Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Giving up Smoking via Hypnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 07:34 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Giving up Smoking via Hypnosis?

Does this actually work or is it a con?

I would love to give up but lack the will power to do it on my own. I've read about success stories, but are the stories real or fabricated?

I smoke about 20 a day and usually smoke more when I'm having a beer or two, but in the long run I know I'd save money and keep my health for a bit longer ......

I'm just a bit sceptical of spending £150-250 (and the gaurantee you will or your money back bit...) on something that wont work (like everyone would be thinking) for no result or something that would only last a couple to few months. If you were to start smoking again after having it, what would be there excuses?

Has anyone on here actually experinced it and its worked?

Nath
Old 06 July 2004, 07:35 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Everyone i know thats had it done left the hypnotists and lit up lol
Old 06 July 2004, 07:39 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

LOL Cheers Paul
Old 06 July 2004, 07:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I think in general the jury on hypnosis is still out. Many will say that it is wonderful and can achieve incredible things, others say it does nothing. I think the key is that you have to be reasonably "suggestable" to experience much "benefit". This is why McKenna and Derren Brown etc, choose their subjects very carefully to ensure they have suitable candidates.

So will it work for you?? Don't know, no way of knowing. But to be honest, the best way to give up smoking is just stop. Seriously it is that simple, if you want to give up, just stop. There will be times when you "crave" a cigarette, but that is mostly psychological, find something else to do for 5 minutes and it will pass.
Old 06 July 2004, 07:53 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

my other half gave up after hypnosis. she had read alan carr, and that seemed to help. she cut right down, but couldn't give up altogether. eventually, she tried hypnosis. when she came back she was very underwhelmed by the whole thing, and said that it hadn't made much difference. however - she stopped. could have been that she was ready to stop anyway; i don't know.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 06 July 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06 July 2004, 07:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if it works or not but what I do know is that after hypnosis every time you hear a certain record you dance like a loony.

Is that really worth it?
Old 06 July 2004, 07:58 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Stop" book.

Only costs a tenner - try reading it before you go for hypnotherapy...
Old 07 July 2004, 12:09 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Alan Carr himself actually stopped after hypnosis, although he claims that wasn't the reason. Call me cynical, but I read his book and his method basically boils down to willpower IMO. Worth giving a read though because it does work for many people.

Only a very small percentage of people are susceptible to hypnosis, at least at the McKenna level. You also have to believe in it for it to be successful. Again, worth a try, it may just work, especially if you get your money back.
Old 07 July 2004, 07:12 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

tried hypnotherapy about 14 years ago, but I just went away from each session saying to myself 'Nobody's going to tell me to give up smoking!'

And was lighting up a half hour later.

The hypnotherapist reckoned I was too analytical. Maybe I didn't have much faith / trust in the hypnotherapist.

Eventually gave up 4 years later - by cutting down to minus one cigarette per day until there were zero cigarettes and then telling myself I been able to go without a cigarette the day before - and then carrying on, one day at a time.

plus avoiding alcohol in the first month and finding alternative activities when I usually lit up.
Old 07 July 2004, 09:28 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

A mate went the hypnosis route and was amazed at the results.
He had to go through his entire day detailing when he was most likely to have a ***. The ones the woman said she would "get rid of" right enough he no longer felt he needed to have. He was due to go to 3 sessions the first got rid of the morning, the second the afternoon and the third night. Morning and afternoon were indeed gotten rid of but then he decided he couldnt be @rsed and didnt go to the 3rd.
I would say that as long as you are determined to give up hypnosis may be the very thing you need but you must really want to give up.
Old 07 July 2004, 10:19 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

My wife (smoked for 12 years) who doesn't beleive in hyposis, ghosts, or anything that she can't see with her own eyes, saw a hypnotist 3 years ago, stopped smoking that day and hasn't touched one since. She still claims it was nothing to do with being hypnotised however.....also her friend who has tried and failed to stop smoking for the past 2 years saw a hypnotist as a last resort - again hasn't smoked since, or more importantly felt the need to - so there must be something in it...
Old 07 July 2004, 10:23 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boss Hogg
stopped smoking that day and hasn't touched one since. She still claims it was nothing to do with being hypnotised however
exactly the same as my mrs.

they aren't big on logical deduction, are they?

Old 07 July 2004, 10:52 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It worked for me- six years!
Old 07 July 2004, 11:17 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I attended a hypnotherapist for over 3 years and he came highly recommended and was fully accredited with the National Register of Hypnotherapists and Psychoanalysts and although he managed to successfully cure me of my original problem he struggled to get me to stop smoking... I don't for one second doubt his ability as a hypnotherapist but he himself states that smoking is not a quick fix via hypnotherapy.

My advice would be to read Allen Carr's book (provided you are truly committed to stopping) and save yourself a load of dosh.

Alot of people see hypnotherapy as an easy and painless way to stop smoking but you've still got to work at it..........
Old 07 July 2004, 03:34 PM
zesty
Scooby Regular

Seen two different hypnotists and still smoking!! Second one I saw had me quite for a week but then my lack of will power buggered everything up.
Old 07 July 2004, 07:02 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

got to really be in the right frame of mind i think,i managed to stop last year after around 20 years of heavy smoking
got up one morning,had one cigarette left in my packet,i smoked that and was going to buy more on the way to work,drove past the shop and not had one since
the wife still smokes and doesnt want to give up
it is hard but managed it,have known people to go to hypnotist for several sessions with no results
think its just right time right frame of mind sort of thing
and i did treat myself to a scooby after a month so that i had something to show for it
Old 07 July 2004, 07:26 PM
Speedmeister
Scooby Regular

Ask your GP about local NHS Smoking Cessation Groups.
Usually run by health visitors, they'll give you free patches etc and the peer pressure works wonders. They have a lot of success