Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you ever had to dial 999?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 03:09 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever had to dial 999?

Just as a matter of interest, who here has ever had to dial 999 and why?

I have no intention of stirring up distressing memories if anyone's had to call an ambulace for a loved one or get the fire brigade to remove a hamster from a tree/alternative location

Just curious...

For those who have, let's hope you never need to again and for those who haven't, I hope it stays that way!
Old 14 July 2004, 03:11 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Only once IIRC for a car outside the house in the middle of the road which we woke up to find on fire at 2am.
Given I didn't know if it contained anyone, felt 999 was worthy.
As it turned out, it was an abandoned joyridden car.....
Old 14 July 2004, 03:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

4am on a saturday morning just drove back from nottingham to grantham, as I pulled into town the car caught fire in the engine bay... managed to get out OK but the car went up in bits, fire brigade too best part of 20mins at least to get here from a mile away

secondly, dropped a mate off out in the sticks and saw a house/barn on fire (BIG BIG fire, the whole house was ablaze, pulled onto the side of the road gave accurate directions to where we was and what have you, dont know if the fire brigade ever made it or if any1 was in the place?
Old 14 July 2004, 03:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Called the fire brigade when I was about 6 as my neighbours kitchen was on fire never had to do it since though.
Old 14 July 2004, 03:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

No, but I once COULD have pulled the communication cord on an intercity train when a door flew open as it left Edinburgh, and couldn't be pulled shut due to wind resistance. (Old type slam door stock).

I bottled it, (in case of a fine, wifey would have gone ballistic: ), and went for the guard, instead.

He did say that if I had pulled the cord, I'd have been within the law. Damn!

Alcazar
Old 14 July 2004, 03:22 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

My wife was once given grief by this nutcase on the train. When the guard came round, he said she'd have been within the T&C's to pull the cord (although IMHO, whether the train is stopped or moving would have little bearing on stopping this man!).
Old 14 July 2004, 03:25 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I called 999 when a 200litre plastic oil drum bounced off the back of a wagon on the oposite side of the motorway, bounced over the central reservation and nearly wiped me clean out

...not bothered about the oil drum, I needed a clean pair of undercrackers quicksharp!!

called a few other times for other m/way incidents/debris etc.
Old 14 July 2004, 03:27 PM
hello
Scooby Regular

i used to do it all the time when i was little,as my mum keeped getting beat up by her partner.
fookin tw@t if i saw him now
Old 14 July 2004, 03:29 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

About 6 months ago had to call 999 as two guys were knocking 7-bells out of each other outside my house. Both p1ssed out of their heads (seemed like friends having an arguement) but then one ended up lying on the floor (motionless) and the other holding a rather large stone over his head ready to drop it.

Women on other end did not seem interested at all, but I was worried someone would try and break it up and get a good kicking as a result.

Emergency? What does constitue one these days?
Old 14 July 2004, 03:32 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

i have when some joyriding ******* took out three cars(my scooby included) and drove off! chased with a friend and found them in my local pub, police turned up half hour later and had to wait further half hour before they would arrest them! oh and they walked away the following day scot free!
Old 14 July 2004, 03:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Emergency? What does constitue one these days?
Scamera van broken down on it's way to it's spot? :

Gatso out of film? :

Laser Scamera not working? :

Coppers late back to base for break and meal? :

Alcazar
Old 14 July 2004, 03:37 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yup, twice.

First was when i was in a car on the M4 and we were following a bloke who was pi$$ed out of his head (or drugged up) driving a BMW. He was weaving back and forth across all 3 carriageways and the hard shoulder forcing people to veer out of the way all over the place. My mate was driving and i was giving the control room a running commentary of what he was doing, and people he was forcing off the road. They didn't do much though...

The other one was due to a hysterical woman neighbour banging on my front door asking for help as her boyfriend was going mad with a knife. I called the plod then stood in the porch with a baseball bat in case he tried to come and get her. Fortunately he just started slashing his arms up big style and didn't start on me. Plod arrived really quick (someone else had called them too) and bundled him away in a wagon.
Old 14 July 2004, 03:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't but my 2 year old daughter has twice. First time they were quite accomodating and politely asked us to keep the phone out of the babys hand.

2nd time they were less than amused and started asking why the baby was screaming in the background - "How would you feel if someone just pinched your favorite toy?"
Old 14 July 2004, 03:54 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Only once, when a chav was breaking into a car right outside my house.

I went outside whilst on the cordless phone, but lost the signal when I got outside, so I "dealt" with it myself, before the cavalry arrived.
Old 14 July 2004, 03:55 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Obstruction on M25 once, and a lorry with half his load hanging off on M25....
Old 14 July 2004, 03:56 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

loads of times.

Seen accidents, crimes, all sorts.

