Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Jumping a red light" to make way for an ambulance etc

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2004, 09:38 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Jumping a red light" to make way for an ambulance etc

Does anybody know where you stand in this situation?

A friend was caught recently by a traffic light camera because he moved forward and across the stop line to move out of the way for an ambulance, all sirens blasting.

He contested the ticket, and demanded to see the picture. Unfortunately for him, the photo didn't show the ambulance, as it was obviously too far behind him when the camera was activated. So the Police said he had to pay, and take the 3 points.

But is he really guilty of an offence? I can only assume that there must also be a picture of the ambulance jumping the light, but he's worried that if he loses any court case it will end up costing him more in fines etc. Anybody ever been through this process? Cheers.
Old 10 August 2004, 09:42 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I would contest it! This is terrible! As if he's ever going to move through a red traffic light again because of an ambulance! Lives could be lost......

The attitude of the police is disgusting and they wonder why people think they're only in it for the money. Surely there must be something he could do?
Old 10 August 2004, 09:42 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Does anybody know where you stand in this situation?

A friend was caught recently by a traffic light camera because he moved forward and across the stop line to move out of the way for an ambulance, all sirens blasting.

He contested the ticket, and demanded to see the picture. Unfortunately for him, the photo didn't show the ambulance, as it was obviously too far behind him when the camera was activated. So the Police said he had to pay, and take the 3 points.

But is he really guilty of an offence? I can only assume that there must also be a picture of the ambulance jumping the light, but he's worried that if he loses any court case it will end up costing him more in fines etc. Anybody ever been through this process? Cheers.
There was a thread abou this not too long ago. He is permitted to go through the red light to make way for the Ambulance. He should definately not have to pay the fine and take the points.
Old 10 August 2004, 09:49 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

This is the thread...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=344559

Oh and you aren't allowed to go through a red light for any reason unfortunately.
Old 10 August 2004, 09:58 AM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Is that true for temporary lights?
Old 10 August 2004, 09:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link.

Blimey, what a predicament. Risk somebody not getting prompt medical attention, or be the fall guy to take the fine and points. I can see whay the Police have to say "no circumstances", as everybody would claim there was an ambulance trying to get through, but jeez, you'd have thought there would be *some* way to let off the genuine "offenders"..
Old 10 August 2004, 10:02 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
This is the thread...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=344559

Oh and you aren't allowed to go through a red light for any reason unfortunately.
Hmm, didn't remember that thread very well then did I ?

Still think it's worth having a go though.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:07 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

If the light was red when he went through it, it stands to reason as you stated above it was red when the ambluance went through it. So there would be a pic of the ambulance to back up his case.

If there genuinely was an ambulance I would definitely fight it all the way, its time to instruct a solicitor asap.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:12 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But if the Police aren't obliged to *prove* an ambulance was involved, then where's the upside in contesting it?

This is his dilemma - whether to pay legal costs for something which a judge will probably just quote the "no circumstances" law. Seems mad to me - who wouldn't move out of the way?
Old 10 August 2004, 10:13 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

He should be able to get off this, but the Police will no doubt argue the case.

I mean they were sending out fines to ambulances caught on emergancy calls until recently FFS

Money grabbing scum
Old 10 August 2004, 10:18 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You know what to do come the next election....
Old 10 August 2004, 10:20 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

LOL UB - never miss an opportunity to blame Labour!! I *like* the theory, but somehow i doubt the Tories would change this particular legal anomoly...
Old 10 August 2004, 10:30 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

LOL UB - never miss an opportunity to blame Labour!! I *like* the theory, but somehow i doubt the Tories would change this particular legal anomoly...
Who else is to blame for the proliferation of cameras, and policies that have turned the Police into a mere revenue collection agency?

UB
Old 10 August 2004, 10:31 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Well yes, quite. Whether the Conservatives would have resisted the opportunity is a moot point though...
Old 10 August 2004, 10:38 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Money grabbing scum
And proud

Tel

If he has a genuine belief he is not guilty of the offence then he should request a court hearing. The court shouldn't punish him more seriously just because he wants to put his side of the story across.

If he knows which camera it was on which road then they will be able to trace which camera department dealt with it. They would keep a record of all camera tickets etc.

UB

I know who I'm going to vote and it certainly isn't Labour

I know all politicians are lying cheating bar-stweards but this guy seems to have more common sense.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3549392.stm
Old 10 August 2004, 10:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

First thing is to contact the ambulance service to get them to confirm that they had an ambulance on call at the traffic lights at that time. The crew might even remember that he made way to let them past.

