Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you, or anyone you know, ever been hypnotised?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 04:02 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Have you, or anyone you know, ever been hypnotised?

As title, either for amusement or as hypnotherapy?

Just wondering what it does... did you/they remember anything betwen being very, very sleepy and opening your eyes?

- Foamy
Old 30 June 2004, 04:42 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Yep, I had hypnotherapy while having chemo, to help me cope with a growing needle phobia. Unfortunately the NHS would only give me 2 sessions, but I do feel they gave me some techniques to cope with constant needles being stuck in me.
At no time did I lose control, or actually feel 'under' (if you get what I mean!) and I was aware of things around me.
I was very unsure of the process before I went, but came away with good relaxations skills and the ability to make small areas of my skin go numb (for needles)... if I concentrate hard enough!
I don't hold with the idea of hypnotising for entertainment... it scares the $hit out of me!

Rachael (on Dave's user name, cos I forgot to change it! )
Old 30 June 2004, 05:00 PM
yoza
BANNED

I dont actually remember the process of being hypnotised, but I must have been.

I can just about recall saying..." With this ring..."
Old 30 June 2004, 05:56 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I was hypn'od to try and stop smoking, not once did I feel under as such, very relaxed though, still smoking by the way.

I think what put me off was the bizzare new age music, the hypnotist was an american guy with a very odd voice - he dragged half the words out as much as he could, and then upped the tempo for others like...

yooooooooooou dooooooo,notwishto,smokkkkkee, everrrrragain. It was a bit hard to tell what he was saying TBH.

To add to that, he had left a small gap in the curtains, 5 mins into the session, the sun moved round and sone a beam of light right in my eyes, put me right off.

I remember going in there exactly 1pm, no messing about, I was sat in the chair 5 minutes later.

after the session, he asked me what I thought, and explained that I never really felt "hypnotised", he said this was normal. he also asked how long I thought the session had lasted, to which I replied about 20 minutes.

"Try about 40 minutes" was his reply.

.....etc,etc, hands over the £65 and I leave.

Look at my watch when I get outside - 1:25 pm

Now someone's telling porkies, and I still enjoy smoking
Old 30 June 2004, 06:07 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Recently had quite a long course of Hypnotherapy to stop me getting so stressed. I was always a sceptic and firmly believed I would never be able to 'go under'.

Well according to a meter the guy had me rigged up to I was in a state of deep hypnosis from the first session - in fact he said the next deeper state was where people could be operated on whilst under.

I always felt in control, could remember everything from each session, was aware of my surroundings, could here external noises (traffic, etc) and never felt like I was 'under'. In fact the only way I knew I was hypnotised was at the end of the sessions when he would count down from 10 to 1 and I had to open my eyes when he got to 1. I could barely get my eyes open, they felt like lead - as if I had been in a deep, deep sleep - and I felt quite dazed afterwards for a good hour or so.

I also cried briefly in two sessions when talking about a girlfriend that died. I can never normally cry so it must have been doing something.

Having said all that I am not convinced that the sessions ultimately helped me that much, but I'm glad I tried anyway, even though it cost me a fair bit.
Old 30 June 2004, 06:10 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

my dads been in theatre when surgery has been performed on someone under hypnosis with no anaesthetic at all
Old 30 June 2004, 07:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

my m8 was hypnotised by Barry Sinclair(think thats his name) - M8 was prancing round the stage pretending to be Eminem etc etc. To this day he doesn't believe that he did it - He remembers clasping his hands together and then waking up on the stage 2 hours later