Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Never mind MTB'rs, what about road (push) bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 08:12 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Never mind MTB'rs, what about road (push) bikers?

Topical as the TDF is running.....what you got?

I like to split my cycling time between road and off road, road bike is a Bianchi Gold Race 600 triple
Old 14 July 2004, 08:37 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

triple? poof

My roadbike is a Giant TCR double
Old 14 July 2004, 08:38 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

You lycra wearing ******* should stay offa our (turbo massive) roads
C
Old 14 July 2004, 08:42 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Specialized Allez frame, mix of components (mainly Ultegra), but running double, naturally.
Old 14 July 2004, 08:43 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Wanna mind your ticker Dave at your age How you doing??
CHeers
Colin
Old 14 July 2004, 08:49 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
You lycra wearing ******* should stay offa our (turbo massive) roads
C
Yeah, but I confuse people by sometimes wearing MTB clothes on the road bike! I've never liked (or had the figure for) the full-on lycra road-warrior look.
Old 14 July 2004, 09:03 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mooseracer
Scoob99 summed it up - as you say triples are indeed for poofs but i'm over 50 now so have to watch the ticker - plus the Bianchi was £150 off in Evans's sale - can't resist a bargain

Looking at upgrading to a TREK 5500 - full carbon and £2699 - but in a double

But at least i'm out ther on my bike, unlike that lardarsed old fart Old_Fart - howyadoin Chuckie?

the moose - I tend to run a mixture of lycra shorts, and road/mtb/running gear top half - whatever suits the weather and my mood
Old 14 July 2004, 09:16 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I'm most excellent thanks Dave. Read of your new fitness focussed lifestyle elsewhere...spooky
Chuck
(Don't tell anyone bbut I'm a fairly avid gym go-er these days too...can't risk the old bones seizing up for another 18 years now we've another kid )
Old 14 July 2004, 09:17 AM
ChrisB

Tomorrow on ScoobyNet, we discuss leg waxing or shaving for roadies
Old 14 July 2004, 09:26 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Tomorrow on ScoobyNet, we discuss leg waxing or shaving for roadies
What hair removal techniques do you recommend for spinning classes?
Old 14 July 2004, 09:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Pmsl @ Chris, shaved legs and lycra shorts is sooooo not a good look for a bloke

Dave, you should know better, blokes your age ought to be settling down in a comfy chair with a packets of Werthers and checking out the latest offers on Stannahs
Old 14 July 2004, 09:33 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Pmsl @ Chris, shaved legs and lycra shorts is sooooo not a good look for a bloke

Dave, you should know better, blokes your age ought to be settling down in a comfy chair with a packets of Werthers and checking out the latest offers on Stannahs
Tell you what, I was TOTALLY humiliated by a 55 year old (ish) mountain biker the other week. Technique, strength, endurance ... *******!
Old 14 July 2004, 09:49 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LOL - this thread is going the way I like

moose - yep, age is no impediment - i'm fitter than i've ever been - running an 8 mile circuit in around 63 mins, and my short road bike 10 mile hilly route I can do in the 35 min or so bracket. Did an 18.5 miler in dead on 60 mins a few weeks back. Thinking about having a go at time trials, providing they have an old farts category!!
Old 14 July 2004, 09:55 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave T-S
LOL - this thread is going the way I like

moose - yep, age is no impediment - i'm fitter than i've ever been - running an 8 mile circuit in around 63 mins, and my short road bike 10 mile hilly route I can do in the 35 min or so bracket. Did an 18.5 miler in dead on 60 mins a few weeks back. Thinking about having a go at time trials, providing they have an old farts category!!
Road bike, 9.3 mile route to work, hilly both ways but more one way than the other.

PB out (adverse) 29.35
PB return leg: 26.02*

* But I did throw up when I stopped - trying a little too hard, I think!
Old 14 July 2004, 10:13 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Revell Romany II, 1984. Took it round France and Germany when I was 15. Alone.

Macleans Featherweight, built for my grandfather's friend in about 1930 as a 3-speed derailleur. I rebuilt it in the late 80s as a fixed wheel, with Mavic rims, TA cranks, and Campag Record hubs.

Both in Reynolds 531. The Macleans is pink with a double-box finish, and double LUGS. A real work of art.

Both have been gathering cobwebs in the loft for 10 years while I went off globetrotting, and have now been shipped to my new home in Portugal, where I've bought new tyres for them.

