Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

KL, Malaysia - anyone know much about the place?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2004, 05:49 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KL, Malaysia - anyone know much about the place?

Looks like I may be working in Kuala Lumpar as well as Oz, NZ and maybe Japan.

Sooo, anyone been? What's it like? places to see, things to do, living there? Visa issues? etc.
Old 09 July 2004, 06:03 PM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lucky sod! We had our Honeymoon in Malaysia (this year) I have to say KL is one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to!
I can't tell you much other than the touristy type things but we found the people there very friendly, English is spoken everywhere and I've never enjoyed shopping as much!!!
We did all the tourist things, the Monorail, KL Tower, Petronas Towers, China town, Little India. We found it was safe to walk everywhere at any time and felt very comfortable. The only thing that really hit me was the humidity, it seems to be 85% and above most of the time.
We also stayed in Penang for a week which is not the most picturesque of islands but everyone again was friendly and the food was the best I've ever had (from the hawker stalls)
We are desperate to go back to Malaysia again!
Old 10 July 2004, 05:11 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

I've been over to Malaysia about 8 times in the past 3 yrs. working in Shah Alam, and staying in Petaling Jaya (PJ). I catch the monorail into KL on evenings and w/ends.

KL is a great city. There is plenty to see and do and all the hotels will hv brochures on the spots to see. See if you can book a meal in the revolving KL Tower - spectacular views and great food.

One of the best things about Malaysisa is the food - expect to put on weight because the food is sooooo good - fish is all fresh and tastes fantastic.
I enjoy the chinese food over the Malay food (less hot) but luckily I can eat all!

Pay a visit (or 2) to Petaling Street (in China town. There is a station about 3 minites from the Street. There you can buy watches, cds, dvds, handbags, t-shirts, football replica shirts, etc at a minute fraction of the prices in UK.

I've never had a single bad experience there. No visa issues if you hv a uk passport.
Most people speak English and the people are v. friendly esp to English folks.
No "religion" problems although Muslim is the main religion followed. Malaysia has a v.mixed culture of Christrian, Buddist and Muslim and all mix v.well.

Tiger beer recommended. Do try the Durian fruit too - an aquired taste but I like in small amounts.

I'm back there 4 2 weeks at the beginning of August.
If u need further advise just ask.
Old 10 July 2004, 07:09 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

I am 'the' resident Scoobynetter in Kuala Lumpur. Drop me a line on what you need to know specifically, e.g. long term or short term accomodation, travel arrangements, etc. and I'll see what I can do to help. Everything is cheap in local currency compared to sterling, so if you are paid in the latter, you will be OK.The only downside is the cost of a car purchase, where import and excise duties can easily double the price of an imported model. To make up for that, petrol is dirt cheap, and speeding vioations can be settled on-the-spot quite easily.