Old 06 July 2004, 11:59 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your help required!!!!

Please vist

http://www.nolimit.org.im/petition.html

(I don't remember how to do a clicky)

Some of you may know of this, but for those who don't, the Isle of Man has no national upper speed limit, the Manx Government is considering a change in the law to impose such a limit.

So come on there are shed loads of users on here, you must all go and stick your names on the petition, there is no reason not to, and I demand that you do right now.......a more reasoned arguement follows:

A fellow scoob owner has set this site up in the hope that public opinion might save the last bastion of legal road based fun in the UK.

You might not live on the IOM, you may never have been here, but one day you might, and when you do, you get the change to go like billyo and not break the law.

A few years ago I made a promise to myself that my speedo would hit 3 figures at least 5 times a week, consider the costs in fines I'm going to pay if this happens...........
Old 07 July 2004, 12:06 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

and the Manx Government is making such a speed limit request because of what? Death? Because it is the last Isle not to have such a havoc reaping law?

why is it so bad? People die every year on that isle, is it immune to law because it has been in the past?
Old 07 July 2004, 07:24 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The basic premise behind a speed limit is that it's unsafe to travel any faster, under any circumstances. If you've ever been to the IoM you'll know that for many of the roads the 60mph proposed limit is, quite simply, preposterous.

Not only would the imposition of such a limit be a tremendous loss to the motoring community, it would cause irreperable harm to the Island itself. Tourism (especially bikers) is a major revenue source for the Island, and its fabulous derestricted roads are the main reason lots of people go there. I've been there three times for this reason alone and will continue to go back for as long as it remains somewhere I can enjoy high performance motoring legally. With a 60mph limit there, I won't bother.

The IoM can't support itself just by exporting kippers, you know.
Old 07 July 2004, 12:24 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
and the Manx Government is making such a speed limit request because of what? Death? Because it is the last Isle not to have such a havoc reaping law?

why is it so bad? People die every year on that isle, is it immune to law because it has been in the past?
I must be mistaken in my understanding that people die on the roads where there is a limit. are there no road deaths in the UK where a 60 / 70 MPH limit is in force, or in the US where a 55 / 65 MPH limit is in force, or even Jersey where a 30 / 40 MPH limit is in force.

Soulgirl, you have not reallt made a point here, or am I just missing the the logic in your post?
Old 07 July 2004, 12:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Was chatting to a mate not long back from the TT.

Conversation went like this:

Me: See much carnage this year mate ?
Him: Think there was only 6 killed this year
Me: Take it was the obligatory mad Germans on Mad Sunday ?
Him: Unfortunately the incident I saw was a guy in his builders van on his way home from work, minding his own business, when a biker on the wrong side of the road went straight into the front of his van killing him and seriously injuring his mate.

Suppose it could happen anywhere and I've got no problem if the people attending the TT do themselves in, but when the locals start getting wiped out when minding their own business, then it all seems a bit off IMHO
Old 07 July 2004, 12:59 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Was chatting to a mate not long back from the TT.

Conversation went like this:

Me: See much carnage this year mate ?
Him: Think there was only 6 killed this year
Me: Take it was the obligatory mad Germans on Mad Sunday ?
Him: Unfortunately the incident I saw was a guy in his builders van on his way home from work, minding his own business, when a biker on the wrong side of the road went straight into the front of his van killing him and seriously injuring his mate.

Suppose it could happen anywhere and I've got no problem if the people attending the TT do themselves in, but when the locals start getting wiped out when minding their own business, then it all seems a bit off IMHO
A biker killed himself outside Limavady before the North West 200 (one of our local road races) and we have speed limits here.
Old 07 July 2004, 10:35 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannin
I must be mistaken in my understanding that people die on the roads where there is a limit. are there no road deaths in the UK where a 60 / 70 MPH limit is in force, or in the US where a 55 / 65 MPH limit is in force, or even Jersey where a 30 / 40 MPH limit is in force.

Soulgirl, you have not reallt made a point here, or am I just missing the the logic in your post?
You haven't missed anything. I must have been possessed! What on earth was I drivelling on about? Wine+late hour=tosspot Sorry