Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur fully.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=331872
Old 06 June 2004, 09:56 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

its very upsetting and moving watching the old film footage and hearing the 'old boys' talking about what they went through.

then i think of what state this countries in today and what thret we have from those countries we fort in Europe and the middle east/asia and it makes me think what life was wasted 60yrs..... for what!
(just my opinion btw)

Phil
Old 06 June 2004, 10:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Salsa

Would you like to be living in a repressive country where you had no say whatsoever in how you conduct your own life. Where the State had absolute power over the people by the use of force and you lived a grey life of just attending your daily allotted job and not being able to say a word against the government for fear that the "thought police" would turn up in the middle of the night to take you off to the "re-training" establishment, or just being put away in an asylum with no recourse, or just disappearing. It would of course be a brave new world with only the right people being allowed to live in it as long as they had the correct genes!

I could go on of course,but this is what those brave men fought and risked their lives to stop happening. They had the guts and sense of responsibility to do so. So far this nightmare has not surfaced for us, but it could do of course. We should never forget that and should strive to maintain our democracy which was so hard fought for. The line between a free life and the other living hell is a fine one and we should never hand our freedom away. Easy to do but almost impossible to regain.

Defeatism is the enemy and the real danger is in the dropping of moral standards.

Les
Old 06 June 2004, 10:55 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
For those who lived and died for our freedom in a dark time, we salute you

Indeed
Respect.

Those war graves on tv this morning - quite moving, just te sheer number of them, and the way they're laid out. Just rows and rows of white gravestones.
Makes you think...
Old 06 June 2004, 10:55 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I went over there a few years back on a boat trip diving off the landing sites. The scale of the operation was breathtaking. Very humbling.

Darren
Old 06 June 2004, 11:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Would you like to be living in a repressive country where you had no say whatsoever in how you conduct your own life. Where the State had absolute power over the people by the use of force and you lived a grey life of just attending your daily allotted job and not being able to say a word against the government for fear that the "thought police" would turn up in the middle of the night to take you off to the "re-training" establishment, or just being put away in an asylum with no recourse, or just disappearing. It would of course be a brave new world with only the right people being allowed to live in it as long as they had the correct genes!
I hate to say this, and I'm not wanting to create a flame war. But the above is exactly how I feel about the UK. Although it's done on a "passive" basis rather than active. All through the media, taxation, and political correctness, I could go on. The general publics views and wishes are suppressed or washed over by very clever public relations and diversion tactics. This country holds increasingly less and less "freedom". Nanny state tactics, IR payments, the cashless society, a camera following your every move ready to pick up on the slightest minor offence you make. The government can trace your every move, the excuse is to track, and control criminals. Yet criminals still can keep one step ahead, remain anonymous, and reap the rewards of their crime. Whilst general public, fall foul of these measures, pays to enforce it, and endures living with it.

I feel sad that thousands died fighting for a country that is evolving to what it is now. It does make question what would have happened is speculative if we lost. I'm sure the world would be very different, we would know we aren't free rather than currently thinking that we are free. Perhaps my idea of freedom is trivial, but that is how I feel.

The people who fought for our country had no choice, and it cost many of them their lives, they hold my utmost respect, as they stood in the belief of what was right. But I'm afraid I cannot say that this country is good, or right for it's people
Old 06 June 2004, 11:44 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Ahem, staying on topic.... Those guys all have my absolute respect.

UB
Old 06 June 2004, 11:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

[little kid mode]

He started it

[/little kid mode]

Peace, God bless them all
Old 06 June 2004, 12:12 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
For those who lived and died for our freedom in a dark time, we salute you

Tony
Respect.

When I was younger, the war didn't seem to matter too much. Now I'm older and, hopefully wiser, I understand and respect much more what those guys went through. Heros all of them.
Old 06 June 2004, 01:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I'll just add my thanks and respect to this thread.

I remember my Grandads stories of Normandy, he was in bomb disposal and his most moving story was of his best mate who threw himself on a mine to save his comrades. His unit was the first unit to liberate one French village and he still recieved letters and cards from the french village until he died around eight years ago.

Makes me really sad when we see some of the youth of today vandalising and making the life of old folk a misery. They don't deserve to breath the same air IMO.

Lee
Old 06 June 2004, 03:53 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

great posts on this thread and yes true respect, heroes who fought in appalling conditions for the freedom of everyone.

We salute you one and all!

