Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Latest Mastercard / Visa Scam

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 07:43 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Latest Mastercard / Visa Scam

Before you ask - this hasn't come via the usual junk /chain email, but from Martin Lewis' well respected website Money Saving Expert.

"VISA AND MASTERCARD SCAM WARNING

VISA AND MASTERCARD SECURITY SCAM! BEWARE

The Scam.
You get a call from Visa/Mastercard security department pretending you've been defrauded and asking for details

The Result
You give them your details and they take your cash

The way to prevent it
NEVER give out your details to someone who calls you - always find out the organisations legit phone number (don't ask them - call Directory Enquiries (article on cheapest here)

The following is an example of the typical conversation when they try and do this. It was received from a MoneySaver who’d been called. These people tend to work from a script, so it is very plausible and believable.

The phone rings: This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device/Any expensive item for £ 497.99 from a marketing company based in Anywhere?"

When you say "No". The caller continues with,

"Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards.

Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say, "Yes". The caller continues . . .

”I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security, you will need to refer to this Control #".

Then gives you a 6 digit number.

"Do you need me to read it again?"

Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234 whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers."

Then he says

"That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security dept. He told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short. We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing as a new number.

What the scam wants is the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep Charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report."

I am very wary on anyone asking about such details, but some people are not. Be warned....

Chris
Old 18 June 2004, 07:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

this is a scam that only works on the very retarded...in fact it might as well be an urban myth as to fall for this you'd have to be too retarded to have a card in the first place.

"im from Visa" who the hell would fall for that???? no mention of the bank/company?

might as well say "im from cash...send me some"
Old 18 June 2004, 08:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Agree with Tiggs, unusually so.

You plainly have to be a real dimlow to believe anybody calling.

Just tell them if they are genuine to write a letter, followed by, goodbye.
Old 18 June 2004, 08:10 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just bear in mind that during a recent survey at Liverpool St Station, something like 80% of people when asked gave up details such as passwords and pin codes in return for free gift. Yes, people are this gullible, that's why scams work! I work in IT security - social engineering is one of the biggest problems. This sort of thing will be successful!

Chris
Old 18 June 2004, 08:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Chris- I can believe it will, simply because of the amount of thick bastárds you encounter on a daily basis.

Hey, and it's not getting any better.
Old 18 June 2004, 11:16 PM
Cabinet Enforcer
Scooby Regular

Well, the only bright side is that as long as there are plenty gullible people in the world, then at least the thieves won't have to get clever enough to scam thee and me
Old 18 June 2004, 11:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Scams are always blindingly obvious to those that can see through them! People can be amazingly trusting. If you look at the wording, it's quite clever and very plausable.

You wouldn't think it would be possible for people to get taken in by the old Nigerian transfer of funds email, but it still happens! I think there will be plenty who will fall foul of this one.

Chris
Old 18 June 2004, 11:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=visa
Old 19 June 2004, 01:50 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

What gets me is mickey mouse sites (can't think of specifics at the moment) asking for mothers maiden name as security password. **** off is what I say, the only people I give that to is banks, not some tom dick or harry thinking its a good security question!
Old 19 June 2004, 02:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Guys - you aint seen gullible until you are trying to sort someone out who has signed up a fixed rate mortgage for 10 years at 4.00%..............A FEKIN MONTH
Old 19 June 2004, 11:44 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I hadn't seen the original - thanks David. Just goes to prove a point.

fast bloke - what's the APR on that then?

Chris
Old 19 June 2004, 12:09 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

The stupid thing is that while the credit card companies are telling us to be wary of anyone asking for personal details, the same bloody companies use their marketing departments to call you and ask for your D.O.B. or whetever to confirm that they are speaking to the right person.
Old 19 June 2004, 04:04 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

gsm1: Couldnt agree with you more. I used to do it and had to identify the customer before i could speak to them. Seems a bit ridiculous when YOURE ringing them at THEIR HOME. Had so many arguments with my over dim-witted superiors who would just reply 'we do it because 'we have to' '.
Old 19 June 2004, 11:40 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

matt, I just tell them I'm not disclosing any information and most have been pretty understanding about it. Seems the world of financial services is so desperate to sell that next loan, credit card, re-mortgage, insurance etc. that preventing fraud doesn't seem that important.