Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any dentists / Folk who've had teeth out??

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 10:30 AM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Any dentists / Folk who've had teeth out??

Well on Tuesday afternoon I got 2 of my wisdom teeth removed. (back left top & botttom)

Now the thing is, the top hasn't been sore at all, but now 4 days later the bottom one is still a bit tender and sore.(Not unbearable though)

I'm also getting a horrible taste in my mouth aswell from the bottom extraction. My dad seems to think it's the root that I'm tasting but i'm not too sure....

Anyone have any similar experiences? Really don't fancy a trip back! lol...took me 9 years to get there in the first place!

Cheers

- Bee
Old 19 June 2004, 10:49 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I had all my widsom teeth out last year, I got a minor infection in the gaps left behind. I was given a strong mouth wash from the doc for a week - since then its been perfect - wish I'd had mine done years ago as well!

Nick
Old 19 June 2004, 10:54 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

I got some proper `dental pain killers` from Boots, worked a treat.

Bee, I know how you feel about dentists. The only good thing about going to mine is that she`s rather tasty

Neil.
Old 19 June 2004, 10:55 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

It won't be the root, that will have gone with the rest of the tooth. When I had mine out I had to gently hold a mouthful of warm salt water over the hole three times a day, taking care not to dislodge the blood clot to prevent any infection from setting in.
Old 19 June 2004, 12:29 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Had a wisdom tooth out a week ago yesterday and was on painkillers for a few days and thought things were improving. 3 days ago the socket and surrounding area became very tender and painful though I didn't notice a bad taste. Up unitl then the hole had been blocked witha blood clot (normal, apparently).Had a good look the other night and fished out what I thought was a tooth fragment, whole area looked very swollen. Saw my dentist yesterday and she said it wasn't a tooth fragment more likely a piece of bone and all the swelling was an infection in the socket. So, I'm now dosed up with anitbiotics, had the hole packed with iodine impregnated fibres (tastes awful but reduces the inflamation) and been told to keep up the saline mouth washes.

I reckon you've got an infection. Get back to your dentist, get the socket hosed out and packed and take a course of tablets. Should do the trick.

Neil - totally agree about having a fit dentist. Dulls the pain no end

Mark
Old 19 June 2004, 03:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

seems this infection thing is quite common? fell a bit of a woman moaning about this as it's only a filling i've had done, but it's not been right since it was done (6 weeks ago). hurt drinking/eating on it, had a bit ground off last friday.
really painfull problems now, night before last it flares up and keeps me awake all night and last night was just a **** take, woke up at 12 in agony,got to sleep at 6 this morning! cried like a baby for the first time in years and actually punched myself in the face to try and knock the tooth out (really stoopid i know, but it's the closest i've been to delirious in my life).

best bit is, dentist isn't open until tuesday got some antibiotics and pain killers from the doctors this morning, so maybe that will help until he can see me. fingers crossed.
Old 19 June 2004, 04:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'll go along with the infection diagnosis too. Had 2 wisdom teeth removed, one of which was impacted and snapped on removal. The dentist had to remove the roots by drilling. I then managed to burst the stitches and it didn't heal right and became infected. I also had swelling and pain and a nasty taste, which is actually puss I'm afraid!

Get yourself back to the dentist because if you leave it too long it could form a nasty abscess or worse. He will probably give you a broad spectrum antibiotic like metronidazole.

In my case, after a course of antibiotics, the wound eventually shed some shards of bone, after which it healed up very quickly.

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2004, 04:11 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yep, almost certainly an infection, get back to the dentist asap as it'll only get worse
Old 19 June 2004, 04:12 PM
MarvSTi5
Scooby Regular

Feel quite lucky reading these threads !!

Had a tooth out a couple of weeks ago and I too had what felt like a bit of tooth sticking out of the gum/hole (call it what you will) - got that fed up with it and wasn't going back to the dentist so pulled it out myself with tweezers!! End of irritation and discomfort No probs at all now!!

Hope you all recover soon tho
Old 19 June 2004, 04:28 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply folks...I'll give it the rest of the weeekend and see how it goes and take it from there. It's not an unbearable pain but just irritating...

I'll keep you posted! lol...

- Bee
Old 19 June 2004, 07:32 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Phone your dentist...he will have a number for Emergency dentist (If he is part of an Emergency rota system - on the answering machine). They will be able to look at it and prescribe you some antibiotics. You have what is called a dry socket. Warm salt water (One teaspoon of salt dissolved in warm water) will help but will not cure the problem neither will painkillers. If you do not get an emergency number from the dentist wait until Monday then call him. It is unlikely to be a root left behing or the dentist would have informed you. Something hard in the hold is probably a piece of bone. The dentist will know for certain by taking an x-ray. The warm salt water you swill around in the area then hold it over the hole for a while then spit it out. Do that with each mouthfull until you finish the glass. You want to do that at least after ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO EAT and more often if possible. If you get a swelling on the side of your face DO NOT put anything hot on it PUT SOMETHING COLD ON IT. That will draw the infecion into your mouth so you can spit it out. PUT SOMETHING HOT ON THE SIDE AND YOU WILL MAKE THE WHOLE THING WORSE. If you get a swelling on the side of your face that starts to affect your neck, affects your swallowing and starts to prevent you from opening your mouth GET STRAIGHT DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL A&E DO NOT LEAVE IT OVERNIGHT.

