Converting 'normal' photos to digital images

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 03:15 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 'normal' photos to digital images

Afternoon all,

Just something I was thinking about today. Having a bit of a clear out and ive dug out a bag of what is probably 2000 plus photographs taken over the past 20 years or so.

I would really like these on the computer as digital images as I no longer use a 'normal' camera and would like everything to be digital.

Now im aware there is a digital-to-print service available from most photo outlets but is anyone aware of the reverse of this process - like a mass scanning procedure?

I could obviously scan them all myself but I dont quite fancy doing that considering the numbers!

Cheers

David
Old 06 June 2004, 03:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

You can get someone to do it, but it is pricey. Even the High St places like Jessops cost quite a bit - you're probably looking at £1/scan at least.

The most cost effective method would just to use a flatbed scanner. Tedious, but cheap. Remember, you can fit more than 1 photo on a A4 scanner, so may only be 500-1000 scans. I did this not so long ago with a bunch of old family photos - just scanned in as many at a time as would fit on the scanner. I didn't bother splitting them into separate files (although the software can do this)....just grouped them. If I ever need one on its own, I can just separate it out myself digitally.

It's a long tedious task....did it over several weeks during the winter. Did 20 scans at a time. Used a laptop so I could do it in the lounge while watching tv etc....no-brainer task though.
Old 06 June 2004, 04:33 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Cheers imlach looks like thats what im gonna do then
Old 06 June 2004, 04:48 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Do you still have the negs? If so, just hand them in to your local photo lab and they can digitize them for you. Otherwise, there are places which will take your prints and scan them for you - save you from the drugery of doing it yourself !
Old 06 June 2004, 05:09 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

If you have the negatives, it might well worth you buying your own digital scanner. Scanning from prints is a second best option because the very process of making prints from negatives means you lose clarity and definition. So the best results will be to scan the negatives.
Old 06 June 2004, 08:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My colleague at work got a load done from negative at the photo point in the local Asda for 8 quid per 100