Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phuket, Thailand. Anyone been there?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 07:14 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phuket, Thailand. Anyone been there?

Although I have been to Bangkok on more than 30 (business) occasions, I have never been to the southern beaches.
I am hopefully going to Phuket later in the year for a week's break. Any comments to help me choose resort and hotel would be welcomed.
Currently I am leaning towards Patong as the resort as I want a more lively place with lots of restaurants.
I also want a high quality hotel near the beach.
Old 01 June 2004, 08:37 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Banyan Tree resort is the best there I believe.

I stayed and loved it..........depends what your looking for
Old 01 June 2004, 09:40 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Went there in March and stayed at the Chedi which is a very nice but accordingly pricey, about 20 min drive from Patong. Very nice private beach etc.

Chedi aside, was disappointed with Phuket on the whole as I'd always pictured it being beautiful and quiet. It is quite quiet but I wouldn't say beautiful.

Patong is indeed the only lively place on the island by the looks of it but the beach looked like a traffic jam and the place was worringly full of 'brits abroad' types. Its a bit of a tip in comparison to places like Kho Pan Ghan in my humble opinion, though I guess it depends what you're after. There's quite a bit of beach activity, jet skis, waterskiing etc. Just not what I was after for this break.

I like a bit of nightlife but would not have wanted to stay in Patong full time. I guess it might be ok for a single bloke but visiting for 2 evenings was enough for me. Every shop sells the same stuff and every bar contains brit boozers and local 'talent' helping them with their money. The bar-chick standard is waaay down on Bangkok.

Quite a few families about too though. Food ok, prices good as always in Thailand. I wouldn't think of going back though faced with some of the stunning alternatives in the country.

On the plus side, there are some top day trips if you want to get out of Patong. Stuff like sea kayaking, elephant riding etc. All top quality days out and again relatively cheap.

And as always the Thais are very friendly.

Last edited by juan; 01 June 2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01 June 2004, 10:40 AM
ChrisB

My G/F has just come back from Phuket with her Sister.

Looked superb from the pictures and what they've said - beaches by their hotel were empty, they were first to the pool at 9 in the morning.

Will ask her tonight which hotel they went to
Old 01 June 2004, 02:05 PM
Caledonian
Scooby Newbie

Are you going alone? Patong is just another Patpong/Nana/Pattaya now. Samui is a better option for a break and has the benefit of a higher percentage of female girls! Nowadays I find the rest of the island too quiet and Patong a bit much, imagine a week solid in Patpong. As juan said a lot of "brits abroad" forcing the prices up for all kinds of goods and services and generally giving it that "costa feel" Samui would get my vote.