Fitness Advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 06:27 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitness Advice

Hi all,

Firstly apologies for the long post but having reviewed other posts it would seem there are quite a few knowledgeable people on here.

I'm 6ft 3 and 14 stone. I run 2.5 miles a day (at 9pm) at an easy to moderate pace. One of those days is a 5 mile run at 9 min mile pace. (5 miles in 45 minutes).

I also do light weight training every other day and have 1 day off of exercise completely once a week.

I've been losing weight gradually over the last few months. My eating is normally consists of:

Breakfast

Small Bowl of Cereal

Mid Morning Snack

Two slices of toast and margarine

Lunch

A BIG bowl of cereal with semi skimmed milk

Mid Afternoon Snack

Packet of crisps (mini cheddars)

Tea

Normally just oven crap like Oven chips, breaded chicken breast and peas or beans

Low fat mouse for Afters

Late Evening Snack

Small bowl of cereal with Semi Skimmed Milk

I've found recently that during exercise I'm getting knackered pretty quickly and my overall fitness doesn't seem to be improving. I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough.

I've recently joined an online fitness program which has suggested the following. I've got NO idea when it comes to this sort of thing. I was hoping some expert here might have an idea if these seems right?

This is what is suggested based on my weight, height and age:

For best results, you should spread your calorie intake evenly throughout the day in 5 to 7 meals.

You should try to eat 2800 calories per day, divided into meals of 576 calories per meal. Since your lean mass equals 178 pounds, try to get at least this many grams of protein each day.

Daily Total:

Carbs - 296 Grams
Protein - 224 Grams
Fat - 89 Grams
Total - 609 Grams

Per Meal:

Carbs - 59 Grams
Protein - 45 Grams
Fat - 18 Grams
Total - 122 Grams

Based on your body weight, you need to drink 4 litres ( ) water each day:

REMEMBER:
Protein calculations are based on a figure of 2.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight
Carbs and protein each have 4 calories per gram
Fat has 9 calories per gram
Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night
Avoid eating high glycemic carbs, or simple carbs, such as sugar, fruit,
sweets, or cakes except right after weight training

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Chump
Old 25 June 2004, 08:03 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

im not sure exactly what you're asking as you didnt' have any specific questions.. so i'll make some observations and responses to stuff you've said. feel free to question or rip apart any of my comments...

frankly, your diet is not that great:

Small Bowl of Cereal
what kind of cereal? frosted flakes are quite different to oatmeal tbh tho, u need a complete protein source first thing in addition to the low gi carbs (and milk isnt fast enough absorbed).

Two slices of toast and margarine
what kind of toast? a tuna wholemeal sandwich would be better here.

A BIG bowl of cereal with semi skimmed milk
no have a proper meal.. like grilled chicken and veggies.

Packet of crisps (mini cheddars)
no.. have something that isnt empty calories.

Normally just oven crap like Oven chips, breaded chicken breast and peas or beans
have a proper dinner but limit the carbs this late. chicken and veggies is a good choice. drop the pudding.

Small bowl of cereal with Semi Skimmed Milk
carbs this late is bad... have a slow absorbing protein to last the night.

your diet is missing complete protein sources. try to take in some at every meal. base your carbs around low-gi sources (brown rice, oats etc). make sure to take in good fats too. oily fish is a good source of this. so is flax.

you're also missing all signs of vitamins and minerals from your diet (i saw no veggies for example). take a vit pill once a day.

I've found recently that during exercise I'm getting knackered pretty quickly and my overall fitness doesn't seem to be improving. I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough.
its probably more that you're taking in the wrong kind of stuff. if i ate what you listed above, id probably collapse within a day of it. this is whats limiting your fitness.

You should try to eat 2800 calories per day
this is what they estimate you need to MAINTAIN your weight. since you want to cut up.. drop 500 calories off that total. however they've listed 2800 as a GUESS. they have no idea how your metabolism works.. only you do. so experiment. i would say start with 2500 calories split over 6 meals or so.. and if you lose less than 1lb a week, drop the cals slightly.. and if you lose more than 2lbs a week.. bump up cals a little.

the advice you were given at the bottom (avoiding cakes, getting sleep etc) is solid advice.

and drop "light" weight training. go heavy instead. it burns more calories and builds muscle (which in turn speeds up your metabolism).

so yeah.. good luck
Old 25 June 2004, 09:40 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Milo,

Cheers for all the advice mate. Sorry for the lack of a direct question - i was more after general advice which you've given.

All that you've said seems to make sense. Looks like I'll be making some drastic changes to my diet....

Thanks again......knew i could rely on SN

Chump
Old 25 June 2004, 09:41 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

no probs.

let us know how it goes.

and if you want to post a revised diet or workout schedule up at some point, i'll take a look at that too or whatever.
Old 25 June 2004, 09:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by chump
Low fat mouse for Afters
Not sure how much this is helping. Could be carrying some fleas, toxins or bacteria that keep your fitness below optimum.

Is that factory farmed, or free-range caught by your cat?
Old 25 June 2004, 09:52 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

probably same as milo picked up in, 4 carb meals
Old 25 June 2004, 09:53 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Not sure how much this is helping. Could be carrying some fleas, toxins or bacteria that keep your fitness below optimum.

Is that factory farmed, or free-range caught by your cat?
its actually ok.. as long as it's cooked in oil... to stop it squeaking obviously

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2004, 10:15 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Low fat mouse for Afters

Oops