Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the meanest your company has ever been to you ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 12:39 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the meanest your company has ever been to you ?

Hi guys,

Just thought id ask this question as there is a real bitch of an argument going on in our place of work because some geezer who works for the company has invited himself out on a company night out with the upper management and is now bitchinh because they wont pay for his hotel room as well, even though he has use of the company flat but "its not a hotel" The guy is a twonk if you ask me but I think its an interesting one none the less.
Old 12 July 2004, 12:47 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

making me buy the first round on friday afternoon?
Old 12 July 2004, 12:58 PM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Angry

1. Being invited on a fully paid for suppliers golf day out and my company refusing to allow me to present the organiser with three of our company's golf ***** .... which I did out of courtesy, out of my own pocket anyway. Tight gits.

2. Being asked to travel on a Sunday night and no time off in lieu granted ... not even "a late morning" ...
Old 12 July 2004, 01:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sending me to the other side of Europe to an all-weekend conference, including chairing a Working Group from 9am on the Sunday morning, and then telling me afterwards that there is no time off in lieu for weekend work (or travel). It was only then that I found out why the three other people before me, who should have gone, were "unavailable".

They can rest assured that I will also be "unavailable" for things like this in the future.
Old 12 July 2004, 01:15 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

not being paid (by the old man!) for taking a day off sick. I had been working from 0600 to 1700 for weeks and weeks, never got paid overtime, never took any time off. i couldn't fookin beleive it when he docked me a day for being sick. i was on terrible money as well. needless to say, i found another job shortly afterwards!
Old 12 July 2004, 01:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

My old boss (Finance Director ) was tight as they come! Sometimes we would have meetings through lunch and order in sandwiches on the company - when he found out he banned us from doing that saying that they would be a taxable benefit in kind!

He even cancelled our company Christmas tree and then the party also had to be cancelled because he banned all subsidies and the staff boycotted!

We sold off a load of assets and staff were allowed to bid (until I found him loading up his jag with free tv's one night!). I got a nice discounted tv for keeping schtum (still insisted I pay something though!!!).

His nickname was "Thrush" on account of him being an irritating c*nt!!!
Old 12 July 2004, 01:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Having an expenses claim refused because I only had a one way train ticket!! Never did work that one out. Refused payment on a bottle of water and a mars bar because they were from the mini bar, I'd arrived at the hotel late and starving. If I'd gone downstairs and ordered Lobster it would've been paid.
Old 12 July 2004, 03:37 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Stueyb,

YHPM (on another subject)
Old 12 July 2004, 03:44 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

My works pretty cool to me.

I'm quite annoyed at the moment becuase everyone else has been allowed to book 2 weeks off during July to August but I can only be spared 1 week and even then I have to be available by phone or to come in if any of the computers throws a wobbly.

Still, no one pays attention to the technology budget and my PC needs a few upgrades
Old 12 July 2004, 04:07 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

My company is ace to me.

My boss flew me to Silverstone on friday in his helicopter for lunch in the BRDC to watch pre-practice (this included a pit lane tour). He then took 40 of us Karting yesterday.

He also paid for my solicitor when i got caught speeding in my 03WRXPPP (which is a company car).

And he always gets the drinks in down the pub.

All in all he's the best boss i've ever had (and no, I'm not related to him).
Old 12 July 2004, 04:08 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I was once refused a 20p parking ticket claim. I was working somewhere with a colleague, and the only place to get lunch was from Tesco's a couple of miles down the road which had a pay and display car park. I bought the ticket and submitted it as part of my lunch claim (which would only cover the first £3.00 anyway), and the manager of the job refused it - stupid cow!

Their company cars bore the brunt of my displeasure from that point on - 20p doesn't go far towards replacement clutches and tyres

I don't work there anymore.
Old 12 July 2004, 04:11 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I used a colleagues company car over a christmas period and was charged for the fuel I used, even though everyone else never pays for their own fuel, and my manager neglected to inform me I had to pay for it. It wasn't until 6 weeks later that I was sent the e-mail in which my manager agreed prior to me having the car that I would pay. So it was decided before hand, but nobody informed me. So I ended up being stung for the cost of the fuel used 6 weeks later.
Old 12 July 2004, 04:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
I was once refused a 20p parking ticket claim. I was working somewhere with a colleague, and the only place to get lunch was from Tesco's a couple of miles down the road which had a pay and display car park. I bought the ticket and submitted it as part of my lunch claim (which would only cover the first £3.00 anyway), and the manager of the job refused it - stupid cow!

