Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

this is not good.. Mway speed traps :-(

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 10:02 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face this is not good.. Mway speed traps :-(

Ok we all do about 80-85 on the m1.. I've done this for 18 years doing 50-60k miles per year... and in that time i've seen everything imaginable...
Accidents mainly caused by bad lane dicipline and muppets driving too close... Not a good idea!

Any how in this time i've seen the police use various methods of catching speeding traffic... more recently parked on the raised police ramp with the gun.. but oh dear its all got a bit under hand of late...

Get this.. J25 M1 traffic enforcment van parked on the junction at the top near the roundabout but completely out of site... two long cables running to the cams on tripods... that were just peeping over some bushes... I went around twice to check this out... and on the slip road- two cars waiting to pounce!

Then yesterday the same at J30, this time the cams were on the bridge but just over the top of the railing, the van was way off to the right... not visible.. two bikes and a car were on the entry slip and one guy in a mundano had just been tugged.. by a car further down the road.

I'll put my cam in the car and take some pics next time... that bis too sneaky

Bstaaaaaarrrrds

Looks like it going to be 75 max from now on...
Old 16 June 2004, 10:04 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Sounds like ANPR to me, and not speed cameras.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:06 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BuRR
Sounds like ANPR to me, and not speed cameras.
ANPR???????? wots that...

no m8 they were pulling people, and it had Nottingshire safty cam stickers on it! for defo Speed enforcement...
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm 4th pic down..

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 16 June 2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:09 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Automatic Number Plate Recognition. e.g. a tool for identifying vehicles/owners. Can be used for spotting untaxed vehicles and (I think) people on Police watch-lists.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:09 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

automatic number plate recognition.... for pulling tax-dodgers and the like.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:13 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Red face

There were there last Wednesday as well, kaniving *****
i get on and off at J25 every night.

Luckily, it rush hour when i get so speeds are down anyway, and when i finish early in the morning there normally at the new granada services on the A453 near EMA, supping tea and chatting away.

Check out pic #14, blue Scooby in the background
that bugger is a stones throw away from the Hallowed turf on Nottingham Forest

Last edited by Dazza01; 16 June 2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 16 June 2004, 11:16 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

I regularliy pass over J15 on the M1. Northants police have their so called 'safety' camera van parked on the bridge - on the far side so you cant see it - picking people off as the pass by underneath. Seen the **** inside eating a banana zapping everyone!

That just aint cricket! We've also got a SPECS system in northamptom that measures average speed over 2 miles. So you see the usual 'slow down for the camera' drivers - all will get SP30's by the time they get home...

bah!
Old 17 June 2004, 08:32 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Notts Police have always been renowned for being sneaky like that. Before camera vans they happiliy used to hide a guy with a speed gun in the bushes so you couldn't see him and then have a police bike waiting a bit further down the road
Old 17 June 2004, 08:43 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

If it's a ramp and gun outfit (approx 1-2" lens on the front) do they still chase people they want to nobble or is it just sit and wait for the NIP? (prob North Yorks constabulary area)

Is it still maximum of a fortnight to get one through or have I heard that some things can be up to a year?

laser alert never made a squeak but then I wouldn't trust it anyway
Old 17 June 2004, 09:16 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

This is becoming a F%$king joke
Old 17 June 2004, 09:18 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
If it's a ramp and gun outfit (approx 1-2" lens on the front) do they still chase people they want to nobble or is it just sit and wait for the NIP? (prob North Yorks constabulary area)

Is it still maximum of a fortnight to get one through or have I heard that some things can be up to a year?

laser alert never made a squeak but then I wouldn't trust it anyway

Hope its still 14 days.

There was a camera van with 2 rear cutouts parked on the M1 hard shoulder 13 days ago before jn28 or 29 with a couple of cop cars and I was certainly exceeding 70 though was tucked in behind another and all 3 lanes were quite busy.

Mate in traffic said it might have been ANPR. I was too busy cussing myself to notice.

