Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Speed Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 06:52 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Speed Cameras

If I was speeding towards a Mobile Speed Camera (in the back of a transit facing me on opposite side of the road half behind a hedge ) would I see a flash?

Was leaving my house on the way to work this morning and there's been loads of these on my estate. Was travelling about 35-37 (in a 30 ) although I reckon my speedo is out by a couple of mph I didn't see the van till about 50yrds away and by the time I got close I was doing 30.

Anyway as I didn't see any flash does that mean I wasn't speeding/caught? I know the limit cameras usually work at is something like the speed limit (30mph) + 10% (3mph) + 1/2mph (=34/35mph)

Don't want to spoil my clean licence my insurance costs enough as it is.......
Old 29 July 2004, 06:59 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The mobile ones often do not use a flash and they may use video technology to record your number, so they are "filming" all the time. With a van it would be very unlikely that you would see a flash.

You might get lucky at that speed but many of the so called partnerships are prosecuting people for speeds closer and closer to the actual limit. The 10% +2 thing is just a guideline and due to the lack of public protest most of them consider themselves above paying any attention to simple guidelines. Remember this is a cash raising scheme to get at your money.

There are still lots of options for you should you get an NIP, there is a test case due about 9th of August to see how UK courts react to the argument that the European Courts have already ruled the NIP illegal for example. So, if you do get an NIP there are perfectly reasonable grounds on which to mount a defence. The unsigned route may be, basically, closed but it is certainly worth thinking about fighting it in other ways as you are doing your bit not only for yourself but also for society in general.

Last edited by hedgehog; 29 July 2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 29 July 2004, 07:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

How many people get caught speeding? Many of us. If so many people break the law then it cant be right surely? We elect the government to represent us....I say to the scameras!

If most people who get NIPs were to contest it then the whole system would collapse because the system/courts wouldnt be able to handle that qty of cases!