Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dodgy commentory by SATNAV

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 10:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy commentory by SATNAV

Right, I have this TOMTOM3 with hp pocket pc h2210.On the way to Oxford from N.Wales, It directed me something weird at one rounabout on A5.It told me to turn inside one village on the left; as if to avoid rounabout,made me go through knock-to-knock damgerous lanes and threw me back out on the main road! Had I gone straight ahead on the roundabout, I would have come on that road anyway.So, I wonder why it told me to go left on the roundabout to add another 2 miles and give me crappy lanes to drive?

On the way back, It was guiding me ok and brought me on certain duel carriageway.But in the middle of the carriageway,I came across some coppers who were directing oncoming trafffic to follow the right lane coz a broken down vehicle was in the left lane.Just before I reached police, my Satnav tells me to "turn around if possible" right in the middle of the duel carriageway ! Was it frightened of the coppers or what?
I carried on (as I did read the map beforehand!) and my Satnav sorted it's bl@@dy self out.But I couldnt quite understand why the f@ck it sometimes does give me the trip round the world? Do you think it needs the info it possesses upgrading? if yes, how do I do so?
I mean I know that Satnav is not exactly foolproof and I always sort my route out by the map reading in advance as a habit but you really dont expect an advanced tech thingy dodging ya!( unless they are comissioned by Optimax to f@ck us aroud !)
Please help !
Old 21 July 2004, 10:12 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

TT3 has told me to turn left on the M11 where there wasnt an exit, I could see the red line going off across the field!
Old 21 July 2004, 10:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

FFS! So are you saying this TT3 is a useless piece of sh!te ?
If so, I shall return it to the shop asap and buy a better one !
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.......................I am so annoyed !

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 July 2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 21 July 2004, 10:33 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its down to the accuracy of the GPS placement.
I reckon that its accurate to about to about 20m when at speed - so if there is a slip road parallel to your motorway then it can get a little confused, especially if the slip road is the planned route but you decide to go straight on
This also happens on the M11 quite often for some reason? Perhaps TT haven't caught up with last years alterations around Stanstead?

Nick
Old 21 July 2004, 10:37 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It does seem to have a 'malicious' mode where it tries to make you crash if you ignore it.

Just try going up the M6 link road if you want to see it really go nuts!

Check your average speed settings- if you have your motorway speed set high it will move heaven and earth to get you on one.

Its a funny system, and is very quirky, but I have to say that it's damn good 99.9% of the time
Old 21 July 2004, 10:41 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

My Sat/Nav's alter ego is affectionately known to the family as "Doris".

She does have some strange habits.

When travelling East to West & coming to the M11 she insists on trying to take me all the way down to the M25 then along a bit due West before scooting me all the way back up either the A1(M) or the M1 to the same level I was at before the detour.She just does not like cross country East - West or vice versa for some reason.

Talking of Stansted,until the new A120 is in the data base Doris thinks i'm driving in the field next to the road.She keeps saying in a stern,matronly voice "Please return to the designated route" - "You naughty naughty boy".

Your short cut off the main road & through the town/village problem happens with "Doris" when I have the route set to "Shortest" rather than "Fastest" in the "route selection" menu.

Do you have a route selection option on your TOMTOM3? If you do,see what it's set on.I tend to switch between the two cos sometimes fastest ends up more miles & less fun.

Doris
Old 21 July 2004, 11:01 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
FFS! So are you saying this TT3 is a useless piece of sh!te ?
If so, I shall return it to the shop asap and buy a better one !
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.......................I am so annoyed !
TT3 is fantastic.

It was a one off error, passing the odd turn off sorted her out no problems.

best pocket PC ive used, have used destinator and another that slips my mind
Old 22 July 2004, 09:17 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

FLAT ERIC -- I suspect your problem is that, like me, you altered the default speeds on the roads. The default for "motorways" is 67 so the first thing I did was change it to 85. The result of this is that it uses motorways for route calculations far in preference to anything else. Set all the speeds back to the defaults and all should be well.

I also suspect the East->West routes from the M11 to the A1 (eg A414 or A120/A507) are classified as fairly minor roads. Certainly the A507 is, even though you can get some decent speeds up along most of it.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:31 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Right, I have this TOMTOM3 with hp pocket pc h2210.On the way to Oxford from N.Wales, It directed me something weird at one rounabout on A5.It told me to turn inside one village on the left; as if to avoid rounabout,made me go through knock-to-knock damgerous lanes and threw me back out on the main road! Had I gone straight ahead on the roundabout, I would have come on that road anyway.So, I wonder why it told me to go left on the roundabout to add another 2 miles and give me crappy lanes to drive?

On the way back, It was guiding me ok and brought me on certain duel carriageway.But in the middle of the carriageway,I came across some coppers who were directing oncoming trafffic to follow the right lane coz a broken down vehicle was in the left lane.Just before I reached police, my Satnav tells me to "turn around if possible" right in the middle of the duel carriageway ! Was it frightened of the coppers or what?
I carried on (as I did read the map beforehand!) and my Satnav sorted it's bl@@dy self out.But I couldnt quite understand why the f@ck it sometimes does give me the trip round the world? Do you think it needs the info it possesses upgrading? if yes, how do I do so?
I mean I know that Satnav is not exactly foolproof and I always sort my route out by the map reading in advance as a habit but you really dont expect an advanced tech thingy dodging ya!( unless they are comissioned by Optimax to f@ck us aroud !)
Please help !
Was that at Nesscliffe by any chance???
Old 22 July 2004, 10:51 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There ARE updates available on the TomTom site - just go to the downloads section and grab 'em
Old 22 July 2004, 11:00 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Turbohot.Just before I reached police, my Satnav tells me to "turn around if possible" right in the middle of the duel carriageway ! Was it frightened of the coppers or what?
[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha Ha!
LoL!
First laugh of the day
Old 22 July 2004, 11:25 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Turbohot - I seem to have the same set-up as you and I do also have the odd quirk including being taken one route to a destination and another (slightly different) on the way back (happened yesterday). I'd say a lot of these errors are caused by road changes etc. - don't forget the whole satnav thing was devised (I think, but await correction) by the Americans and it's appeal (and availability) to the masses is still relatively infantile over here so I dare say the software will become more accurate over time.

