Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ending a lease/rental agreement early?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 08:15 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ending a lease/rental agreement early?

What would be the most cost effective way of ending a rental agreement early?
Im not holding much hope, I imagine its more at the letting agents discretion, so they could potentially charge me the remaining 6 months, but really want out, and am looking for any way to do it without incurring huge expenses.

Situation is its a standard rental agreement with a big letting agency, and there is 6 months remaining on the lease.
A large block of flats has started to be built basically right outside my flat, and as a nightshift worker, its going to get to a point where I either have to give up my job (not really an option) or give up the flat!! as the noise outside everyday means I am getting only a couple hours sleep before returning for twelve hours of night shift.
Its making me extremely tempermental, tired, and unhappy, and Im pretty much fed up. problem is its not anyones fault, letting agency let the flat in good faith, builders are just doing their job, but im stuck there, and the size of the block looks about a 6 month job to complete at least.

Any ideas?
Old 03 June 2004, 08:32 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, how long is the lease in total? When did you move in?

Are you not on a 1 or 2 months notice of termination, rather than having to fulfill the whole 6 months?
Old 03 June 2004, 08:41 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

With checking the agreement, it doesnt mention notice in there, ill have a dig around tomorrow for any other forms I have on the place.
Hopefuly so, and that would mean I only have to server the notice and I can leave without incurring any further costs?

The agreement forms I do have mention being responsible for the entire term of the lease, its 1 year, and im 6 months into it currently.

Cheers
Graham
Old 03 June 2004, 08:52 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Might be worth going into the agents and explaining the situation. They may be decent people who will sympathise with your situation and let you out of the agreement.

Aside from that, did you know (or were you informed by the agency) about the new flats being built?
Old 03 June 2004, 08:55 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Hmm.....a SAT (Short Assured Tenancy) is generally 6 months minimum, but I'm assuming it CAN be 12 months minimum. I'm not sure.

You need to dig out your docs I guess and check. If it is 12 months minimum, there are other ways. For instance, you could leave, but may incur their costs until a new tenant is found. So, if you can line up a new tenant yourself to take over (subject to them liking them), you could get out early without having to pay the full 12 months.
Old 03 June 2004, 09:36 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Yes, it was 12 months with a 6 month break clause, but I foolishly renewed last month.
Its all so annoying, I was in two minds about moving after 6 months, waited till it was too late, and ended up doing nothing and thereby extending the lease, and now the building has started its just made me more angry I didnt get out after 6 months!!

I didnt know about the flats Dracoro, it was a parking area previously, and as parking is scarce here, I never suspected anything would get built there. To add to this, I was speaking to one of the local shop owners, and they are going to be flats for ex prisoners and prisoners whose crimes dont warrant jail!! great, more scum hanging around, though hopefully Im not still here when my "neighbours" move in.
Old 03 June 2004, 10:06 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I THINK (using the term loosely) that the 6 month break clause means that you are now on 1 month renewals/notice so you may be OK. Regardless I think you MAY terminate the agreement and not have to pay the remaining months but you will most likely lose your deposit. The only way you'll know is to speak to the agents.

I was on a 12 month contract which I renewed, however in this 2nd year I can give one months notice as the next 12 months is seen as an extension contract but I can give 1 months notice at anytime (and the landlord can give me 2 months notice) and get any deposit etc. back and not be liable for the rest of the term.