Nothing through the letter box so far. Heres hoping
Old 18 June 2004, 01:21 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Its just taking the PI$$, come on we all travel at 85mph on a motorway, its the norm.
Our cars are made to travel and be safe at high speeds.

Its the muppets in the old Whte D reg transit van with no MOT or Tax flat out at 55 mph with smoke and swerving about the lanes, they are the ones who should be caught.

Not the poor bugger who is sitting hapily in the BMW lane crusing along at 85.

Thing is, if you get right up the **** of the car infront the laser sqaud wont be able to pick you off. This is what i have been told.

So this kind of Laser pick offs is now forcing me to drive very close to the car infront so thaey cant pick me off.

This whole thing is getting out of hand, they must be spending/making so much money from peeps that travel at 85 on motorways.
Old 18 June 2004, 01:25 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
Looks like it's going to be 75 max from now on

The Police have therefore achieved their objective???
Old 18 June 2004, 01:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
The Police have therefore achieved their objective???
That depends on if the obbjective is to raise money or reduce speed. If the former then they have failed
Old 18 June 2004, 01:35 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Although not a fan of speed cameras, surely this is how the police should be doing it. If the public know that the police are using cameras, but have no idea where they are, then surely they are going to drive slower everywhere?

Sudden braking when seeing the police in a van or a gatso can be dangerous,so this may be the answer, unfortunately.

Geezer
Old 18 June 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

These camera's are a joke and I agree they take the p!ss. Just the comment about doing 75mph max - a Copper would see that and say "lovely lovey, see we were right" bite on doughnut with **** in hand.
Old 18 June 2004, 01:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Although not a fan of speed cameras, surely this is how the police should be doing it. If the public know that the police are using cameras, but have no idea where they are, then surely they are going to drive slower everywhere?

Sudden braking when seeing the police in a van or a gatso can be dangerous,so this may be the answer, unfortunately.

Geezer
I agree to an extent. The problem we have is we are trying to measure a Safe Speed in terms road type = X mph. This takes no account of the conditions which is a far bigger factor. No while I prefer the idea of having more Police out there who can use their discretion, the way things are set up at the moment pushes the Police towards being very strict rather than looking at the situation and making a value judgement.

Speeding is a behavioural issue, people in general will travel at a speed they consider to be safe for the prevailing conditions, faster when conditions are good and slower when they are poor on the same stretch of road. No we could argue that why not set the speed limits at the absolute maximum safe speed for that road?? Well for good reason as a proprtion of the puplic would take that as an invitation to drive at that speed regardless of the conditions. This is already happening where people are feeling they are safe as long as they are not exceeding an existing speed limit.

I would be much happier to see better driver training, drivers being taught better awarenes, hazard perception and road craft to make them safer drivers and become more self regulating in terms of driving to the conditions rather than penalising those who do make a value judgement based on experience and choose to travel a little faster than the posted limit.

I very rarely speed these days, mostly because the majority of my travelling is to and from work and the conditions do not provide the oppotunity to travel safetly at speeds above the posted limits. This is a value judgement on my behalf, and in many cases I am travelling quite a bit below the speed limits as I do not feel it safe to be travelling faster. The roads I travel on tend to have motorbikes zipping between the lanes and pass through a number of villages and yet other blindly carry on at the limist, oblivous to pedestrians at the road side, the motorbikes doing things they shouldn't be and so on.
Old 18 June 2004, 02:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the speed limit on a 3 lane motorway was raised to 85 mph I think that most people would probably use that as a top limit. Those who are going to blatantly drive at 3 figure speeds are going to anyway and should expect the same heavy penalties which already exist.

Les
Old 18 June 2004, 02:47 PM
witness
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is the police forces intention to raise money as that is not their job is it?? The cameras mentioned at the start of this thread is more likely to be a spped camera but in refernece to the ANPR they can be fixed to lamp posts also!! I find the ones that complain about the cameras are the ones that are speeding themselves and have no respect for the law.
Old 18 June 2004, 02:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If the speed limit on a 3 lane motorway was raised to 85 mph I think that most people would probably use that as a top limit. Those who are going to blatantly drive at 3 figure speeds are going to anyway and should expect the same heavy penalties which already exist.
Les
True, but that still leaves the issue that at times 85 mph is not a safe speed and people will think that it is because that's the limit. We need a culture / behaviour change first so people really do understand what "Speed Indication Markers" are about!!
Old 18 June 2004, 02:50 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You have to question the motives behind cameras etc? They are saying now that speed cameras are working, and not just there to earn money I dont think so somehow.