If you need anymore advice you can PM me.
Old 19 June 2004, 07:34 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I meant 'something hard in the hole' not 'the hold'!!!
Old 19 June 2004, 08:37 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I had 4 wisdoms and another tooth out in one hit, no odd tastes afterwards, but I was reccomended some mouthwash, back in work in 2 days . I'm no dentist, but I had an abcess in my gum when I was a wee sprout - the smell and taste are foul, If I were you I'd get it looked at, as said above.

If I had any wisdom teeth left,I'd have it done again, not a particularly pleasant experience, but the post-op pain (I like soup anyway )was outweighed by the pre-op general anaestetic - to anyone that is nervous of this operation, I would say get it done. The sensation of a general is very bizzare - as you go in you are nervous anyway, the anaethstatist I got was excellent, as were the nurses prior to being wheeled in, they were all very proffessional.

I never saw the sheryringe[sp?] empty, but don't worry, you won't either , that's the beuty of the drugs you get to wipe you out while they do the biz...., you go to sleep ultra chilled, you then wake up ultra chilled - ( usually via an anti-sedative, [double] ) - the best bit, ( for the NHS ) is that you can't really remember any of it.
Old 20 June 2004, 12:23 AM
GSM21
Scooby Regular

Hi All, very interesting topic, about 10 years ago i was told by dentist when the time comes i will be needing my wisdoms out as there going to be no room for them to come through, was just wondering what age when you had yours out?
Old 20 June 2004, 03:09 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Wisdom teeth these days are not taken out unless they are causing problems. Those are the guidelines anyway. In the past they were taken out whether causing problems or not...that is not the case now.
Old 20 June 2004, 03:28 AM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Aaquil YHPM...

- Bee
Old 20 June 2004, 03:56 AM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Aaqil - No space in your PM box mate..

- Bee
Old 20 June 2004, 04:00 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I've got rid of soem mate...try again
Old 20 June 2004, 04:01 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

'Some' I mean!!! Too early in the morning.
Old 20 June 2004, 04:16 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Have you gone to sleep mate...I'm waiting for your reply?!!! I'll give you another few minutes.
Old 20 June 2004, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No need to feel sensitive about going back to the dentist. If there is an infection then the sooner it is treated the better. Your dentist will say the same thing I bet.

Les
Old 20 June 2004, 06:25 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Relief!

Aaquil, Just like to say a massive thank you for all the info you've given me...got an appointment @ the emergency dentist this AM and he had a good old prod around cleaning out the socket!

What a relief mate! Down side is he filled it with some anit-bacterial stuff that tastes AWFUL!...still beats the pain!

Thanks again for the help...much appreciated!

- Bee

p.s...sorry if I kept you up!
Old 20 June 2004, 11:47 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Didn't keep me up for that long after...I hope it gets better soon. The stuff is called Alvogel. Its full of all sorts of things that will make it better. It tastes awful I know... don't smell that nice either. It will dissolve away itself. Did the dentist give you some Antibiotics?
Old 21 June 2004, 03:40 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Had a root filling on Tuesday and been in agony ever since.

Double abscess and incompetant private dentist has left me feeling suicidal all weekend.

Also had to cancel a holiday next week as I can't afford to risk tooth ache whilst abroad, although the irony is that I would probably get a better dentist in Spain.
Old 21 June 2004, 01:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had three wisdom teeth out under a general, big job apparently and I suspect the surgeon knelt on my chest judging by the bruise I had, impacted the lot, anyway it got infected and the doc flushed it out with saline and all manor of gore (and pot noodle) came out then she pacted it with the anti bacterial stuff which I think is uneccesary but gives them the chance to exact some revenge, like creosote soaked cotton it was, made me gag or days, it would be ok for a while and then you dislodge a bit, took days to clear the taste but all is well now.

Remember coming around and feeling great, we nipped to the shops and I was under strict orders to wait in the car, bit groggy and full of pain killers but ok, decided to nip into WHSmiths for a magazine and get caught by the missus, went to the counter and pid, wondered why the lady on the counter looked at me a bit funny,

I had blood dribbling from one side of my mouth and dripping onto my shirt !
Old 21 June 2004, 10:47 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Gooner have you been back to your dentist...its quite common after a Root treatment for things to sometimes flare up as you tend to stir up the bacteria. They get active and hey presto abcess. You will probably need a course of antibiotics and some pain relief. PM me and I can give you some more advice if you like.
Old 23 June 2004, 10:37 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Hi Aaquil,

I found a superb new dentist in Southampton and he told me that in his experience 50% of root fillings can become infected after treatment, as you rightly point out.

Unfortunate chain of events, but the first dentist had no partners and was at Ascot when the tooth flared up so I had to wait 48 hours, then proceeded to drain only one abscess and didn't see the other so things just got worse at the weekend.

6 days of tooth abcess...

Pain is too small a word to describe what I was feeling.
Old 24 June 2004, 11:17 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Aaquil, never got any antibiotics mate but what a diff since I got the dry socket sorted! All is good. Again, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

- Bee
Old 24 June 2004, 11:33 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Isn't clove oil something that can be put in sockets to ease the grief?

Tastes vile and you spend more time spitting it out which probably takes your mind off other things...