Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Separate Beds

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 07:20 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separate Beds

I got a new bed 4 years ago, and gave my old one to a mate for his spare room. He's now doing the spare room up for his 3rd child (!!!) and asked if I wanted my old bed back for my spare room.

I said I did. The reason is our lass breathes very heavily when she's asleep. She can fall asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed, but it always takes me at least 1 hour. For some reason when my head hits the pillow, my mind starts racing, about work, money, doing the house up, my next mod on the car , all sorts of stuff. I've started sleeping on the settee downstairs some nights because of this, where I fall asleep within 10 minutes cos I'm lying in silence.

With her heavy breathing next to me, it makes it worse, so I was over the moon when I was getting my old bed back (oh, the memories!!! ).

She's not happy cos I've said any night I can't get to sleep I'm going straight in there. She thinks we might be heading down the toilet, which is not the case. I know for a fact my mother often goes in the spare bed due to my fatha's snoring, and her mother does the same thro her dad's snoring.

I think she's over reacting, after all, no sleep or not, I'll still be in the same bed as her when I'm feeling a bit frisky

Your thoughts??

Andy
Old 31 July 2004, 07:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Mmmm. That is a difficult one. It does actually turn the bed from being a place to feel confortable with each other and share closeness to somewhere where you just have sex.

Steve.
Old 31 July 2004, 07:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

SLEEPING PILS OR NEW WIFE ....NEXT ...
Old 31 July 2004, 07:31 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem, I just wear earplugs

I could snore like a pneumatic drill and not wake my missus up though lol
Old 31 July 2004, 07:33 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

my mum&dad have had separate rooms for about the last 20 yrs because he snores like a bull seal in mating season - my cousin who is 33, slept in a separate bed than his now wife within about 2 months of moving in together - he's another bull seal - point is they are all as happy as larry with it, no problem, probly because all parties are cool about it and sleeping properly - no grumpies .
Old 31 July 2004, 07:34 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Mmmm. That is a difficult one. It does actually turn the bed from being a place to feel confortable with each other and share closeness to somewhere where you just have sex.

Steve.
It's not going to be every night, only when it gets too much to bear. Some nights I'm so tired I go to sleep no problem, but it seems to bother me more if I'm getting transferred to a different site the next morning, or I know I'm going to have a bit argument with someone at work about things that have been annoying me previously.

Things race thro my mind all the time, but as soon as I'm alone, I drop off no bother, no matter what the problems are in my head.

Andy.
Old 31 July 2004, 08:25 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem, Peter even had an op to try and cure the snoring, but it did come back eventually...........I also wish Peter could see it from my point of view as I love my sleep and would be quite happy with separate beds, but he is having none of it.

To cure the problem I go to bed about half an hour before he does, that way I am usually asleep before he is....if not then we play bedroom olympics

Joan.
Old 31 July 2004, 09:16 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Just FYI,

Causes of snoring can often be alcohol before bedtime, or someone that is overweight.

By cutting down on booze, and exercising/losing weight, you reduce your snoring level in many cases. Also, exercising will tire you out a bit more, and make you get to sleep quicker (stress reliever).

Don't know if ANY of the above applies to you, but thought I'd add it in anyway
Old 31 July 2004, 09:25 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Causes of snoring can often be alcohol before bedtime, or someone that is overweight.
At least one, sometimes both apply to my situation.

But, it's not so much her snoring, it's just heavy breathing. I know the snoring happens, but I usually hear it later in the night if I wake up for drink of water. Funny how I can get straight back to sleep then, no matter what noises she's making.

And once I'm asleep, nothing can wake me. The house alarm has gone off 4 times in 18 months (the outside box is right next to our window) and I've never heard it. The bairn has woke up screaming countless times and I've never flinched (she says I just ignore it, but honestly, I don't). I'm just dead to the world.

I find it strange it takes me ages to get to sleep (sometimes until after 3) but once I'm out, I'm like a corpse.

Andy.
Old 31 July 2004, 09:29 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

No, not in my case.....Peter had some cartilidge growing across his nasal thingy at the back and made it difficult to breathe properly, he had this scraped away but it grew back again over the next couple of years. He can have it done again but due to the complications he had I said no as it was pretty horrific after the op

Joan.
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Well, you could go to bed before her? She could start to sleep in the spare room and then come to join you later in the night once you have fallen asleep?

Steve.
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Go and buy a fan heater. Plug it in and switch it on cold all night.

Makes that nice white noise kind of sound and sends you nicely off to sleep, no matter how much grunting and snorting the missus does.

Works a treat.

Cheers

Ian
Old 31 July 2004, 09:37 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Well, you could go to bed before her? She could start to sleep in the spare room and then come to join you later in the night once you have fallen asleep?

Steve.
She watches Big Brother then turns the TV off then is asleep 5 minutes later (I wish I could fall asleep that quick, I should let her handle the house finances, then she'd be awake half the night, and I might drop straight off, lol). I can't go to bed that soon unless I'm totally done in. Half 11 is about the norm for me.

When BB is not on, she's usually asleep by 10.15 cos she always gets up for the bairn, and he's awake at 6 every morning (little swine (and I never hear him)).

I don't think there's any other solution than me going to bed as normal, and if I'm still awake at half 12, go in the spare bed. Then we all win, or at least I do, lol.

Andy.
Old 31 July 2004, 10:37 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Not taking the mick but has your wife thought of hypnotherapy ? Mother in law is a practising hypnotherapist and she has made my wifes hay fever miles better with a couple of sittings. Also did hypno on her partner which meant he could have a local anaesthetic not a general one when he needed an operation on his back.

Dave