But why is this country so obsessed with having cameras everywhere
Old 18 June 2004, 02:51 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

When is 85mph not safe as opposed to 70mph?

If its busy, you get jams, if its not busy you can use your own sense to gauge an appropriate speed. If everyone moved over to the left lane after overtaking it would always be safe to do 85mph
Old 18 June 2004, 03:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
When is 85mph not safe as opposed to 70mph?

If its busy, you get jams, if its not busy you can use your own sense to gauge an appropriate speed. If everyone moved over to the left lane after overtaking it would always be safe to do 85mph
Really??? I am staying well away from you when there is 2 inches of snow on the motorway if you think it would "always be safe to do 85mph"

Granted 70mph wouldn't either, but in the same vein you could say if the motorway is empty and conditions are good then the maximum speed of the vehicle would be safe.

The speed figure is irrelevant, it is if it safe to travel at the speed you are travelling. This needs to take in to the conditions and your ability to come to a controlled stop in the distance you know to be clear ahead of you, and not an unchanging number that takes no account of these far more important factors.
Old 18 June 2004, 04:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

I think that our motorway speeds should be dropped to 30 mph.

What with many country roads i know of being dropped from national speed limits to 30 and 40 mph zones it surely must be a good idea to lop 40 mph speed off one of the worlds safest type of roads, ie British motorways.

Think of all the sandal wearing grey haired volvo drivers who could then drive at 20 mph in the outside lane.

85th percentile debate anybody? The continual obsession with cutting speed in this country is a complete farce.
Old 18 June 2004, 04:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I think that our motorway speeds should be dropped to 30 mph.

What with many country roads i know of being dropped from national speed limits to 30 and 40 mph zones it surely must be a good idea to lop 40 mph speed off one of the worlds safest type of roads, ie British motorways.

Think of all the sandal wearing grey haired volvo drivers who could then drive at 20 mph in the outside lane.

85th percentile debate anybody? The continual obsession with cutting speed in this country is a complete farce.
Another Safe Speed reader???
Old 18 June 2004, 04:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Another fu<ked off motorist
Old 18 June 2004, 04:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

lol While we have grey haired old grannies nutters at BRAKE whinging on and swallow all the balloney that the government spew out, I don't see things changing much.
Old 18 June 2004, 04:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just spent £400+ on new tyres today, £45 MOT last week, insurance £900 in a few months, £160 tax last week. ( plus £220 service and £560 warranty extension).

Think I won't bother with any of the above next year. Get an old banger and play dodgems down the high street, high as a kite safe in the knowlegde that the £10 fine won't dent my dole too much in the unlikely event that ill be caught.

I suppose as long as I keep the speed to 30 mph i wont get snapped by a camera.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:13 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

What's the future of fast cars? There's a horsepower war between the big German manufacturers with 'regular' saloon cars with 500+hp, but what's the point? It's so sad what's happening, and I'm worried what the future will bring.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:40 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Really??? I am staying well away from you when there is 2 inches of snow on the motorway if you think it would "always be safe to do 85mph"

Granted 70mph wouldn't either, but in the same vein you could say if the motorway is empty and conditions are good then the maximum speed of the vehicle would be safe.

The speed figure is irrelevant, it is if it safe to travel at the speed you are travelling. This needs to take in to the conditions and your ability to come to a controlled stop in the distance you know to be clear ahead of you, and not an unchanging number that takes no account of these far more important factors.
Well obviously snow is a different matter, hence my comments about "use your own [common] sense". But IMHO doing 85mph when there are a few cars around is no biggie

Quick Reply: this is not good.. Mway speed traps :-(