Then write to the Chief Constable with that evidence and ask him if he personally would block the ambulance in similar circumstances. If that is no good then write to the local papers and the nationals with all the evidence and the Chief Constable's reply!

Les
Old 10 August 2004, 10:39 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

He should be able the speak to Ambulance dispatch, who I'm sure have logs of where their units were, and what route they took on a call? This could then be used to show that said ambulance went through those lights at approximately the same time as your friend got caught?

Worth a quick phone call to find out if such info is available?

J
Old 10 August 2004, 10:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nathan/Les, yes, that is the common sense approach of course, but unfortunately also a time-consuming one, and potentially a costly one. From the responses on this and the other thread it doesn't sound as if anyone on here has pursued such a case, which eould be useful in determining what to advise him. If it was *me*, i'd do whatever i could, but some people aren't so willing to get involved unless they're pretty sure of the outcome...
Old 10 August 2004, 10:48 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

I don't know of any stated court cases which would back up either side I'm afraid. I'm at work tonight so I'll trawl through the legal database and see if I can find anything.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:54 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nathan.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:56 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

for future reference, you cross the pressure pads which control the camera at less than 5 mph and the camera doesnt flash. I was in exactly the same situation a few months back and I crawled across the line to get out of the way. Camera didnt flash, ambulance flew by, everybodies happy.
Hope things work out for you though, it really is shocking what they will try and pin on you for the sake of 60 quid.
astraboy.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:58 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the confirmation, Lisa.

So, there you are, at the front of a queue, ambulance behind you, blaring sirens, flashing lights, the lot. Lots of cars all around you, all stationary, in anticipation of the ambulance threading a path through.

And you have to SIT there, just to avoid being prosecuted??

UTTER MADNESS!!!

Last edited by TelBoy; 10 August 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10 August 2004, 11:02 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Thanks for the confirmation, Lynne.

So, there you are, at the front of a queue, ambulance behind you, blaring sirens, flashing lights, the lot. Lots of cars all around you, all stationary, in anticipation of the ambulance threading a path through.

And you have to SIT there, just to avoid being prosecuted??

UTTER MADNESS!!!
Anyway, in that situation, the Ambulance really ought to switch the sirens off so as not to panic other road users (just my personal opinion and what I do) but it's not what everyone does!!!

Last edited by red_dog104; 10 August 2004 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Cause Tel saw the error of his ways by correcting the wrong name :)
Old 10 August 2004, 11:02 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Blair's Britain. Good innit?

UB
Old 10 August 2004, 11:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I would move out the way (and risk fine etc.). Just imagine if you didn't and someone died because the ambulance was 60 seconds too late. The authorities SHOULD have the common sense and decency to check records and withdraw the fine but we all know that doesn't always happen. This highlights the major flaw with 'automated policing' in that they can't show discretion. I bet if there was no camera but a policecar nearby they wouldn't pull you over, most would probably give you a thumbs up for good driving.
Old 10 August 2004, 11:39 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

I bet if there was no camera but a policecar nearby they wouldn't pull you over
Absolutely, I always wave people through the red light when I'm trying to get through the traffic in a hurry. 60 Seconds can and does make the difference between life and death, been there proved that.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Blair's Britain. Good innit?

UB
So Blair is responsible for this yet it was more than likely a law before he came into office

Seems a pretty pointless quote yet again by lets blame blair ar5eholes

If the light was red when he went through it, it stands to reason as you stated above it was red when the ambluance went through it. So there would be a pic of the ambulance to back up his case.
Not necessarily, the lights could have turned green after the motorist moved out of the way.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:21 PM
JDM
BANNED

Having read this I will now not be moving at red lights for an ambulance, fire engine or police car. Let's hope someone doesn't suffer because of this but there is no way I'm taking points for this. The law is an ***.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:36 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by anc-sti
Is that true for temporary lights?
Yes, it does. It's an urban myth that the Road Traffic Act doesn't apply when temporary lights are installed.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

So Blair is responsible for this yet it was more than likely a law before he came into office

Seems a pretty pointless quote yet again by lets blame blair ar5eholes
No need to be rude. Sums up the mentality of dimwitted fools such as yourself nicely though.

Quick Reply: "Jumping a red light" to make way for an ambulance etc