Old 02 August 2004, 02:00 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I take it this is a scam?

Got this email which looks like it's from ebay:

Fraud Alert ID : 00626654

Dear eBay member,

You have received this email because you or someone else had used your identity to make false purchases on eBay. For security reasons, we are required to open an investigation on this matter. We treat online fraud seriously and all cases which cannot be resolved between eBay and the other involved party are forwarded for further investigations to the proper authorities. To speed up this process, you are required to verify your personal information against the eBay account registration data we have on file by following the link below.

http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654

Please save this fraud alert id for your reference.

When submitting sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and off-line. When our registration/order form asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card number and/or social security number), that information is encrypted and is protected with the best encryption software in the industry - SSL.

Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, we will assume this account is fraudulent and it will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

We apreciate your support and understading, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification mail sent to this address and can not be replied to.

I do take it this is a ruse to get my details? The link takes me to login - which I did and then to a page which asks for credit card details etc. I am not stupid enough to put these in as it also asks for my PIN number!!! But I was stupid enough to put my username and password in.... I will be changing my password ASAP.
Old 02 August 2004, 02:02 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

The way to be sure is type www.ebay.co.uk into your browser and update the info. Don't use their link. If you DO click on their link, you will find it doesn't go to that address, it will most likely go to an ip address, i.e. 123.456.789.123
Old 02 August 2004, 02:02 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a scam
Old 02 August 2004, 02:03 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Is the page it takes you to actually a .ebay.com address or is it somewhere else? Right click on the login page and choose properties and have a look at the Address: field (to see where the actual page is hosted)
Old 02 August 2004, 02:04 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Well, I've changed my password now. Hopefully that will be the end of it, and yes, it did go to just an IP address.

Can I report it?
Old 02 August 2004, 02:04 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Why don't you send an email to E-bay and ask them if it's real?
Old 02 August 2004, 04:04 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

yes thats fake
i had thesame
I forwarded it on to: spoof@ebay.co.uk, and they confirmed it was not a genuine one.
Convincing page tho!

What made me sure it was fake, was i was currently in the middle of listing a box full of items, yet it said my account had been hijacked, despite the fact i was using it at the time

Change your password asap!!!!

Last edited by Freak; 02 August 2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02 August 2004, 06:25 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Ebay will never mail you as "Dear member" or "Dear e-bay user" or whatever. They will always use your name.

Useful thing to remember

SB
Old 02 August 2004, 07:41 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

i regularly get these all the time never use links in emails just log in using the correct address

I have at the moment got a suspended paypal account as someone tried to hack that sods
Old 02 August 2004, 07:50 PM
oak
Scooby Regular

Ebay will never mail you as "Dear member" or "Dear e-bay user" or whatever. They will always use your name.

Useful thing to remember

SB
nice one,

scoobywagon, how did you find out about them getting into your paypal account did you follow a link or did it happen anyway?
Old 02 August 2004, 08:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I've had three of them ni the space of a week, this is my rely to one of them

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=348973
Old 02 August 2004, 09:53 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oak
nice one,

scoobywagon, how did you find out about them getting into your paypal account did you follow a link or did it happen anyway?
No i was getting emails saying to follow a link which was a real link to paypal as it was a real email from paypal but because they had tried to insert my password after so many times it automatically blocks my account! i called them and they said to me that i had accessed my paypal account at certain times and i know full well that i hadn't even been in the house at that point! :suspiciou