They're now gathering cobwebs in the garage
Old 14 July 2004, 10:17 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thinking about having a go at time trials, providing they have an old farts category!!
They certainly do
Better hope ajm doesn't see this thread - he's quite partial to chaps in lycra you know
Old 14 July 2004, 10:20 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Reynolds tubing - those were the days.

Where can you get racing bikes these days with steel tubing like 531/653, or Columbus SL etc. While aluminium is fine, the longevity of it is pretty poor (loses it's original form after 4-5 years), along with the fact that aluminium frames can't be repaired really - whereas a steel frame can.

Everything seems to be aluminium these days
Old 14 July 2004, 10:23 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Thinking about having a go at time trials, providing they have an old farts category!!
Certainly in the summer, most clubs have 10 & 25 mile TT's every week which are open to anyone.....certainly I used to go to a 10 mile TT every week in Kirkliston, nr Edinburgh run by the Edinburgh RC.

Didn't matter who you were, young or old, fast or slow, you were always welcomed. Think it was 25p each
Old 14 July 2004, 10:26 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Reynolds tubing - those were the days.

Where can you get racing bikes these days with steel tubing like 531/653, or Columbus SL etc. While aluminium is fine, the longevity of it is pretty poor (loses it's original form after 4-5 years), along with the fact that aluminium frames can't be repaired really - whereas a steel frame can.

Everything seems to be aluminium these days
People talk about ease of repair on a frame - I've been riding and crashing for over 20 years and have never once needed to have a frame repaired. Am I doing something right, or is it one of those features that, sure , you'd like to have but probably won't need.

Let's face it, unless you've invested £2k in a Litespeed Ti frame, you'd not really want to pay half (or more) of the cost of a frame to get it repaired, would you? Not with good frames (mountain bikes, anyway) clocking in at £250 (steel, aluminium) and £750 (Ti).
Old 14 July 2004, 10:30 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Giant CFR here although I must admit it has been some what neglected recently.
Any roadie forums (like STW for MTBs) with a classifieds so I can pimp up my road bike too ?
Old 14 July 2004, 10:32 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
People talk about ease of repair on a frame - I've been riding and crashing for over 20 years and have never once needed to have a frame repaired. Am I doing something right, or is it one of those features that, sure , you'd like to have but probably won't need.
I guess your point on cost of repair is a fair one...however, I have had a steel frame repaired before....cost me £10 for a welder to do it.

In 20 years, I've snapped about 5 frames (and current Rockhopper Comp frame which has already been replaced once is about to snap as well - can see hairline cracks appearing).

They always go either just behind the bottom bracket on the chainstay (too much torque applied at the chainset I reckon!) or at the top of the seat stay.

However, most frames come with 15 year warrantys and they've always replaced them for free!!!!
Old 14 July 2004, 10:49 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
I guess your point on cost of repair is a fair one...however, I have had a steel frame repaired before....cost me £10 for a welder to do it.

In 20 years, I've snapped about 5 frames (and current Rockhopper Comp frame which has already been replaced once is about to snap as well - can see hairline cracks appearing).

They always go either just behind the bottom bracket on the chainstay (too much torque applied at the chainset I reckon!) or at the top of the seat stay.

However, most frames come with 15 year warrantys and they've always replaced them for free!!!!
Must just be me then. Thing is, I'm heavy (between 14 and 15 stone) and tend to crash things about, so I'd have thought I'd be a prime candidate for destroying frames, though if, as you say, it's cracking on the chain or seat stays, might be your pedalling action, or the gearing you run? You're not a singlespeeder, are you - that might give enough torque to crack things over time.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:53 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

PB out (adverse) 29.35
PB return leg: 26.02*

* But I did throw up when I stopped - trying a little too hard, I think!
If you don't throw up when setting a PB then you ain't trying hard enough
Old 14 July 2004, 10:54 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Must just be me then. Thing is, I'm heavy (between 14 and 15 stone) and tend to crash things about, so I'd have thought I'd be a prime candidate for destroying frames, though if, as you say, it's cracking on the chain or seat stays, might be your pedalling action, or the gearing you run? You're not a singlespeeder, are you - that might give enough torque to crack things over time.
I'm probably the same weight as you (bit heavier now!).

No....I have a theory on some of the frames - using them in turbo-trainers I reckon puts a lot of stress on the rear triangle....

Gearing - do tend to accelerate from rest in quite a high gear, so a lot of stresses going on....

Who knows.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:56 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
If you don't throw up when setting a PB then you ain't trying hard enough
Hehe....I remember after a few TT's when cycling home after the event....felt pretty grim sometimes, but your legs just kept on going....