Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LAST LONGER OIL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 06:59 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LAST LONGER OIL!!!

Just found this coul be a good bet for clean Scooby oil!!
Gadget To Clean Up Oil's Act

oil changes will become a thing of the past if a revolutionary filter system delivers on its promises. The on-board 'refinery' scrubs the lubricant clean so it never gets dirty, say the Swedish inventors of the COT Oil Processor. The gadget has been tested on Scania trucks and Volvo marine units for the past year. A retro-fit version for cars works by taking a continuous flow from the engine oil line and removing the contaminants. Particles in the liquid that are bigger than one micron are removed by a special cotton-based filter. Unwanted fluids such as water are evaporated away by a miniature boiler.

But at £200 a unit and £15 for each replaceable cotton filter, it's not cheap. Thomas Lovenskiold of COT said: "It won't save you money until you've done 125,000 miles." But it should cut service times and oil use, plus extend the engine's life. The first units will be sold in Sweden in November, and will arrive here next year.
dave
Old 18 June 2004, 07:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hmmm sounds good. But remember oil degrades on it's own anyway. Also contamination from petrol caused by cold starting, short journeys and over-rich mixtures. Blow-by by products along with petrol also mix and react to create acids, which corrode, and contribute to sludge and foaming.

Unless that boiler thing can get rid of all that too - which it doesn't mention....just water.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:54 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Code:
Scania trucks and Volvo marine units for the past year
both diesels for testing, so maybe petrols' not practical, but it sounds like a good idea for the environment. Think of all the plastic we can make with spare oil !

any links?
Old 18 June 2004, 07:56 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'm reliably told by someone reasonably high up at Total (Fina, Elf etc) that modern oils don't really go off as such, the only need to do an oil change is to get rid of dirt, water build up, bits of engine etc!

Some of the cheaper oils, Comma I believe is one though I'm not sure, recycle oil, ie they take used engine oil, get the crap out and resell it!

I can imagine the above system being of use to the comercial world but I suspect it'll be some time before it filters down to the private user.
Old 18 June 2004, 09:15 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oil is the life blood of your engine,there is no substitute for regular oil and filter changes and always use a good quality oil.An old college lecturer couldn't stress this enough and it's a lot of sense.
The scoob guzzles fuel down gallons at a time every week,costing a blooming fortune,so another £50 for some decent oil and filter every 2-3 months wont kill ya!!

p.s dinnae pour yer old oil doon the drain either, as the greenies wont like that
Old 19 June 2004, 10:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an interesting bit of kit but I still think that changing the oil every 3K miles is the best way and the cost would not be so different taking everything into account. This is such a good engine that it is well worth taking that extra bit of care with it.

Engines always run more smoothly just after an oilchange anyway so it must prove something.

Les
Old 19 June 2004, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Engines always run more smoothly just after an oilchange anyway so it must prove something.
My old XR3 used to run worse!! Every time, during the same week, do a cold start and it'll run on 3 cylinders - tappets kept pumping up (early sticky valve Zetec). IMO it's just a placebo effect. Some garages are known to put some "fuel system conditioner" in the tank whilst it's being serviced, which basically is just octane booster with a fancy label.

And seeing Scooby engines have such delicate big end bearings (being half the usual size for a 4 cylinder engine). You can beat regular changes, especially if the oil is subjected to extreme temperatures that cause it to break down (modified engine + hard use + Turbo = hot oil).
Old 19 June 2004, 06:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Fiat Coupe Turbo, Fiat have been very clever ensuring that it always has fresh oil, make sure it burns about half a litre a week so you have to top it up thus meaning your oil is always fresh.

They just now need a way to get new piston rings in easily.....
Old 19 June 2004, 07:16 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i thought it was gonna be how to desensitise your ding dong so u can last longer
Old 19 June 2004, 07:20 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

how to desensitise your ding dong so u can last longer
moses, I'll send you a picture of the missus, if that doesent do it, nothing will
Old 19 June 2004, 08:22 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

lol thats sad u suppose to protect your lady from that kinda stuff
Old 19 June 2004, 08:54 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

heheh, think " predator " no mask, but she speaks english