Their company cars bore the brunt of my displeasure from that point on - 20p doesn't go far towards replacement clutches and tyres

I don't work there anymore.
That reminds me... I also had to pay for a parking ticket that I got whilst attending a meeting in my ex-bosses place (filled in for him last minute). He didn't leave me enought time time to park anywhere but the one hour zone and still make it to the meeting on time. When I got back to the car 2 hours later I had been done.

Miserable git!
Old 12 July 2004, 04:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Butkus
I was once refused a 20p parking ticket claim.
If I was Finance Director, I'd refuse that on principle. Were you on below minimum wage, or was this in 1973?
Old 12 July 2004, 04:54 PM
JDM
BANNED

I worked for a small company, run by an autocratic type who seemed to think that as he employed us, he owned us.
This meant that even the smallest expense claim was scrutinised, overtime was never paid 'unless you are more than 3 hours late home'- whatever that meant. He also used to send us emails asking us to bring him tea/coffee etc.
Whole place was an absolute nightmare. Then one day after being cornered by the bosses wife I gave into temptation and gave her one.
The girls who bore the brunt of his tea making demands also informed me that it was regularly adulterated with substances ranging from spit to worse, much worse.
Moral of the story is be nice to your underlings otherwise they'll just take it back some other way.
Old 12 July 2004, 05:20 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
If I was Finance Director, I'd refuse that on principle. Were you on below minimum wage, or was this in 1973?
OK, on that basis I shouldn't have claimed for the Mars bar that I would have bought with my lunch as it was 'only' 36p or whatever, or the apple that was 10p. It was just one of the receipts I had for that day out on business, so I chucked it in there not even thinking about it. She specifically pointed it out and refused to pay it.

Oh well, all history now.

Was probably 5 or 6 years ago now.
Old 12 July 2004, 06:52 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a 4 grand pay cut, and written warning, for nothing (it turned out later, I was being majory stitched up)

Now 18 months later, I was refused a pay rise in my 8 hour appraisal (yes thats right, 8 hours cos they wouldnt give me a pay rise, so i refused to budge) pi55 poor excuses, at least 4 other people (out of 6 of us) got pay rises this time, and they still cannot justify why I havent had a pay rise

The only reason is, is that I was taken on with my current company, on quite a bit more money than anybody else, and our MD is a tight fisted git, and wont pay people the going rates
Old 12 July 2004, 07:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
I got a 4 grand pay cut, and written warning, for nothing (it turned out later, I was being majory stitched up)

Now 18 months later, I was refused a pay rise in my 8 hour appraisal (yes thats right, 8 hours cos they wouldnt give me a pay rise, so i refused to budge) pi55 poor excuses, at least 4 other people (out of 6 of us) got pay rises this time, and they still cannot justify why I havent had a pay rise

The only reason is, is that I was taken on with my current company, on quite a bit more money than anybody else, and our MD is a tight fisted git, and wont pay people the going rates

the company i work for is a penny pinching outfit considering they are the biggest house builder in the coutry i think half the time the office staff think its there money they are paying out
Old 12 July 2004, 07:50 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Can't really complain too much about my firm. The worst I have against them is their salary policy which is "you've done really great this year - please just keep doing what you're doing. By the way your annual salary increase is zero.". That sucks.
Old 12 July 2004, 08:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Cant complain about mine apart from the fact the job is boring but hey i get paid loads of money, get a L200 Warrior, expenses account(never had anything knocked back), laptop, fuel card for petrol & diesel (work that out ??) & hours are meant to be 8 till 5 more like 11 to 3 & they still think the sun shines out my @rse !!

Time for a change

Stephen
Old 12 July 2004, 08:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, lets put it this way.

I registered a domain for a new venture & he said he'd pay for it - he refused the expenses claim

Then after I left the company, he demanded the passwords etc & I refused as he had not paid me for them.

He reported me to the cops for theft of the domain name!

Cops laughed especially as I could prove that he'd refused to pay me back.

