Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone else of to Farnborough this weekend or been before?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2004, 11:25 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone else of to Farnborough this weekend or been before?

I'm off to the Farnborough airshow tomorrow & I've never been before. Is anyone else going this weekend or has anyone ever been there before?

What's the traffic like getting there and are there any secret ways to avoid the traffic if it's bad please?

Thanks

Paul
Old 23 July 2004, 11:34 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come in from the A3/M3 along the Blackwater Valley relief road (A331 or something like that) and take a left towards Aldershot from here....

Keep on going straight into Aldershot town centre....past the football ground and over the roundabout at the Pug garage.

Get to the next roundabout and go straight over (but to the right slightly) past Burger King and some form of hand car wash. Up the road and through some lights the road bends around to the left (On the left handside is Aldershot Rozzer shop-The nick) and you get to a roundabout at Sainsburys. Take the second right (third is into sainsburys) and up to the next roundabout then up to the next roundabout.

Take the third exit (1st being towards Farnham, second towards fleet/tweasledown) and then stay on this road the whole way down (BEWARE OF CAMERA VANS EVERYWHERE THIS WEEKEND IN FARNBOROUGH) Get to the next roundabout and they should be letting general public in at the Queens Hotel (on the roundabout) like they were last year. You will know you are there as every copper will be wearing funny hats and spraying cars with supersoakers and generally having a laugh because the Camera van that nicked you is paying their sergeants overtime rate for the day

Bring a picnic...food is a)pants b)expensive c)cooked by idiots

Bring drinks..expensive

Watch out for chavs in the carparks. Leave nothing in your car.

Other than that, its a good day out!
Old 23 July 2004, 11:40 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I'm off to the Farnborough airshow tomorrow & I've never been before. Is anyone else going this weekend or has anyone ever been there before?

What's the traffic like getting there and are there any secret ways to avoid the traffic if it's bad please?

Thanks

Paul
Paul

I live 3 miles away, traffic on public days can be horrendous. I suggest you drive to Reading. Get the Gatwick Express to North Camp, and an airshow bus from there to the show, 2 miles away. Wear some comfy shoes (lots of walking) and bring a fold up chair if you can. Good camera or binoculars helps as well. Oh, and watch out speed speed camera vans. The local coppers have decided the extra 5 zillion vehicles in the area are ripe for some revenue raising, seen 2 all this week, at various points around Farnborough.

Enjoy the show!

PS, Did anyone hear about the B52 low fly past on Tuesday? It didnt happen, the pilot buzzed Blackbushe instead, 6 miles north of Farnborough.

Friendly fire anyone?
Old 23 July 2004, 11:40 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Thanks I've printed out the directions

I'll go shopping tonight then for food, I wasn't sure whether to take food or not because often these shows are very expensive

Think I'll go home at dinner and get my laser attachment for my road angel because I left it in my other car

Do cars get broken into there then? If so would you take your own car or the company hire car?
Old 23 July 2004, 11:56 AM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

It is a great day out, if you have sensitive ears kinda thing I recommend ear plugs last time I went, I had ringing in my ears for a good while after!!! awesome noise though!!!
If your out in the Sun for a long time take some sun screen or protection!!
Old 23 July 2004, 12:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never been to an airshow before so it's all new to me
Old 23 July 2004, 12:20 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Used to go every year when I could get trade day tickets

Last air show I went to was where the Mig 27's collided in mid air
Old 23 July 2004, 12:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian_sadler
Used to go every year when I could get trade day tickets

Last air show I went to was where the Mig 27's collided in mid air
where and when was that?
Old 23 July 2004, 12:24 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just a tip, park in the council offices (50p all day) and walk up to the A or B gates, (about 300yds). Saves parking with all the other numpties and having to get on the shuttle bus.
My Scoob will be there on sunday.

Ian..
Old 23 July 2004, 12:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiMan
Just a tip, park in the council offices (50p all day) and walk up to the A or B gates, (about 300yds). Saves parking with all the other numpties and having to get on the shuttle bus.
My Scoob will be there on sunday.

