Barcodes

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 05:03 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barcodes

Afternoon!

Is there a universal 'language' for barcodes? If I wanted to turn a number (Phone number etc) into a barcode, could it then be read in another country using a scanner, to turn it back into the original number?

Are there lots of variations of barcodes so that a code read by one scanner could be completely different for another? Or are they all the same?

Cheers!
Old 02 June 2004, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The black bars represent numbers and or letters, they are 1 to 1 mapped, so if you are using barcode "type A" then a "1" will always look the same. However, there are different standards for what a barcode "1" looks like. A bit like typing something in word then changing the font, it isn't being translated to something different as far as meaning goes just appearance. There are however different "type faces" for bar codes. If you know which one then yes you can "en-code" and "de-code" without too much of a problem
Old 02 June 2004, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

As a side note, if you hunt about a bit, you can find most of them as true type fonts that you can use in words. Normally the barcode is just a numeric product code.
Old 02 June 2004, 05:11 PM
ChrisB

Indeed, lots of different standards.

Code 3 of 9 for instance is simple to encode.

EAN 13 means working out the check digit of the barcode from the first 12 digits.

Companies like Fontware sell neat little solutions of a True Type font for Windows and VBA modules to use in Access, Excel etc for generating the string which you just format in the barcode font.
Old 02 June 2004, 05:11 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
The black bars represent numbers and or letters, they are 1 to 1 mapped, so if you are using barcode "type A" then a "1" will always look the same. However, there are different standards for what a barcode "1" looks like. A bit like typing something in word then changing the font, it isn't being translated to something different as far as meaning goes just appearance. There are however different "type faces" for bar codes. If you know which one then yes you can "en-code" and "de-code" without too much of a problem
Thanks OllyK. Any ideas if there is one type face that is particularly more popular than others?

I'm trying to make a barcode which contains a number, on my PC to print out and send to a friend in Australia who works in a supermarket. I'd like her to be able to scan it and get the number... Sounds odd I know...

Cheers!
Old 02 June 2004, 05:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Looks like ChrisB knows a tad more about it than me!
Old 02 June 2004, 05:12 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Indeed, lots of different standards.

Code 3 of 9 for instance is simple to encode.

EAN 13 means working out the check digit of the barcode from the first 12 digits.

Companies like Fontware sell neat little solutions of a True Type font for Windows and VBA modules to use in Access, Excel etc for generating the string which you just format in the barcode font.
Thanks Chris - I've got the "3 of 9" font but it makes a HUGE barcode with a 15 digit number... Around 50 lines I'd guess...

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2004, 05:14 PM
ChrisB

Odd indeed

I can encode / print EAN13 and Code 3 of 9 to name a couple. Not sure what standard Australia uses though. America has assorted standards
Old 02 June 2004, 05:22 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Not sure whether it helps or not but I seem to remember Corel Draw has a barcode generator, that will encode to different standards.
Old 02 June 2004, 05:24 PM
ChrisB

Looks like they mainly use EAN-UCC but no idea if that is the same as EAN13.

To encode 3 of 9 on one of my projects, it was just a case of puting a * at the start and end of the number.
Old 02 June 2004, 05:45 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

We use Zebra Bar-One to print our labels using a Zebra 90 XiII thermal transfer barcode printer. Generally we use Code39 barcodes, but we have the hardware to read pretty much any barcode.

You'll find that many symbologies such as Telepen require licences to use them.

If you need any info, drop me a mail.