Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bekham and his boyfriends.

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 10:03 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bekham and his boyfriends.

Aaaggh. A month of wall to wall football, with ballerinas diving to the ground at the merest gust of wind, over analysis of yet another boring game on every channel and yet another false dawn for English football as the chavs celebrate a 6-1 win............

.....over Iceland.

The ball is the wrong shape, played by overpaid puffs who don't give a stuff and England will yet again fail to lift a trophy.

Am I the only bloke who can't stand the game?
Old 07 June 2004, 10:10 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Aaaggh. A month of wall to wall football, with ballerinas diving to the ground at the merest gust of wind, over analysis of yet another boring game on every channel and yet another false dawn for English football as the chavs celebrate a 6-1 win............

.....over Iceland.

The ball is the wrong shape, played by overpaid puffs who don't give a stuff and England will yet again fail to lift a trophy.

another bloke who got picked last in the playground
Old 07 June 2004, 10:17 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fd'I - I live in Lisbon. Want to swap for a bit?

By the way, bit of amusing trivia for you all - on 26 June, in the middle of the period where we have an estimated half a million football fans visiting (read "age 16-30 and overflowing with testosterone and alcohol but often lacking in the cerebral department").... the city has decided to organise the Gay Pride festival.

There are planners and there are planners, but that, my friend, is a masterpiece.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:21 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Beauty.

The owner of the satchel.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:22 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Fd'I - I live in Lisbon. Want to swap for a bit?

By the way, bit of amusing trivia for you all - on 26 June, in the middle of the period where we have an estimated half a million football fans visiting (read "age 16-30 and overflowing with testosterone and alcohol but often lacking in the cerebral department").... the city has decided to organise the Gay Pride festival.

There are planners and there are planners, but that, my friend, is a masterpiece.
The Lisbon bit sounds tempting but not this month. Good luck on the 26th.

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
That would be a witty riposte from a football fan would it? Err no, we played Rugby at school - we didn't **** around with football.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:26 AM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

No, it's great when there's a big tournament on like this - when England play a match I can ride my bike on deserted roads!

Just like in the Saab advert
Old 07 June 2004, 10:34 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

That would be a witty riposte from a football fan would it? Err no, we played Rugby at school - we didn't **** around with football.
If you played rugby and liked playing it, then you would like sports as a rule, surely, and so feel no need whatsoever to slate the football?

However if you played rugby because you had to at school then I would imagine that's why you feel they way you do, hence STI Wanna Subaru's comment.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:41 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Nope I'm with you all the way - especially as it's treated as a religion in the UK. I'm just hoping our thugs, sorry I mean fans, go on the rampage before the first game and we get disqualified.

By the way - wrong forum

tiggers.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:42 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
If you played rugby and liked playing it, then you would like sports as a rule, surely, and so feel no need whatsoever to slate the football?
Huh? So, you're saying that if anyone plays Rugby then they automatically have to like other sports? Ooh, yes that must mean I love watching table tennis and netball is just fantastic to watch. And then when I've finished watching those games I'll turn the telly on to one of the the more obscure channels and watch bowling or rounders because surely as I enjoyed playing Rugby and was a reasonable player I must enjoy all forms of sports.

Deeply flawed argument, I think.

What I was hoping for was to flush out a few others who don't particularly like football but instead I get some muppet attempting to put me down because I'm not another sheep.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:50 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Another non-football fan here. Dont forget the rugby coming up - England/NZ on Saturday. Should be a good chance to see who the real world champions are!

Steve
Old 07 June 2004, 10:52 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Huh? So, you're saying that if anyone plays Rugby then they automatically have to like other sports? Ooh, yes that must mean I love watching table tennis and netball is just fantastic to watch. And then when I've finished watching those games I'll turn the telly on to one of the the more obscure channels and watch bowling or rounders because surely as I enjoyed playing Rugby and was a reasonable player I must enjoy all forms of sports.

What I was hoping for was to flush out a few others who don't particularly like football but instead I get some muppet attempting to put me down because I'm not another sheep.
I think what Spoon was getting at is that because you played Rugby that even though you don't like football you do appreciate the levels of skill and physical attributes that are required to play any sport.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:54 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I agree Football sucks mooses ****! The bit I enjoy is the dejected expressions when the team (inevitably) get beaten in the early to middle stages of most tournaments.

The bit I really don’t understand is why the BBC always have this depressing Scottish bloke (don’t know his name) providing the pre/post match analysis?

Are there no english football pundits literate enough to provide this?

UB
Old 07 June 2004, 10:56 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ok it's now clear you're not a sportsman then and just played Rugby at school because you had to.

I never implied at all you had to *like* all sports, merely appreciate the reasons why some do, if you were a rugby player yourself.

Sti WS made a classic statement that would be in the front of any sports enthusiasts mind.

He never implied you were a sheep, maybe a little pale and skinny, but not a sheep.

Edited to add: The fact that you got Beckhams name wrong, to me, speaks volumes.

Last edited by Spoon; 07 June 2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:03 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Are there no english football pundits literate enough to provide this?

UB
Seeing as this is football we're talking about I very much doubt it!!
Old 07 June 2004, 11:09 AM
yoza
BANNED

I like watching it, on the big screen, in the pub.

Ive never been to a football match in my life, even though I 'support' Liverpool FC and once lived a stones throw from Anfield.

