Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should cats owners be responsible for their cat's actions?
Yes
53.85%
No
46.15%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Should cat owners be legally responsible for thier pets actions?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 09:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should cat owners be legally responsible for thier pets actions?

Just to keep Jye happy

There have been some rather heated debates about cats in the past, that usually results in the thread getting locked.

<GeneralisationMode>
It seems that the cat lovers assume that if you don't have a cat and think the way they do then you hate cats and have some kind of death wish against them.
</GeneralisationMode>

I don't think this is the case, I don't have an issue with cats as such, it is the owners that I have a problem with. If cats are left to roam "wild" then they will do what cats do, kill birds and rodents and crap wherever suits them.

So the question is, taking in to account the indescriminate killing of cats, the fact that they will crap anywhere they feel like and that they carry diseases that can affect humans, should legislation be introduced, similar to that of dogs:
1) They should not be allowed to roam free, they must be on a lead if they are not inside or in a contained outdoor run, otherwise they will be impounded.
2) Owners should be responsible for picking up thier mess, with a £250 fine for failure to comply.

There are other rules governing dogs, banned breeds, muzzles etc, but those are the 2 big bug bears I have and would like to see implemented and backed up by law.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:40 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
they must be on a lead if they are not inside
pmsl

lovely image of butch guys in white vests taking their cats for a walk on a little lead.

Old 21 June 2004, 09:41 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

theres no way your gonna get a cat locked up or impounded, its a free roaming wild animal always wil be, dont see how an owner could be responsible for its actions regrading pooping but obviously an owner should be responsible if say the cat caught and killed the neighbours fluffy lil bunny

dogs is obviously a different matter...
Old 21 June 2004, 09:42 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Just like all the responsible dog owners eh

Old 21 June 2004, 09:46 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You missed out the voting option of "goddam stupid question".

A cat is already legally considered as the "property" of it's owner. Unlike a dog, a cat is legally equal to something like a tree in your garden. So if your tree falls on a neighbours greenhouse, you get sued for damages right? If your cat eats a neighbours fish, you get sued for damages. Evidence would be needed, like a flattened greenhouse, or a pic of cat eating fish (or at least watching the fish with menaces).
Old 21 June 2004, 09:47 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I would like to add that the proposed law would include clarification of the term domestic pet when applied to cats, ie. it should be classified as a domestic pet and controlled as such otherwise it would constitute a non indigenous animal that has been released to roam which is already illegal.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:48 AM
Zedhead
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 21 June 2004, 09:51 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

OTOH, if you run over a dog, you have to stop and report the accident to the police. AFAIK, if you run over a cat you can just carry on as though nothing had happened. Fortunately, the only thing that i have ever run over was a pheasant. As i was doing a ton, what remained wasn't edible, regrettably.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:51 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

What a silly poll. Only on SN eh

BTW as there are millions of cat owners in the UK (the UK's most popular pet now) I cant see the government wasting time on this, ever.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:53 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

LOLOL

As ajm has already said, despite the whinging by cat haters, 'They' don't know if you can hold an owner responsible already. So until someone who is so outraged by cats actually finds this out rather than prattling on about it on SN I'm afraid the anti-cat arguments are rather flawed in my eyes.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:54 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I don't have a big problem with cats per se, but their mess on my garden infuriates me. Difficult to impose legislation on such an independent animal though.

Last edited by TelBoy; 21 June 2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:57 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

^^ What he said^^

John.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:58 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
OTOH, if you run over a dog, you have to stop and report the accident to the police. AFAIK, if you run over a cat you can just carry on as though nothing had happened. Fortunately, the only thing that i have ever run over was a pheasant. As i was doing a ton, what remained wasn't edible, regrettably.
Stopping & picking it up would be illegal anyway, it is classed as poaching, which is punishable by imprisonment

It is the person following that gets to take it home for consumption, & BTW your 'mashed' pheasant tasted lovely

PS Back to the original topic, I take Nick's option.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

pmsl

lovely image of butch guys in white vests taking their cats for a walk on a little lead.