Wanted a day off for my sprog's 1st birthday, had asked & he was too busy to deal with it then, but had implied it was OK. I took it off & got a verbal warning + docked a days pay! On questioning him about this was told to shut the f*** up otherwise he'd dock more pay

Going back on an agreement for 30% of a new company that I had invented and put together because I had the temerity to ask him for a pay rise as I'd not had a pay review for 2 years despite it being in my contract & all the other senior staff had as a matter of course each year. He then tried to get me to sign a new contract that would make my T&C a lot worse than the previous one.

That one cost him dearly (£££££) as I found out about it & took him to an industrial tribunal

I'm fortunate in that my current bosses are not at all like that - work hard & play hard

Old 12 July 2004, 09:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Screwing me on my overtime/bonus saying wasn't authorised....although I was told to work through the night to get various jobs done by the deadline.

Needless to say I never worked past 5:00pm thereafter. Even when I was demanded to work over...I'd get a phone call at 4:40pm...oops my battery has gone flat Or I'd get the bosses lap dog turn up on whatever site I was at telliing me to work over.(boss never does anything - just orders him to tell other to do this and that) To which I told him, phone the boss and tell him to pay me the overtime up front with what you owe me previously and I'll do it.

I wasn't asked again, and I didn't work there for many months after that either. Although they saw fit to send me to London everyday (based in midlands) without expenses for 3 weeks expecting me to travel there and arrive at 8:00am and finish there at 5:00pm. I left home at 8:00am and left site at 3:30-4:00pm (depending on mood).

It was a short lived career, but I didn't get sacked - they couldn't run the business without me, seeing they had no one else to do do the work.
Old 13 July 2004, 11:54 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

hmm...where to begin.
hows about when enquring as to xmas bonus benig told by the boss "You had an office party (@ £10 a head) - that's your bonus"
Old 13 July 2004, 12:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL @ that but just reminds me...

Had a pay rise in November (18 months late ) but was the ONLY person in the whole company to NOT get an Xmas bonus. When I asked why, I was told that I couldn't have an Xmas bonus as I'd had a recent payrise & when I pressed it by saying that it wasn't entirely logical was told to shut up or lose the payrise!

To$$er!
Old 13 July 2004, 02:05 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Where do I start:

-Pension stolen, the companies and our contribution used to keep the company running instead of being payed into our pension accounts. This was then payed back in installments over a 12 month period without interest etc
-We were all "asked" to sign a waiver on overtime work in an "or else you wont be working here long" manor
-Boss always goes on about "a bit of give and take", but its all given by us and taken by him...
-No pay rise for, hmm, 3 years
-I took a paycut of around 60% to help keep the company running
-Boss has placed three peoples work on my desk after everyone has left and he's not re-hired in the same areas
-Cheques bouncing on a regular basis due to funds being juggled around
-I am forced to work 24/7 cover for IT for only 5k a year...
-We have been payed on the last friday of the month for 5 years. One month we all legged it outta the office to pay the cheques in (re: bouncing cheques)(we've been on and off BACS more times than I can remember) and the boss moaned about it, and said the answer would be to give us pay on the last day of the month ?! So we all just leg it then instead...
-Often go on meetings around the country, staying over etc without receiving "away from home" renumiration
-Fantasy answers to difficult questions (pay related), like "at the end of the year we'll be floating the company and you'll be getting shares" about 3 years ago...
-Constantly having to badger accounts about getting expenses signed off, boss losing copies of form with receipts so I have no proof of what I spent (dont do that any more as they get photocopies)...
-Holiday must be booked 1 month in advance, yet boss always will call you on holiday about something "critical" that must need you to look at even though he could find out himself if he could be bothered.
-4 companies later Im still working in the same building (they've liquidated that many companies since I've been here).
-Employees "dropped" with liquidated companies so dont receive redundancy
-No contract, they've not carried them over between the companies so everyone is in noman's land.

Take it form me, there are worse places to work than your current location

Needless to say, I handed in my notice on the 25th of June. HURAH! However, I've yet to receive confirmation wether they accept my leaving date as there's a massive uproar over my notice period... seems they wont even let me go without a fight.

Someone please cheer me up and say you're in a worse place

Jules