Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

security worry - how to beef up?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 09:16 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security worry - how to beef up?

Just noticed that both sensors on my front lights have been seeming tampered with. The big halogen on the garage has been tilted away from the house, and the porch 'general' light has had its IR sensor turned completely around to face the house.

Its also possible that the latch to my gate was 'attacked', as its slightly bent against the gate.

No access gained, but a possible attempt. So, what are the best and most cost effective suggestions for beefing things up?

I'm definitely going to relocate the halogen up much higher out of reach, and make sure I have plenty of illumination around the gate/front of house area. Probably also a halogen pointing down the path at the side of the house, so that anyone at the gate would be lit up very well.

Would that most likely be enough to deter? Or should I put in some kind of CCTV? Don't want to spend loads though, but I do have a spare VCR lying about.

Thanks for any advice
Old 03 August 2004, 09:26 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Trouble is, with an ordinary VCR, you're only going to get 8 hours max on longplay on a 4 hour tape. You'll get cheesed off changing the tape every 8 hours within the week!

You need a proper timelapse VCR - prob about £200.

Alternatively, I have a PC based CCTV setup - can view it over the web etc. Have a 160Gb drive in the PC (dedicated & hidden) and uses about 1Gb/day for 2 cameras (on motion detect) - so can go for about 5 months before it has to start deleting footage from 5 months ago to free up new space (which it does automatically). 2 x Sony colour 480 line cameras with 30m night vision.

www.rfconcepts.co.uk and look for the Geovision system.
Old 03 August 2004, 09:35 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The other problem is that to give good, sound advice, we need to know the layout of the property to be protected and all the current steps, both physical and practical. Maybe not a good idea to post them all here

Suggestion is to buy an old banger and park it in such a way that "easy" access is denied to the property. It's more effort and more time to move it before attempting to take the P&J. Make it harder by maybe chaining the wreck to a ground anchor.
Old 03 August 2004, 09:46 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Well the wife's Clio isn't all that hot, but not practical to obstruct as then I can't get out every day.

No real steps taken. Car is driveway parked. I've avoided obstruction as if they get into the house and the keys, I don't want to put other barriers in the way (otherwise I'd have looked into a sunken post type solution)

Just a couple of IR lamps at the mo.
Old 03 August 2004, 09:46 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Big dog?

Just got mine, although he is just a pup, he will be a big dog soon, with big bark and nice sharp teeth.....
Old 03 August 2004, 09:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Gravel the drive? It's one of the most effective things you can do. There is no easy or quiet way to move across it. Don't know whether your property would allow this, but it is worth considering.

Chris
Old 03 August 2004, 10:02 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I am just about to relay the driveway, so gravel is possible, although I'd prefer blockwork.

Certainly worth thinking about...

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2004, 10:09 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

CCTV is way to go....always nice to see WHO/WHAT happened if you suspect foul play.

Dedicated new PC (2.5GHz Athlon, 512Mb ram, 160Gb HD) and Geovision system & 2 480 line colour nightvision (0 lux) cameras can be done for under £700. Well worth it.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:15 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

A few large dogs work for me! Mine's lovely, good family hound.If he's playing he'll go for your arm.

When he means business he goes for the throat.
Old 03 August 2004, 11:17 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Elephant tablets are the way to go. They are a very effective cure for elephants which, as we all know, are a tricky problem at times. They also work well for other unsavoury elements in society:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/700ne.html