Seen enough with Poodles over the years. Besides, if your embarassed by your pet, why have it?
Old 21 June 2004, 10:03 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
LOLOL

As ajm has already said, despite the whinging by cat haters, 'They' don't know if you can hold an owner responsible already. So until someone who is so outraged by cats actually finds this out rather than prattling on about it on SN I'm afraid the anti-cat arguments are rather flawed in my eyes.
How is it flawed? It is proven that they are a nuisance to some people and that they are detrimental to indigenous wildlife. Whether or not I could or should follow a successful lawsuit to reclaim damages is immaterial - if the thing had not been negligently released in the first place I wouldn't have damages to seek!
Old 21 June 2004, 10:04 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

easy solition if u dont like the neighbours cat poo in your garden, get a dog
Old 21 June 2004, 10:04 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
theres no way your gonna get a cat locked up or impounded, its a free roaming wild animal always wil be, dont see how an owner could be responsible for its actions regrading pooping but obviously an owner should be responsible if say the cat caught and killed the neighbours fluffy lil bunny

dogs is obviously a different matter...
Hold on a minute, if it is wild then surely it would be cruel to keep it in captivity inside at all?? Does this mean you are all now illegally trading in wild animals?? Cool lets get all the cat owners arrested And if it is wild, it is not indiginous and is causing problems with the native animals, much like Kane Toads and so on in Australia, time to start an immediate cat cull

Come on, let's be realistic now, the moggy you have at home is a pet, you are responsible for it and should take good care of it. Don't you think we should prosecute any cat owner if their cat is found dead in public on the grounds of cruality to the cat as the owner has not taken good care of it??
Old 21 June 2004, 10:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Just like all the responsible dog owners eh

Looks more like cat **** to me

I never said ALL dog owners were responsible, but they can be fined £250 if they do not clean up after their pet. The same does not apply to cats
Old 21 June 2004, 10:07 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
What a silly poll. Only on SN eh

BTW as there are millions of cat owners in the UK (the UK's most popular pet now) I cant see the government wasting time on this, ever.
I can, probably when its too late though. Australia are already considering legislation to counter the problem there.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:07 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

OTOH, if you run over a dog, you have to stop and report the accident to the police.
It is no longer a legal requirement by law to report this. Advisable to though, just in case of further implications.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:08 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ajm
How is it flawed? It is proven that they are a nuisance to some people and that they are detrimental to indigenous wildlife. Whether or not I could or should follow a successful lawsuit to reclaim damages is immaterial - if the thing had not been negligently released in the first place I wouldn't have damages to seek!
Based on this assumption, all southerners should be subjected to controls, as they are of French origin, and they & their ancestors have had a severely detrimental effect on the indigenous human & wildlife populations of the entire planet

Besides having discussed the matter with my cat, she prefers the terms 'population control' & 'survival of the fittest'.
Jye
Scooby Regular

From the Dog Fouling Bill, just to balance the argument that cat **** is the only **** that causes health and social problems. And OllyK, for every owner that picks up their dogs ****e there are probably 1000's that dont. Cats do bury their ****e as you stated, so very rarely would I imagine the problems below could be caused by cats in this case.

9. Dog faeces contain, amongst other things, parasitic worm eggs (e.g. roundworm). If
these worm eggs find their way onto human hands there is a risk of them being ingested and this can lead to tissue damage and, in some cases, severe and permanent sight loss. Amongst those who are most at risk are children, users of manually operated wheel chairs and those who participate in active sports such as football and rugby.

10. Once ingested, the worm eggs will hatch and release their larvae. The larvae can
penetrate the gut lining and migrate to various parts of the body leading to toxocariasis. There are two possible forms of toxocariasis - visceral larva migrans (VLM) which affects the body’s organs, and ocular larva migrans (OLM) which affects the eyes.