Gary
Old 06 June 2004, 05:45 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Those old boys deserve the fullest respect.
Old 06 June 2004, 06:00 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Up most respect to them all, if it wern't for them, god knows what would have happened, God bless them all
Cheers
Colin
Old 06 June 2004, 06:20 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Utmost respect to all the veterans, and their lost colleagues.
Old 06 June 2004, 06:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Another one to say how much a debt of gratitude we owe every single person involved in the D-Day landings and the 2nd World War altogether.

Their sacrifices for the world should never be forgotten.

Absolute respect
Old 06 June 2004, 09:19 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

R E S P E C T
Old 06 June 2004, 10:03 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

All I have to say If it wasn't for them, what would be now???

Respect.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:15 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
Salsa

I could go on of course,but this is what those brave men fought and risked their lives to stop happening. They had the guts and sense of responsibility to do so. So far this nightmare has not surfaced for us, but it could do of course. We should never forget that and should strive to maintain our democracy which was so hard fought for. The line between a free life and the other living hell is a fine one and we should never hand our freedom away. Easy to do but almost impossible to regain.

Defeatism is the enemy and the real danger is in the dropping of moral standards.

Les

lol.

I'm not saying that i do, or would wish that on anyone.. but you have to look at where we are now.
All i'm saying is if you said to my grand parents and all those who HAD to go to fight for 'our' country 60 yrs ago.. that 60yrs on the UK would be moving towards a single currency with Europe.. rules being thrown at us from Brussels on how we should run things. All boarder gates seem to be open to every Tom, Dick and Mr Abdull Mohammed, I think they would have said never. But now you see everyone has to comply with PC-ness. We are not allowed to say what we want.. what we really want in case of upsetting someONE. Minorities rule the majority with the majority in fear of speaking their minds. It would then make you think of all the lives that were wasted fighting for King and country all those years ago.

Its too upsetting to think of young life wasted in that way to have a country going down the pan that we seen to be getting now.
Back then ppl had respect for each other and children knew their place, streets where safer no need to lock your back door etc etc etc
Do you think the youth of today would give so much up for our country now?

You tell me where things have gone wrong.

Yes they fought for freedom from Hitlar...... only to let another enemy in.

Old 07 June 2004, 12:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ali B and Salsa,

Good to see that you are both thinking men when you look at what has been happening in modern times.

The point I was making in my post of course is that we should be alive to it and fight to the bitter end to prevent it happening, not just for ourselves and our descendants but also in the memory of those unbelievably brave people we have been celebrating recently.

Les
Old 07 June 2004, 07:04 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I know what your were saying.. your last line was was very good.

But at them end of the day i feel life is cheap, life was wasted to fight for something that 60 yrs on has come in via a back door and in in another way. All what was being fought for seems irrispective in todays trouble times where an un known threat is shadowing over us from furture afield.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Your point is correct I reckon, but I also feel that we must be prepared to hang on to our own moderate and unselfish set of values and not to allow these manipulative and self seeking people take over our lives. The price of failure is far too high.

The approaching **** threat before the 2nd World War felt very much the same as what is happening now.

Les
Old 07 June 2004, 08:12 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down You are joking right?

Originally Posted by Leslie
The approaching **** threat before the 2nd World War felt very much the same as what is happening now.

Les
Absolute rubbish.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are entitled to pass such a remark of course, but can you justify it?
Old 07 June 2004, 10:50 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Leslie, much as I agree with your frustration at the 'state of our country' as it is - to say it is much the same as the **** threat prior to WW2 is rubbish imho. I don't see one country hellbent on ruling all around it, I don't see one regime systematically exterminating millions of innocent people purely on the basis of their creed or ethnicity etc etc

I do see our country lost in a world of PC rubbish where mainstream politicians are afraid to stand up for the legitimate British citizen against European nonsense and the pressures of illegal immigration, where we must be seen to be oh so caring and sharing that we all suffer for it, but however distasteful this is I would not compare it to Nazism.

Perhaps you'd like to justify your comment?
Old 07 June 2004, 10:59 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

There is a swelling in the **** movement in Western Germany at the moment similar to that of the late 1930's although I don't think the movement will be allowed to get out of hand this time.
Old 07 June 2004, 10:59 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I think the current generation of intolerent polically correct activists display many of the same traits that characterised **** behaviour. They have so far had to stop short of the selective culling of those they despise, but for how long I wonder.

UB

Quick Reply: D-Day, 60 years on.