Ian..
are they easy to find? I don't know the area very well
Old 23 July 2004, 12:28 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

Was a Mig 29 soz. Fairford 93

Old 23 July 2004, 12:30 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Yep, council offices are on the A325 (one with all the speed cameras) which is the main road onto Farnborough from the M3, but you'de have to come off the blackwater valley road at the Camberley exit (by Mc donalds), hang a left at the roundabout and stay on the main road in, the Council will be infront of you just after you go over the next two roundabouts.you can get a map from their web site www.rushmoor.gov.uk.

Ian..
Old 23 July 2004, 12:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
are they easy to find? I don't know the area very well
Come off A331 at North camp/Ash Vale.
Follow signs for airshow.
Get on A325 follow road past BMW garage and Farnboro Tech on your right. Council offices on your left.
Old 23 July 2004, 12:50 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

My office is right next to the airfield so have had the pleasure of watching and hearing (!) all the planes practice this week. The F18 and Eurofighter look particularly impressive!

The police have got a nice little one way in-out route organised (from the A331 Farnborough/North Camp exit) but personally I would go to Mitchett and get access to Farnborough from there (my route into work at present).
Old 23 July 2004, 12:51 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

So, the place will be crawling with Police clocking visiters speeds. Meanwhile the local chavs have a thieving spree praying on punters cars in the carpark.

Say's it all about the governments policing policies.

UB
Old 23 July 2004, 12:52 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

PS, Did anyone hear about the B52 low fly past on Tuesday? It didnt happen, the pilot buzzed Blackbushe instead, 6 miles north of Farnborough.

Friendly fire anyone?
It did make it to the Airshow as I saw it fly over on Tuesday!
Old 23 July 2004, 01:19 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

It was supposed to fly over monday but the pilot got things a little wrong.
I work on the landing flight for the main runway, only 1/2 mile from it, free airshow for me all week
Finally got to see the F-117A Nighthawk stealth attack plane yesterday.
Old 23 July 2004, 01:23 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

not going to Farnborough but im going to the sunderland air show, full day of siting on beach getting pished cant wait
Old 23 July 2004, 01:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Old 23 July 2004, 02:55 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Old 23 July 2004, 03:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I used to live in Farnborough and saw 2 shows whilst I was there.

Avoid driving at all costs. The town is gridlocked virtually the whole day on each day of the show. The speed cameras will be out in force and the F'boro Police are pretty good at hiding the cameras, so be careful (assuming you get the chance to speed).

If you absolutely have to drive, don't even think about parking in a side road. A roommate of mine got a ticket because his car was still registered at his parents house up north, and not in F'boro. As mentioned already, consider parking somewhere else, like Crowthorne, and getting the train to F'boro North. Even Woking would be worth considering and only 10 mins to F'boro Main.

Also, there are plenty of chav infested towns nearby (Brackhell, Alder**** etc), so don't even leave a box of snotrags in the car.
Old 23 July 2004, 04:16 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I used to live in Farnborough and saw 2 shows whilst I was there.

Avoid driving at all costs. The town is gridlocked virtually the whole day on each day of the show. The speed cameras will be out in force and the F'boro Police are pretty good at hiding the cameras, so be careful (assuming you get the chance to speed).

If you absolutely have to drive, don't even think about parking in a side road. A roommate of mine got a ticket because his car was still registered at his parents house up north, and not in F'boro. As mentioned already, consider parking somewhere else, like Crowthorne, and getting the train to F'boro North. Even Woking would be worth considering and only 10 mins to F'boro Main.

Also, there are plenty of chav infested towns nearby (Brackhell, Alder**** etc), so don't even leave a box of snotrags in the car.
I was going to take my car but when I went home at dinner to get the bits for the road angel I picked up my lease car so if it gets broken into I don't really care too much. I'll just make sure my road angel is in my bag with my dinner