, but on this occasion I was won over by top tune selection and of course, madcap antics on stage. The Tunes were the pick of the bunch though, with a cheeky rip of Eminem's slating of Moby, "Nobody listens to Techno" with Mark screaming the words out as the tune repeated them over and over. Best of all though, was the tangent he threw us down with the inclusion of Moby's classic "GO". The place went bananas when that came in and I was right behind them. Easily the best individual set of the night. Highly enjoyable and, as usual, entertaining to the last tune.
By this time I was ready to return to the Psytrance room. The music had been calling me all night and I was about to get another dose of what I had started earlier on in the evening.
All in I danced for about 3 hours non stop in the Psygate room. Throughout Alien Project's, Tristan's, and Xerox and Illumination's set I was going for it non stop. My first experience with Metaphase had prepared me and I got into the zone very quickly indeed and once I was there, I weren't moving for anyone. All the way through I was loving the music, even though I can only recall one tune. It was a strange one at that. I weren't exactly in the best of conditions to recall, but it sounded like the riff in CLSM's "Transmission to Mars" tune. A cheeky Psytrance remix? Well maybe, but I am hardly an authority on these things. Sounded nice though. In fact the whole three hours sounded nice, even though it was 6am before I knew it. As I was filling up wy waterbottle I wandered past the techno room. "I wonder" I said out loud and made my way inside. I was curious to see if three hours of musical horizon expansion would rub off and I would be able to get on with Teknoworld's offerings for once. Lawrie Immersion, AKA "Pounding grooves" was on for the last set and OMG it was amazing. As if three hours of profound thought to amazing psytrance wasn't good enough, then an hour of live Techno from this guy was the icing on the cake. For the first time, the music spoke to me and moved me in a way I have never experienced before. It was 6am,I was exhausted, tired and soaked in my own sweat, but could I stop dancing? No way. It was the perfect way to end the night. I left at just before 7am, to get my first train home, but the evening's memories will go with me for a very long time. You have got to give these parties a go. They are a very different, but no less intense experience than any Hardcore rave you care to name.

Things I liked:

Psytrance room - I cant wait to listen to some more psytrance at a rave. The only time I wanted to leave was when I was thirsty and then I was straight back on the dancefloor once I had sorted some water out.

Techno room - At last! I managed to get into the techno room at Antiworld. Three times I have tried now and it was third time lucky for me. I had to wait all night for it to happen, but when it did, I was aving it till I could barely stand.

Captain Tinrib - Never seen them before, it was an interesting experience. Good as well.

Things i liked less:

Psytrance production - At all previous Antiworld's I have been to, a laser has been part of the psytrance arena. This time there was none and I felt it was lacking without one. If that werent enough, the Superfish arena had three, including a multicoloured one. Share and share alike lads!

Locks - No locks at all on the toilet doors. Not that I saw anyways.

"Hard Dance" ravers - Some of them were so rude it was unbelievable. Want to get past? Dont wait till there is a gap, just barge through regardless of who you bump into. And while we're about it dont worry about apologising either.

Me turning up late and missing Kev Energy - Doh!

Despite the bad points (and I was surprised how much they brought my evening down), the "International Indoor Festival" was thoroughly enjoyable party. The niggles that brought my night down paled in comparison to how good the music was. Mark EG smacked it, pretty much everyone who played out in the psytrance room did it as well. Finally,the Teknoworld arena was notable for the fact that I managed to get into the music and finish off my night in the best possible way. Top night out, I can't wait to go to another one. I'll be the one at the front of the Psytrance arena going for it all night. See you there.
astraboy.

Shouts to: Paul Zykotik, Grob, Rainbow Drops, Tenz, Kev Energy, Mark EG (Saaafe!) and all the people I spoke to during the night.
Old 11 August 2004, 07:08 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

are u on drugs good to see some one still ravin hard i burnt out many years ago. (well two) and aint been since. what id give to feel the bass mashing up my insides one more time.
Old 11 August 2004, 07:56 PM
yoza
BANNED

I hate raves.

But I enjoyed reading your script, simply because you have a passion for what your writing.

Keep it up.
Old 12 August 2004, 10:51 AM
Rags
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

agree with Yoza, never been able to get into the whole rave "zone"

but Astraboy you sure do write with some feelings, this is the third or fourth review ive read of yours, excellent read almost makes me want to go and try and find my rave head!!!... keep it up.
Old 12 August 2004, 11:11 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Agreed - fair play to you AB
Old 12 August 2004, 04:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Nice one lads, its nice to know I get it right once in a while
Cheers,
astraboy.