Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Harry Potter Film

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2004, 10:05 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harry Potter Film

saw it last night- if you like the books stay away from this! the best book has become the worst movie. if they didnt like the plot JKR used they should have used their own...not used 10% of hers and leave the rest missing.

T

ps- if you havent read the book stay away anyway- it wont make much sense without it!
Old 10 June 2004, 10:09 AM
SteveLegacyToo
Scooby Regular

I went with the kids, by far the worse. The first two were kids films, and could be enjoyed, well tolerated on that level.

This one tries to be a bit more grown up, but doesn't work as an adults film, as it's dtill about annoying ****** kids playing with magic ffs.

And talk about a hackeyed plot device.....back in time, I ask you!
Old 10 June 2004, 10:10 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I didn't mind this film. It's a lot darker than the other 2 and the loss of Richard Harris is quite tangible, although the new Dumbledore is better at playing the slightly darker character.

Didn't think it should have been a PG, though - the scene with Lupin & Sirius is quite scary for little ones, as the 3 in front of us were testiment.

Plot-wise, well...I think it bore a nodding glance towards the book, but yes, great gaping holes and continuity errors. It was a long film again though, so probably a lot was omitted in order to not make it a 4 hour epic.
Old 10 June 2004, 10:17 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cutting it to make it fit the film time slot is fine- but they hacked it, there must be loads left in the cutting room.

prime example- the scene where they are looking at the weasley in the paper in egypt. in the book that event is the reason the whole film happens. but in the film it has no plot use and no explanation.

why were the poor weaslys on holiday? why were they in the paper? why? why? why?

T

ohh...and lupin was not as cool as i imagined- when i read the book i put Rik Mayal in Brave flashhart mode in that role! (and i would rather see a cgi richard harris than gambon !)
Old 10 June 2004, 10:18 AM
yoza
BANNED

I gauge a kids film by how many times my 12 year old niece visits the loo, the film in question was a 3 visit film, which is quite poor.

She was really upset at the end when Harry died...

The next night we went to see Van Hellsink, my ears are yet to recover.

Screeming from the first minute until the last, in the film, not the audience.

Again she was upset when Van died at the end, but hey, that the way it goes.
Old 10 June 2004, 10:20 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"the film in question was a 3 visit film, which is quite poor."

3 times in 2 hours???? that needs checking by a GP!
Old 10 June 2004, 10:24 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yoza
I gauge a kids film by how many times my 12 year old niece visits the loo, the film in question was a 3 visit film, which is quite poor.

She was really upset at the end when Harry died...

The next night we went to see Van Hellsink, my ears are yet to recover.

Screeming from the first minute until the last, in the film, not the audience.

Again she was upset when Van died at the end, but hey, that the way it goes.

FFS! they all die!? no point watching the buggers now!

Old 10 June 2004, 10:28 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"FFS! they all die!? "

yep- book 4 and 5 deals with the developing relationship between crookshanks and dobby.
Old 10 June 2004, 11:01 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the best of the three -- but I haven't read any of the books. I liked the stronger narrative drive without all the usual Hogwarts "now for a feast!" b@ll@cks.

Didn't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore but Emma Thompson was a laugh and Gary Oldman was good.

And Ian Brown stole the film for me
Old 10 June 2004, 12:10 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Sorry best part must be Barry from Auf wedersien(Sp?)

As a story I did not like this film much, but I did like the way the humour has been put in the first 30 minutes, Lenny Henry and Dawn French were good. I also consider this film to be better shot than the first two, the direction and camera angles are creative, and the way they showed the passing of time was a nice touch.

This film was more about the three kids, rather than their interation with the teachers/dumbledore etc...

I have not read the books so can not comment on the films correlation to them, but as a way of passing an evening I would highly recomend it!!
Old 10 June 2004, 01:17 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I went last night and I hadn't read the book, my girlfriend has read them all.

I commented that it was a very dark depressing film that was all plot and no character. Sub plots that were irrelevent were just thrown in with speed and without explanation - most confusing to those not in the know. It was very morbid with a touch of happiness at the end. Unless you're a Potter freak its not an enjoyable film IMO
Old 10 June 2004, 01:27 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I am a huge fan of all the books and the third was my favourite.

I thought the film was the best of the lot as it involved my favourite story, but I must admit it didnt flow well in hind sight.

The book was long so I couldnt see how they were going to make them much shorter.

I would prefer if they did a lord of the rings style make of the books and aim them at adults.

Adults who say they are only kids books are in my opinion a little lacking in imagination.

The 3rd 4th anf 5th books are quite chilling and get progressively more adult in content and much darker.

They also get longer, and sadly this means I would expect the next two films to be even more hacked.

My only consolation is knowing that the books still exist and that if I want to see the stroy in its true glory I need inly start reading again.

This is not to say the films aren't worth seeing.
Old 10 June 2004, 01:41 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiggs
crookshanks and dobby.
Who?

Think I was more pi55ed off about finding out Van Halen doesn't make it to the end of his film.

Not too fussed if H Potter Esq gets the ick!
Old 10 June 2004, 02:04 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Refering to Van Helsing...
"Again she was upset when Van died at the end, but hey, that the way it goes."

Are there two versions of this film on cinema release? IIRC, the version I saw ended with the ex-god-staffmember and presumably immortal fighter of evil, mr helsing, heading off to adventures new, leaving a freshly torched extra crispy love interest behind crisping on her funeral pyre.
Old 10 June 2004, 02:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

HP is no more a kids film than star wars, indian jones, etc, etc but they are "classics"

open your minds to all the "kids books mercahnts"
Old 10 June 2004, 02:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've not seen Az yet, got the book last thursday, polished it off that night, then got Goblet of Fire at the weekend and had that read by monday evening. I'm curious to see Az, to see how it does match up to the book, but from all accounts it doesn't match up that well, which is a shame as I think Az is a rather good read, as said a lot darker than the other books and that is a good move.

Order of the Phoenix will be grabbed at the weekend, I'm curious to see how much darker the plot gets.
Old 12 June 2004, 10:07 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I won't be going to see any more Harry Potter films and they are just sh!te compared to the books. Prisoner of azkaban film was the worst so far!!
Old 12 June 2004, 11:27 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

markus.....phoenix is good- much better than goblet which i found hard going......but the films are on a downward slope now..the books get more complex and films cant do it justice
Old 12 June 2004, 06:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - Am about two thirds of the way through phoenix at the moment, very gripping. Really cannot see how they can keep the dark edge of Goblet or Phoenix without trashing most of the story.

Think I'll pop down and watch Azkaban tonight, am prepared to be disapointed, so much so I'd probably consider giving the house elf a serious kicking when I get back home.
Old 12 June 2004, 07:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

only cool thing about az is the werewolf scene...they chuck some stuff in a kids flick that if american werewolf had been able to do would have been staggering!
Old 12 June 2004, 08:21 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Saw this aft, i thought it was good but i hadnt read the books. Misses has and says its well different damn film makers

Si