11. Some of the more common symptoms of VLM include headaches, sore throat and aching arms and legs (due to the movement of the worms throughout the body). The more serious symptoms of VLM include pneumonia and asthma.

12. OLM occurs when the hatched larvae lodges in the eye. This can cause inflammation, and scarring of the retina is likely to occur during the healing process. In America 700 people a year who have been infected with toxocariasis experience permanent partial loss of vision.

13. The incubation period can be weeks or months depending on the infective dose and the sensitivity of the patient. Eye symptoms can occur as late as 4 to 10 years after the initial infection. The eggs themselves can remain infective for up to 2 years before being ingested.

14. Other diseases that can be contracted by contact with dog faeces include salmonella, campylobacter, leptospira canicola and E-coli 0157
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OTOH, if you run over a dog, you have to stop and report the accident to the police. AFAIK, if you run over a cat you can just carry on as though nothing had happened.
Very true!!
ajm
Scooby Regular

I see Jye has used all his aliases in the poll! LOL!
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
It is no longer a legal requirement by law to report this. Advisable to though, just in case of further implications.

One being you'll meet (sp) it again in your local Thai restaurant...
Old 21 June 2004, 10:10 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ajm
I see Jye has used all his aliases in the poll! LOL!

LOL - Jye yer berk. The poll doesn't *matter*, honest!!
Old 21 June 2004, 10:10 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

LOL @ ajm
Old 21 June 2004, 10:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
From the Dog Fouling Bill, just to balance the argument that cat **** is the only **** that causes health and social problems. And OllyK, for every owner that picks up their dogs ****e there are probably 1000's that dont. Cats do bury their ****e as you stated, so very rarely would I imagine the problems below could be caused by cats in this case.

9. Dog faeces contain, amongst other things, parasitic worm eggs (e.g. roundworm). If
these worm eggs find their way onto human hands there is a risk of them being ingested and this can lead to tissue damage and, in some cases, severe and permanent sight loss. Amongst those who are most at risk are children, users of manually operated wheel chairs and those who participate in active sports such as football and rugby.

10. Once ingested, the worm eggs will hatch and release their larvae. The larvae can
penetrate the gut lining and migrate to various parts of the body leading to toxocariasis. There are two possible forms of toxocariasis - visceral larva migrans (VLM) which affects the body’s organs, and ocular larva migrans (OLM) which affects the eyes.

11. Some of the more common symptoms of VLM include headaches, sore throat and aching arms and legs (due to the movement of the worms throughout the body). The more serious symptoms of VLM include pneumonia and asthma.

12. OLM occurs when the hatched larvae lodges in the eye. This can cause inflammation, and scarring of the retina is likely to occur during the healing process. In America 700 people a year who have been infected with toxocariasis experience permanent partial loss of vision.

13. The incubation period can be weeks or months depending on the infective dose and the sensitivity of the patient. Eye symptoms can occur as late as 4 to 10 years after the initial infection. The eggs themselves can remain infective for up to 2 years before being ingested.

14. Other diseases that can be contracted by contact with dog faeces include salmonella, campylobacter, leptospira canicola and E-coli 0157

Yup I am well aware of this, hence why there are laws about picking it up, and as stated, I do. The problem is that much of what you stated also applies to cats and some other things to boot.

Most of the cats round our way are sadly lax ad burying their crap, they dig the hole, up-rooting plants but seem to fail to cover it back over. And to be honest when you are hoeing the garden and get cat **** all over the hoe, even if they had buried it, it wouldn't be much of a consolation.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:12 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Wait until my GF reads this, it will be 1000 - 1 in her office
Old 21 June 2004, 10:13 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Most of the cats round our way are sadly lax ad burying their crap
Well the cats round your area might be lax, but the ones round my way are all expert miners

Quick Reply: Should cat owners be legally responsible for thier pets actions?