However, the 2210 and TT3 does have a few known compatiability issues including freezing up etc. I'd highly suggest downloading the latest software update (free) from TT and performing a soft reboot (push in the tiny button at the back/bottom of your PDA) before each adventure.

All in all it's a really great product and pound for pound it's probably the best value gadget I've ever bought (in terms of how much I actually use it etc. etc.)

One final thing - there are some great PDA forums out there which are really useful if anything really strange happens - I even managed to source a replacement stylus for £4 from a dealer on there (wanted £25 for set of 3 in Tott Crt Road!!)

Cheers,

Russ
Old 22 July 2004, 11:26 AM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

It told me to turn inside one village on the left; as if to avoid rounabout,made me go through knock-to-knock damgerous lanes and threw me back out on the main road!
Perhaps it knows it's been fitted in a Subaru.

After all everyone knows they are capable of quite magical speeds in the twisties
Old 22 July 2004, 12:53 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Take a look at the new Navman PIN http://www.navman.com looks pretty funky and not that expensive.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:44 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Take a look at the new Navman PIN http://www.navman.com looks pretty funky and not that expensive.

Why did you post that? I was going to buy the Tom Tom Go from Amazon but now I've got to consider this one! Decisions, decisions....
Old 22 July 2004, 01:59 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Slightly off topic....

Can you guys have a look at your TT3s and see if you can find Woking in the city list? Incredibly, it's not listed (or doesn't appear to be). Hardly a hamlet, is it?

Cheers
Kav
Old 22 July 2004, 02:16 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Andrew, what is the decision? it is a no brainer as far as I can see, the tom tom thing is a naff shape to start with, it will be ok in the car but thats about it.

The Navman Pin can be used in and out of the car, for example if you go to a city you don't know you could use it whilst walking around, you would have fun carrying that tom tom thing around.

Also the PIN is cheaper, not much but still cheaper, and having used the Navman iCN630 with the 3D software and postcode searching etc it is dead easy to use.

The PIN uses the same software AFAIK.

Oh and it plays MP3s aswell
Old 22 July 2004, 02:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>Was that at Nesscliffe by any chance???
Yes, I reckon TT3 took me into Nesscliffe on all those dodgy bendy lanes
Old 22 July 2004, 02:36 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

New bypass past Nesscliffe opened a few months ago.
Old 22 July 2004, 02:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>Ha Ha Ha!
LoL!
First laugh of the day
andrewdeward, I am pleased it made you laugh but can you believe what it did to me that time ? Would have been great to do a U turn and get arrested!
Old 22 July 2004, 02:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>New bypass past Nesscliffe opened a few months ago.

Humm...may be my Satnav didnt possess that knowledge then !
Dozy bastid Satnav
Old 22 July 2004, 10:25 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Slightly off topic....

Can you guys have a look at your TT3s and see if you can find Woking in the city list? Incredibly, it's not listed (or doesn't appear to be). Hardly a hamlet, is it?

Cheers
Kav
Another seemingly weird quirk - my TT3 doesn't show Woking either.

I had to do a hard reboot a few weeks back after I let the battery go flat and it corrupted the software and after the reboot I found I couldn't find Sevenoaks listed either! I know where Sevenoaks is anyway (not far from where I live - just wanted make sure I wasn't missing a shortcut) so entered a location very close (Riverhead) and after directing me there Sevenoaks then appeared in the list where it still remains....

That said, I entered an address in Redhill yesterday and after driving down lanes and roads I thought were probably leading me nowhere I suddenly emerged yards from the site I was looking for - a really great shortcut and one I wouldn't have found without the kit!

Russ
Old 22 July 2004, 11:09 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
My Sat/Nav's alter ego is affectionately known to the family as "Doris".
thats funny, we call mine Doris too!
Old 22 July 2004, 11:16 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
thats funny, we call mine Doris too!
Just seems to sum her up.

If we had the German voice activated she would have been Hilda.

Short for Brunhilda.
Old 22 July 2004, 11:21 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
If we had the German voice activated she would have been Hilda.

Short for Brunhilda.

You get the new sexy woman on TT3 (better than TT2) however I ALSO run POI warner who does have have a German accent, very stern!!! "SLOW DOWN! YOU ARE EXCEEDING ZE SPEED LIMIT"
Old 22 July 2004, 11:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I was using Navman and asked for the nearest Shell garage (I was in Basildon) - everyone knows there is no Shell garage there and the twatting satnav sent me to Shelly Avenue which was in a pikey/white trash estate
Old 24 July 2004, 11:26 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Incase anyone is interested, take a look at the massive range of gps http://www.expansys.com/d_gps.asp on expansys site. Bought mobile phones from them in the past. Very quick delivery.
Old 24 July 2004, 12:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>I was using Navman and asked for the nearest Shell garage (I was in Basildon) - everyone knows there is no Shell garage there and the twatting satnav sent me to Shelly Avenue which was in a pikey/white trash estate

LOL!