Most amusing one was coming across a broken down milk float (was on 3 wheels- one had fallen off) in the middle of a box junction at 5am on my way home from work.
No sign of the milkman or any milk, and as it was on a blind corner and it was dark it was sensible to call it in methinks.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:01 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I have a couple of times, mostly due to M-way incidents like crashes and cars on fire and the such like.
astraboy.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've used 999 many times.

Quite a few times for accidents and fires.

Once when a group of yobs attacked my Dad.

And 12 weeks ago when I had a Heart Attack.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 July 2004, 04:15 PM
ChrisB

For an ambulance to a camp site in Wales when somebody had a very bad asthma attack (turned out said person had a blood clot IIRC).

You try saying a Welsh place name correctly when it's very important - I wasn't particular sober myself, so it was something of a struggle
Old 14 July 2004, 04:20 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I bet that handset needed a good wipe after that Chris
Old 14 July 2004, 04:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

A few times but one I recall very clearly

I had been watching the Cup Final round my mothers [Chelsea were in it] I was putting the kids in the car put my son in first when my mother screamed that my daughter wasn't breathing

I dialled 999 who were brilliant they talked my through checking airway etc etc

less than 5 mins passed and a Paramedic walked down the drive I ran out holding my daughter screaming that she wasn't breathing.

One look and he took my daughter and smilled and said she was fine.

He took her back to the ambulance and off they speed

When I got to the hospital she was sitting up in the ambulance gurgling away

all with no ill effects

THANK GOOD FOR THE EMERGENCY SERVICES
Old 14 July 2004, 04:30 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Back when i was 19 my girlfriend had to ring whilst we were in my car driving. A car overtook us and swerved back in grinding to a hault. I hugh lad got out and proceeded to kick lumps outta my lovely car. He tried to punch the windows out but couldnt so the misses rang the police. Now the police station was within shouting distance round the corner and after 5mins this guy was still going whilst his friends blocked me in. He really wanted to kill me so i thought sod it and reversed over the guy damaging his knee, He got off the floor hobbling so i blasted him with my full beam, put it in first gear and ran him over again sending him over the corner side of the car this time. Back into reverse and he soon got the picture and limped off to police station whilst his friend had already disapperaed leaving him there. lol

Last edited by scrappydoo; 14 July 2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called 999 when I needed the number of an all-night kebab shop

Only joking, I called 999 when our neighbour was burning some garden waste and managed to set fire to his tree that was overhanging our back yard..... The fire station was just around the corner and they were extremely prompt and gave the silly s0d a right dressing down
Old 14 July 2004, 04:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just once when a biker got knocked off in front of us. Then of course I noticed that 12 other motorists were dialling it as well. Bet the services hate mobiles.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:43 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Just once when a biker got knocked off in front of us. Then of course I noticed that 12 other motorists were dialling it as well. Bet the services hate mobiles.
Its better 12 folk phoning than none bothering matey.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:46 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Had to call for an ambulance once. House was a little bit tricky to find, but easy if you came into the village from one direction. Specifically told the operator this. 20 mins later still no ambulance (station 5 min drive away). called again. Another 10 mins later ambulance showed up and no one had passed on my directions to them.

Fortunately no long term damage suffered, but each minute feels like an hour in those situations.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:49 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Twice.

One due to RTA, guy managed to dent every panel on his 206, comeing over a humpback bridge at high speed, I came round the corner as the car came to a halt on it's wheels.

Luckly I was stoped infront of a road sign and so could give the women in the control centre the exact road numbers, "we are at the junction of the B9999 and the B1234", however this did not seam to do it for her, so I ended up with, "we are outside the garden centre by the hump back bridge on the binfield road" "OK sir we are on our way"

Other time was for a wheely bin fire, however the bin was against the side of a someones house and next to several other bins. Phoned 999, and then tried to move the other bins, however worried that an areosol in the bin could explode, I retired to a safe distance. Only for some muppet to come up and ask why I was not moving the other bins, I expalined he laughed took two steps forward, then jumped out of his skin as an areosol went BANG with quite specatular style!!!
Old 14 July 2004, 04:49 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Called 999 when I needed the number of an all-night kebab shop
Check out some of these callers

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk..._999_calls.asp

Darren
Old 14 July 2004, 04:51 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
but each minute feels like an hour in those situations.
How right you are.

It took the ambulance less than 5 minutes to get to me but it felt like ages.
I was also stationary in the ambulance for what seemed like ages while the paramedics hooked me up to all the equipment and got me stabalised.
The Journey to the hospital didn't seem to take long with the sirens blaring though.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 July 2004, 04:51 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Yep - when a girlfriend was threatening to commit suicide, not nice!

Quick Reply: Have you ever had to dial 999?