I was sh1te at it when at school, and nothing has changed to the present day.

I dont participate in any team sports, I dont like to rely on anyone else.

We had this conversation in work last week, someone suggested I take up 'tenpin bowling', as it is simply YOU against SOMEONE else, one on one so to speak....Yeah right !..
Old 07 June 2004, 11:19 AM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Damn, that was me. They didn't even want me in goal I was so crap! It meant that I had to go and play with the girls instead :P Hey, I had no choice in the matter, OK?
Old 07 June 2004, 11:25 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It meant that I had to go and play with the girls instead
Jammy git

Anyway, as I always say.
Football is a gentlemans game played by thugs
and
Rugby is a thugs game played by thugs
Old 07 June 2004, 11:26 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It is so encouraging to see the Brits really getting behind their national team and putting aside their petty squabbles for a change and showing support and really being proud to be British!

So you don't like football but unfortunately it is a way of life that England has adopted.

So England individually have a very talanted team but collectively don't meet upto other teams standards, but so what can yu not just either watch the games and lend them your support or just switch it off and do something else, but do you really have to keep mouthing of your distain(sp) for the team and the sport?

They may be over paid fairies but at least they are representing their country in a lost cause rather than sitting behind a computer slagging someone off they are to useless to even contemplate replacing. I am crap at football always have been always will be, I am also not a football fan but I will be supporting my national team right up until the get beaten.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:27 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry is this the Take a break magazine forum?

Bunch of old women
Old 07 June 2004, 11:34 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Football is a queers game
Old 07 June 2004, 11:34 AM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Like Wurzy says Support your country even if you don't like the sport!

Btw I don't like Rugby, but if we take on the All Blacks then I know which team I'll support .

Richard
Old 07 June 2004, 11:48 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
So you don't like football but unfortunately it is a way of life that England has adopted.
And there lies the problem - it's not the game so much, but the way it's treated in England.

You'd think it was a religion not a sport and it's all very well saying turn it off and do something else, but it's in your face no matter what you do or where you go. You can't even go for a drive now without some dumbass in a Saxo trying to cut you up with two stupid tattered little England flags sticking out the top of his French ****box.

And don't even get me started on the violence and thuggery aspect of the game - that's a whole subject in itself.

tiggers.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:49 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Ok it's now clear you're not a sportsman then and just played Rugby at school because you had to.

I never implied at all you had to *like* all sports, merely appreciate the reasons why some do, if you were a rugby player yourself.
Err, how did you come to that assumption? I finished playing Rugby competitively four years ago.

Here we go again. Is comprehension that difficult? You stated that...

"If you played rugby and liked playing it, then you would like sports as a rule, surely, and so feel no need whatsoever to slate the football?"

You can't back track from your original statement unless you're prepared to admit you're wrong. Why do you feel the need to denigrate me with some of your lame attempts at put downs - can you not try a coherent argument instead?

Sti WS made a classic statement that would be in the front of any sports enthusiasts mind.

He never implied you were a sheep, maybe a little pale and skinny, but not a sheep.

Edited to add: The fact that you got Beckhams name wrong, to me, speaks volumes.
No, I made the remark about sheep and didn't ascribe it to another poster so what's your point?

Wow, I made a spelling error - my apologies but at least it made you feel better to point it out.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:50 AM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Totally agree about the darker side of the game tiggers, but that's really a problem of the supporters, not the game, and even then only about 0.001% of the "supporters" . One good thing about being here in Sausageland - the supporters can be quite vocal, but it's very rare that there's any crowd violence as they're not drunk to oblivion.

R
Old 07 June 2004, 11:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Rugby, a game that completely lacks any skill requirements. Pick up a ball then leg it down a field whilst a load of mincers jump on you

At least footie needs skill!!
Old 07 June 2004, 11:56 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Re-Bitten Hero
Like Wurzy says Support your country even if you don't like the sport!

Btw I don't like Rugby, but if we take on the All Blacks then I know which team I'll support .

Richard
I like the sentiment RBH but I can only support my country if I agree with what I'm supporting and all too often I find that football crosses the boundary from patriotism to jingoism.

To my mind, England should be up there with the best like the Rugby team. There seem to be some talented players but I get the impression they just don't care enough and would prefer to just rake in the money for little personal outlay. As yet, no-one has even attempted to counter my initial point other than trying to put me down which kind of supports my view of the average football supporter.

As it seems that I'm going to be far from alone in my complete boredom this month at least I'll be able to get out on my bike and get fit.

Old 07 June 2004, 12:02 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

Was asked by an Ozzie fella, yesterday, why most of the cars had flags on them. To avoid him thinking we're all football thugs I told him they were for St George's Day
Old 07 June 2004, 12:03 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

i prefer the violence to the football!
its all about the aftermatch ruck in a nearby pub!
astraboy.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:04 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

As yet, no-one has even attempted to counter my initial point other than trying to put me down which kind of supports my view of the average football supporter.
Yeah but you broke one of their commandments - you spelt Beckham's name wrong - in fact I should go into hiding before they hunt you down and give you a good kicking in the usual footy fan style
Old 07 June 2004, 12:12 PM
yoza
BANNED

Seeing as though football violence has been mentioned.

What sort of person would find England football supporters violence a good thing.

Something to be proud of.

Someone who would be disapointed if it didnt all go off before, and after the game.

Quick Reply: Bekham and his boyfriends.